• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    If I as a Md resident buy a C&R handgun from a maryland seller do I still need to go through the whole 7 day wait and paperwork?

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    If I as a Md resident buy a C&R handgun from a maryland seller do I still need to go through the whole 7 day wait and paperwork?

Yes. 30 day rule also applies unless you are a MD State "designated collector."

Also the handgun must be on the hangun roster if it is 1985 or after (I think the date is right).

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

What Coinboy said, however there may be one exception to this. If you are outside the state and the sale was legal in that state, then you can purchase the C&R firearm without dealing with the state of MD if my guess is correct. The ATF FAQ on their webpage does not say whether or not the purchase can be made from another MD resident while in that state.

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

§ 178.50 Locations covered by license. The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted except:

(a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;

(b) A licensed collector may acquire curios and relics at any location, and dispose of curios or relics to any licensee or to other persons who are residents of the State where the collector's license is held and the disposition is made.
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

BUt before you try this, ask the Baltimore ATF field office if it is legal to purchase a C&R handgun from another Maryland resident if both of you are in a state other than MD. This is something I would be wary of trying without a letter from the ATF.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Funny I could take home a C&R from Dulles show or i can buy on the net and it will show up in tomorrows mail but a C&R bought at the gunshow up the road takes over a week to get to me.

And yes the md collectors paper is a sweet thing.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Funny I could take home a C&R from Dulles show or i can buy on the net and it will show up in tomorrows mail but a C&R bought at the gunshow up the road takes over a week to get to me.

And yes the md collectors paper is a sweet thing.

It just goes to show you how stupid the gun restrictions on us are. Doesn't it?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have a C&R FFL, Can I buy a C&R Pistol (CZ_83?) and a new in the box (RUGER?) within 30 days? I guess my question is does the C&R purchase count as 1 restricted gun for this month?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have a C&R FFL, Can I buy a C&R Pistol (CZ_83?) and a new in the box (RUGER?) within 30 days? I guess my question is does the C&R purchase count as 1 restricted gun for this month?
    CZ83 is not C&R. The CZ82 is.

From what I understand, if you bought the CZ82 with your C&R from an out of state source and "imported" it into MD, then it does not count towards the one in thrity days law. If you bought it in MD it would even if you used your C&R FFL.

I am not a lawyer.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    CZ83 is not C&R. The CZ82 is.

From what I understand, if you bought the CZ82 with your C&R from an out of state source and "imported" it into MD, then it does not count towards the one in thrity days law. If you bought it in MD it would even if you used your C&R FFL.

I am not a lawyer.

Makes sense that scenario is correct. But if kalister1 obtains his MD Designated Collector approval, then the one in 30 day issue becomes moot.

(And I'm not a lawyer either.)

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    OK, Thanks for the response. Sorry about the CZ82/83, I have one from AIM but am not sure of the number off the top of my head.(Until NOW):)

The way I understand it, I CANNOT use my 03 FFL inside of Maryland, only interstate.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The way I understand it, I CANNOT use my 03 FFL inside of Maryland, only interstate.

True for hand guns. However, your FFL03 is perfectly usable in-state, for long guns that are C&R's. In other words, to buy a C&R long gun from a Maryland dealer, and you just have to show him your FFL, and no NICS check would be required.

postmako

C&R Member
    Jan 10, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    The ATF FAQ on their webpage does not say whether or not the purchase can be made from another MD resident while in that state.

§ 178.50 Locations covered by license. The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted except:

(a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;

(b) A licensed collector may acquire curios and relics at any location, and dispose of curios or relics to any licensee or to other persons who are residents of the State where the collector's license is held and the disposition is made.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

BUt before you try this, ask the Baltimore ATF field office if it is legal to purchase a C&R handgun from another Maryland resident if both of you are in a state other than MD. This is something I would be wary of trying without a letter from the ATF.

As you can see above in § 178.50b that I highlighted, it does say that it has to be done in the same state. So the part that says resident of the state where the disposition is made. So no, you cannot do it that way. Plus, I doubt a jury would rule in your favor even though they should because all of these laws infringe on the 2nd amendment.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    OK, Thanks for the response. Sorry about the CZ82/83, I have one from AIM but am not sure of the number off the top of my head.(Until NOW):)

As half-pricked stated (:lol2:), for non-regulated long arms your C&R will make it a non-Brady law purchase. In other words no background check since it is a transaction between two FFLs.
    However he is partly wrong about C&R handguns in MD. Even though you have to do the seven day wait with background check and you have to deal with the one in 30 days regulated firearm restriction (unless a MD "designated collector"), you have to give the FFL your signed copy of your FFL as I understand it. (only for C&R handguns)

In other words, even though you have to go through all the MD ******** to buy a handgun in MD, if it is a C&R handgun you still have to record it in your bound book and give the FFL your FFL (a private handgun transaction through the MDSP barracks to a non-FFL you have to record their ID, but you are not required to give them a signed copy of your FFL as I understand it).

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As you can see above in § 178.50b that I highlighted, it does say that it has to be done in the same state. So the part that says resident of the state where the disposition is made. So no, you cannot do it that way. Plus, I doubt a jury would rule in your favor even though they should because all of these laws infringe on the 2nd amendment.
    Read it again. A licensee of any type can acquire a handgun at any location in any state....period.
    A C&R licensee can disposses C&R to another FFL in any state....period.

(c) A licensee may conduct business at a gun show pursuant to the provision of § 178.100; or

(d) A licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer may engage in the business of dealing in curio or relic firearms with another licensee at any location pursuant to the provision of § 178.100.
    Now (d) says "engage in the business" of, and that is entirely different than simple transfers between C&R FFLs because C&R FFLs cannot "engage in the business of dealing" as per the definition for that term. However,
    " but such term
    shall not include a person who
    makes occasional sales, exchanges,
    or purchases of firearms for the enhancement
    of a personal collection or
    for a hobby, or who sells all or part of
    his personal collection of firearms;"
    So in other words, if they are at a gun show in another state, only people "engaged in the business of" dealing, importing or manufacturing firearms can sell to another FFL for profit they make a living off of, but C&R FFLs do not "engage in the business of".

(5) for any person (other than a licensed
    importer, licensed manufacturer,
    licensed dealer, or licensed
    collector
    ) to transfer, sell, trade, give,
    transport, or deliver any firearm to any
    person (other than a licensed importer,
    licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer,
    or licensed collector) who the transferor
    knows or has reasonable cause to believe
    does not reside in (or if the person
    is a corporation or other business entity,
    does not maintain a place of business
    in) the State in which the
    transferor resides; except that this
    paragraph shall not apply to (A) the
    transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
    firearm made to carry out a bequest of
    a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate
    succession of a firearm by, a person
    who is permitted to acquire or
    possess a firearm under the laws of the
    State of his residence, and (B) the loan
    or rental of a firearm to any person for
    temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/18usc_chap44.pdf

(9) for any person, other than a licensed
    importer, licensed manufacturer,
    licensed dealer, or licensed
    collector
    , who does not reside in any
    State to receive any firearms unless
    such receipt is for lawful sporting purposes.....

(3) any firearm to any person who the
    licensee knows or has reasonable
    cause to believe does not reside in (or if
    the person is a corporation or other
    business entity, does not maintain a
    place of business in) the State in which
    the licensee's place of business is located,
    except that this paragraph (A)
    shall not apply to the sale or delivery of
    any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a
    State other than a State in which the licensee's
    place of business is located if