• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Not looking for specific recipes but mainly what bullets and powder everyone likes for subsonic 300 blk. I'll be running this through a Ruger ranch rifle for now until my SBR stamps are approved. I've read good things about the heavier Amax and the Lehigh. The Lehigh are a little over my budget but the amax is fine. Also I'd like to use this to shoot whitetails as well as paper/varmints. As far as powder 1680 seems to be the standard the last few years but has anything new popped up that's better? Thanks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IT is REALLY tough to get subsonics to pass the MD deer regs for power (1200 ftlbs) unless you are going pistol (700ft-lbs), even that takes a heavy bullet and pushing the velocity to the edge of subsonic. (not sure its possible)

I have only dabbled in 300blk but yet to get anything as accurate/consistant as the 300blk subsonic loads I purchased from TomKat (208gr
    amax bullet).

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Hunting whitetails with subsonic rounds is inhumane.

They won't expand.

They will pass clean through.

I beg to differ. People said hunting them with .223 was inhumane as well and there are plenty of posts and stories proving otherwise. I bow hunt, muzzleloader hunt, shotgun hunt and rifle hunt and have killed my share of deer. A 200 gr bullet from a subsonic 300 blackout at 30 yards is going to be just as deadly as anything else in the woods.

As for making ft/lbs I never even thought about the reg minimum. Maybe the answer is an AR pistol.....

Major03

Ultimate Member
    You could hunt a deer with a .22LR...but doesn't mean you "should." I'm sure with proper shot placement, and with a shooter who was disciplined enough to keep themselves from shooting at ranges where accurate shot placement wasn't certain it'd kill just fine. That said, I don't think it is a very wise choice.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, 1680 is the powder I use for my subs. 11.0 - 11.5 grns depending on the bullet.

Some cheaper choices than what you've suggested, and I've found every bit as accurate out to the ranges I've shot my subs (100 yd and in).

Try King Shooter's Supply (I think that's the name of the company). They make a lead cast, plastic coated bullet that is very accurate and consistent. It's purple, and my reloads look like lipsticks...so the aesthetic may not appeal to you. They are the best / cheap bullet I've found.

I've also just ordered 500 Berry 220 gr seconds from Midsouth (currently on sale). Those are fully copper plated and look more "traditional." Only slightly more expensive than the King Shooters'...but I don't know how they'll fly yet.

My "don't really care how much they cost" bullet is the 220 gr Sierra Match King. They are very accurate, and very expensive lol.

Also, if you're waiting on an SBR stamp...why not turn that AR into a pistol (unless it's already been turned into a rifle?). Gets you up and having fun while you wait for the ATF permission for a collapsible stock.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I initially tried using Hornady 225 grain match bullets but didn't have any luck. I had a hard time getting them subsonic and cycling my action. I switched over to the 220 grain Sierra pro hunters and with the same charges, I was getting much lower speeds. I don't know if the pro hunters will expand at subsonic speeds, but I don't care either. I'm not using it for hunting.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Finding any .30 cal projectiles that'll expand at sub-sonic speeds is a tough one. Assume they won't.

I'm assuming you're talking about an AR in terms of cycling the action? What length gas system are you using? Pistol is standard for 300 BLK, but some have carbine length. You may need to invest in an adjustable gas block. Some rifles are tricky to get the subs to cycle reliably.

Also, adding a suppressor will add some back pressure and get it cycling more reliably :) If you need an excuse to add another tax stamp to the SBR project...just saying...

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    There are a couple expanding .308 bullets made for 300 blk as you probably already know(https://www.lehighdefense.com/produ...sion-194gr-subsonic-bullet?variant=1073832868). The only thing bad about hunting WT with subs is their trajectory, especially the drop at longer ranges. You make the comparison of archery, well that's pretty reasonable, as long as you keep your shots short and predictable. I would not try shots beyond 75 yds. with my gun shooting subs(I have no plans on hunting with subs though)

As for powder, I still use 1680 for all my subs. There are other good powders out there, I'm sure. I just haven't had a chance to experiment with them yet.
    My go to bullet is the 220g Hornady ELD-X. They are super accurate.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    OP, 1680 is the powder I use for my subs. 11.0 - 11.5 grns depending on the bullet.

Some cheaper choices than what you've suggested, and I've found every bit as accurate out to the ranges I've shot my subs (100 yd and in).

Try King Shooter's Supply (I think that's the name of the company). They make a lead cast, plastic coated bullet that is very accurate and consistent. It's purple, and my reloads look like lipsticks...so the aesthetic may not appeal to you. They are the best / cheap bullet I've found.

I've also just ordered 500 Berry 220 gr seconds from Midsouth (currently on sale). Those are fully copper plated and look more "traditional." Only slightly more expensive than the King Shooters'...but I don't know how they'll fly yet.

My "don't really care how much they cost" bullet is the 220 gr, Sierra Match King. They are very accurate, and very expensive lol.

Also, if you're waiting on an SBR stamp...why not turn that AR into a pistol (unless it's already been turned into a rifle?). Gets you up and having fun while you wait for the ATF permission for a collapsible stock.

I have been reloading 300BO for years and I use the 220 Berry's with about 11.3 grains of A1680. In both a 12.5" and a 16" AAC upper in 1/7 twist the round has enough terminal velocity to cause collateral damage to a dear. Remeber that 300 BO is idea for feral pigs. I do know for a fact that the 220 MK Sierra are hollow point and they expand into four petals once they hit their target.:)

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Just shoot supersonic for whitetails and subsonic for everything else. There are a few good 125gr softpoint options, as well as the Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX. Do that. Then for subsonic, as Major03 pointed out, the King Shooters Supply purples are tops for accuracy, price, and consistency. They also use a lot less powder which is very appealing. 1680 is good, Win 296 works well also, or if you can find it try Vihta Vuori N-110 or N-120.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I'm a fan of the 245 gr Missouribulletcompany coated cast bullets. They are probably the cheapest you are going to find for blackout bullets, they are consistent and less than 2 moa at 100 yards. If you are banging steel or punching paper they are perfect. If you are worried about sub MOA accuracy, you aren't shooting the right gun.

I run 8.6 gr of H110. A lot of people recommend A1680 for unsuppressed subs but as long as you have a pistol length gas system and standard carbine buffer and spring H110 should run just fine unsuppressed. I use H110 because I have it for 357 and 44 and it's also a powder of choice for supersonic blkout.

I wouldn't hunt with subs since supers will be much more usable beyond 100 yards. They will also expand provided you get the right bullet.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Nosler has a subsonic 300 blk bullet that looks interesting. It looks a bit more like a pistol bullet.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Picked up some CFE Black and lil gun on the recommendation of a few guys at my club. Will order some Speer TNT 125gr for supers (same guys recommend them) and some 220gr sierra pro hunter RN for subs, some of the Nosler 220 RN ballistic tips and some Nosler 220 HPBT for sub use and accuracy testing.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Nosler has a subsonic 300 blk bullet that looks interesting. It looks a bit more like a pistol bullet.

I checked these out online and they look like they will have similar bearing surface as the Sierra Pro Hunters so they should work well for subs. These have a polymer tip vs the pro hunters which are just exposed lead tips. I wonder how the pro hunters expand at subsonic speeds?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Picked up some CFE Black and lil gun on the recommendation of a few guys at my club. Will order some Speer TNT 125gr for supers (same guys recommend them) and some 220gr sierra pro hunter RN for subs, some of the Nosler 220 RN ballistic tips and some Nosler 220 HPBT for sub use and accuracy testing.

The Speer 125 TNT is a great supersonic choice for 300 BLK. I vacillate between those and Varmageddon 110's...depending on what's on sale.

The Varmageddons are a touch more accurate for me at around 1 MOA, but the Speer's come in around 1.5 MOA and are plenty accurate enough for me and what I use the SBR for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom