• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I heard this yesterday on the radio and thought it was interesting. Delaware is actually loosening restrictions on Mopeds to encourage their use.

"The law only requires helmets if you're under 16-years-old, no insurance is required for a moped and if you're a visitor from a state where mopeds are not required to register that will also be honored in Delaware."

Would be curious if anyone else notice this subtle news bite.

http://wgmd.com/governor-markell-signs-moped-bill-into-law-in-rehoboth-beach/

http://wgmd.com/gov-markell-to-sign-moped-bill-into-law-in-rehoboth-beach/

http://www.delaware1059.com/story.php?id=11023

Delaware makes it easier!

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I was just on the shore and I am sure MD is still screwing with riders. Ridiculous how laws can change in a matter of feet, but your surroundings look the same. Also, noticed how gas was $.10 cheaper in DE.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Apparently Delaware is classifying motor scooters (without pedals) as mopeds, is that right?

To me, a moped is a sort of heavy bicycle with a small engine. It can be pedaled like a bike, and I think you pedal them to start the engine. Have I got that right?

How does Maryland treat mopeds and scooters? Onerous regulations, taxes, and restrictions?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Mandatory helmets, titling, and insurance. Used to be scooters under 50cc exempt from helmet law - not anymore...

Let's not forget they get to collect a tax on each one, new or used. I think that was the real problem (reason).

Scooters used to be against the law in Balto City. Once the state put a tag on it there was nothing city could do about it.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    insurance should be required, as should tags and license

many of the people on scooters/mopeds do not pay attention to traffic laws
    they are almost as bad as bicyclists

And you think insurance and tags will make a difference? Believe me, it doesn't.

I see scooters running down the bike lane/shoulder all the time in OC and DE.

I think that both states need to clearly define which laws apply to scooters and educate the driver. Even a one pager of do's and don'ts would help.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    And you think insurance and tags will make a difference? Believe me, it doesn't.

I see scooters running down the bike lane/shoulder all the time in OC and DE.

I think that both states need to clearly define which laws apply to scooters and educate the driver. Even a one pager of do's and don'ts would help.

they should follow the same requirements as a motorcycle

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    they should follow the same requirements as a motorcycle

Yes. I agree.

When one of my friend's car was TOTALLED by a motor-scooter rider, they were really angry about how this person didn't have a drivers' license, the scooter wasn't titled so a VIN check came up with nothing, and there wasn't any liability insurance. The kid riding it took off running afterwards (later was admitted to a hospital for a broken ankle, but police declined to write a report) and was never charged.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    Saw a real pair of idiots the other week in NC on the way home from Myrtle. They were riding a scooter at about 30 mph on US74 like they didn't have a care in the world. This is a 4 lane divided highway with speed limits between 60-70 with an average speed of 75-80 and eventually becomes I74.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I heard this yesterday on the radio and thought it was interesting. Delaware is actually loosening restrictions on Mopeds to encourage their use.

"The law only requires helmets if you're under 16-years-old, no insurance is required for a moped and if you're a visitor from a state where mopeds are not required to register that will also be honored in Delaware."

Would be curious if anyone else notice this subtle news bite.

http://wgmd.com/governor-markell-signs-moped-bill-into-law-in-rehoboth-beach/

http://wgmd.com/gov-markell-to-sign-moped-bill-into-law-in-rehoboth-beach/

http://www.delaware1059.com/story.php?id=11023

Delaware makes it easier!

Sure, because head injuries will create more people that vote Democrat. What could go wrong? :sad20:

And yes, I ride a real motorcycle. All the gear, all the time. Sane moped riders will do the same. Cagers will kill you if you give them a chance, and are not geared up.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Delaware or Maryland can do whatever they want, just please make the sccoter/moped drivers I see pay a little bit of attention.

Over here, they go 30 mph in a 55, in the lane and not on the shoulder. Or worse yet, they like to transition from shoulder to lane without looking or caring about cars in the lane. Stop signs and red light observance is optional. Pretty nerve racking trying to keep me and them alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom