Where a complete newbie could find guidance/assistance with an AR build?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    I've decided to try my hand at a 10.5-11.5 AR pistol.

I've got a few issues on where to go.

I am doing some dorky custom meme engraved lower. That's what convinced me to build in the first place. I really want this lower to have a specific roll mark and selector markings.

So it looks my options are

Order an engraved lower

Order a blank lower and get it engraved

Things I don't know:

The difference in finish afterwards between: Getting an anodized lower engraved, vs getting raw aluminum engraved, then anodized after.

What it would cost me in tools to finish an 80% lower? (On one hand, it feels strange to order a complete lower, then pay more in transfer fees than the cost of the item, on the other hand, why save a few $ on a lower then have to spend more than I saved to be able to finish it?) Also it appears using a blank 80 gives me more options for doing my own engraving

As someone lacking both the tools and the experience, is this something you could take to a hobby shop and work on? I've always found DIY public access hobbyist shops for wood work and auto work. Curious if a similar solution exists.

Thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The difference will be, if you engrave after anodizing, you will have the engraving be raw aluminum color.

So contracting with the darker anodized color.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    What it would cost me in tools to finish an 80% lower? (On one hand, it feels strange to order a complete lower, then pay more in transfer fees than the cost of the item, on the other hand, why save a few $ on a lower then have to spend more than I saved to be able to finish it?) Also it appears using a blank 80 gives me more options for doing my own engraving

Thanks

I have watched a YouTube Video where a man uses a Dremel to finish an 80%. A cheap harbor freight table top drill press would be next in line as far as cash outlay.
    So I guess it all depends on your personal skill set and how much you want to spend.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    I’m curious, what dorky custom meme are you using?

Well, I keep seeing all these Space Force meme builds

And since I’m a child of the 80’s and a Marine vet, I’m looking at doing an “original space force” i.e., 1986 Aliens, Colonial Space Marines build.

I’m still deciding what that would actually look like, but I’m thinking probably a 10.5-12 inch, Mlok, Aliens theme rollmark, “Weiland-Yutani Corporation” manufacturer info, and

Earth - Space - LV-426 Selector labels.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Depends upon how large the engravings are. Small engravings and letters can be color filled pretty easily. Larger engravings are more difficult to color fill. If you wanted it all black, you could have it engraved and then Cerakoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom