• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Knowing how retentive MD is about firearms I figured I should ask here first. supposin I live in a townhouse development in AA county with a fenced back yard. Can i shoot a bb gun or airsoft out the back basement door at a "target" taped to the back fence- legally?

what about carryin/usin it to scare away unwanted varmints that crawl over and under the fence (since I know a 45 makes way too much bang)

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    Contact your local CLEO / Or just do it until theres a problem and hope for the best. My son use to shoot his BB Gun against the shed where we would place targets when he was a teen no problems then but we kept it low key.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    AA county I am sure is ok with it as long as it the BB does not leave your property by ricochet even.
    Most local laws allow using your BB on private property you own or live on, or have permission from the owner.

(a) Definition. In this section, "weapon" means a bow and arrow, BB gun, slingshot, or other device designed to discharge a pellet or other object by force of a spring, elastic band, gas cylinder, air cylinder, or gas or air cartridge.

(b) Prohibitions. A person may not sell, give away, lend, or otherwise transfer a weapon to a minor. A person may not discharge or use a weapon on private property without the express permission of the owner or other person entitled to possession of the property. A person may not discharge or use a weapon except in a manner that will prevent the discharged pellet or object from traversing grounds or space outside the limits of the property on which the weapon is discharged or used. A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings unless the discharge is at a bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult or there is in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop.

Using it on varmints I have no idea about because that may or may not count as "hunting".

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I use mine in the backyard to snipe a tree rats, ground hogs and possums but as I understand it - it's a not legal within 100 foot of human dwellings.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    back when i lived in crofton.. we did it anyways.. hell we even ran around the community having urban bb gun wars

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I checked with local law(harford co) they informed me in townhome community under adult supervision(still trying to find that) it is allowed

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Interesting timing - within a few hours of posting I'm downstairs watching TV with the door open so the dogs can come and go and I see one come in with his head bowed. I call and he drops what he's carrying - a juvenile possum. Of course it runs behind the 22 and mosin gun cases and is cornered by the fireplace. I have a large plastic bin with some bayonets in that as I dumped it out to use as a trap the noise scared it right into my son who had a shirt out. Low tech for the win.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    AA County has a specific local ordnance that prohibits you from shooting a BB gun within 300' of an occupied dwelling.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    AA County has a specific local ordnance that prohibits you from shooting a BB gun within 300' of an occupied dwelling.
    Read my earlier post a little closer. It seems as if this does not apply when:

A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings unless the discharge is at a bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult or there is in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop.

I could be wrong in how I read it, but it seems that as long as there is a sufficient backstop it is ok.

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    Get your neighbors in on the action to and you won't have a problem. That's what we did at our townhouse in pasadener. One neighbor would bring beer, another food, another something else and while the chicks talked, we'd stand on the back deck and shoot at a doller bill and who ever got George, got George.

I sound like a redneck. But it really was a lot of fun back then(2 years ago) when I had younger neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom