• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    md makes it tough, pretty sure the Hk91, M14, and FAL are all banned.

Could get a "pistol" based on the Hk91 or FAL and brace it (depending on atf this week). Same for the Ak, could get a pistol version of that if it works for you.

AR10 may be the easiest, direct path.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I like the compactness of the Tavor 7 and SCAR 17. Unfortunately, one has to be neutered with 3" extension and the other is mucho dinero.

What's the opinion on the Law Tactical folding adapter for AR's?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you're talking about a classic old school 7.62 NATO main battle rifle, as it's come to be known:

For functionality, FAL all the way. Simple design, reliable and tough as nails. Downside is that the heyday of the FAL has passed as far as affordable availability. But damn, a good one is amazing.

For style - M14/M1A. No further justification needed.

I cannot disagree in any way, shape or form with this advice. But realistically in Marylandstan you won't be able to legally buy one of these...the best choice is an AR-10...affordable...reliable...the ergonomics are the same as the AR-15/M4 which are excellent...common caliber...easy to shoot well.

AR-10 for the win.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you're talking about a classic old school 7.62 NATO main battle rifle, as it's come to be known:

For functionality, FAL all the way. Simple design, reliable and tough as nails. Downside is that the heyday of the FAL has passed as far as affordable availability. But damn, a good one is amazing.

Yeap.

But now banned in MD. :(

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    None of the old ones are MD legal, unless you do something like buy a M1A in 6.5C, or the Chinese copy, or get that Garand conversion. IMHO, this isn't much of a loss, none of them are very good by modern standards, and I've owned all of them at varying points. G3/HK91 is the best of them in terms not being a boat anchor and having decent optics options.

Options that are available are the AR-308, Tavor 7, Galil ACE, various AKs in 7.62x51 (probably mostly used), etc. I suspect the highest performer would be an AR-308 based on my experience, probably followed by the Galil ACE.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    That would not be a bad way to roll, other than trying to find one. Not sure if CMP has any right now.

Shuffs --- Mini G. (Garand base Rifle) 308, shortened and converted to hold 308 magazines...

Attachments

• 013mg62ramlineport1500.jpg
      013mg62ramlineport1500.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 583

Smacduff99

Feb 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    Battle Rifle

Given the limitations in MD, I'd vote M&P 10. Not the sexiest choice, but makes sense in a number of ways. Price is on the low side, light weight for a 7.62/.308 battle rifle, readily available and cheap magazines, reliable and they have a good reputation for accuracy.

I own FAL's of various types, an M1A, a couple of versions of PTR 91's, Rock River LAR 8, all great rifles. That being said, the one I keep close by to grab at a moments notice, oddly enough is the S&W. The weight and accuracy in particular make it a winner.. (although I really love my FAL Para too!)

I'm a WV resident, so thankfully plenty of options here in America!

Sirex