• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    While many of you have met me or certainly have read some of my posts on various 2A or seeking tech info or law info topics, I also most times try to post helpful messages up to the limits of my understanding or knowledge. 1st I want to thank anyone who has posted helpful answers about the barrels and AR pertinent info here and any of the multitude of previous threads. 2nd I want to mention references to Sandy's case. While I didn't establish a relationship as a gun buyer at his shop, I did frequent there as an adult and surely purchased accessories for hunting in there. I seem to remember the business ever since I was a young boy when my interest in shooting was piqued while in Elementary school in the 70's.

I really had no idea what happened to cause the closing of Valley Gun in Parkville, but over the years I've been saddened to experience its absence there in the years since. The same goes for White Marsh Arms not being in Reisterstown, Hampstead Gun Shop, The Gun Celler in Union Bridge, and any of the others where ANTI 2A, regulations, paperwork, BS hassles and endless red tape etc have caused a gun business to be such a daunting venture just to survive.

Thanks be to those still making a go of it such as Worth a Shot, Duffy's, 2A Sales and Supplies etc.
    Also it may be redundant, but I really do want to make sure to re-thank all of you who have passed on your knowledge about the details of our BS laws on Bushmaster, AR type matters such as barrels, lowers, folding stocks pre or post 2013 crap etc.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You missed one of my favorites, Walter's Gun Chamber.

And for the real old timers, Donahue's. :D

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I bought my S&W 686 from Walter's also bought several guns from Valley. I liked to go to Valley just to look. They had a wide variety of really nice guns there!

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Pinecone, I did say etc......... oh I don't know how I missed Walter's but I suspect I did not travel that far in my younger days before it closed.

I also saw a thread about Walter's and Nicols on Joppa near Perring/Old Harford was mentioned. I liked that shop as I accompanied a friend there to get his 2nd gun, a GP100 back around 1987- 88. His first gun was a Mini14 from Duffy's, Mine a BDL Speedmaster from Best Company over at Eudowood.

Speaking of Old timers, Anyone who can clarify or recall what gun shop was on York Rd near the old Gino's around the corner from the old Towson Fire Station? And also there was one in the shopping center at Dulaney Valley behind what was the A and P/later Superfresh, ? ( I did a google,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty sure this store was Valley in my memory. Being a kid back then, I am going by a cloudy memory. MY non cloudy memory was Dad shopping near there and asking me if I would be interested in learning how to shoot. Pretty sure Donohue's is why I got the bug, and why guns and me are akin to breathing air and me.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Pinecone, I did say etc......... oh I don't know how I missed Walter's but I suspect I did not travel that far in my younger days before it closed.

I also saw a thread about Walter's and Nicols on Joppa near Perrring/Old Harford was mentioned. I liked that shop as I accompanied a friend there to get his 2nd gun, a GP100 back around 1987- 88. His first gun was a Mini14 from Duffy's, Mine a BDL Speedmaster from Best Company over at Eudowood.

Speaking of Old timers, Anyone who can clarify or recall what gun shop was on York Rd near the old Gino's? And also there was one in the shopping center at Dulaney Valley behind what was the A and P/later Superfresh, ? Being a kid back then, I am going by a cloudy memory of the names of them or if they were one in the same just relocated?

The one by the shopping center on Dulaney Vally Road was Valley's original location, if I remember correctly

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    rseymore etc, I still am trying to pinpoint the gun shop I was thinking was near Gino's but possibly up farther closer to Watson's because there also was a little house like building next to Watson's Garden Center which I think for awhile was a barber shop, now I think it is a Kitchen Granite and Marble place. My cloudy memory is confusing myself, due to being the non driving little kid and possibly mixing up where I was when dad or mom was shopping different places. I almost remember this store being a Valley as well.

PS I did google Donohue's/ I kinda thought I might fit in the old timer's......... and I found this Regarding Mr Donohue.

After the war, he earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland in 1950 and worked as a salesman for several years before he established Donahue's Gun Specialties in the Dulaney Valley Shopping Center in Towson in 1969.

He closed the business in 1985 but continued working as a ballistics expert and firearms examiner.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ********My recollection is I was asked by my dad, " if I would be interested in learning how to shoot" as we were practically next door to this shop in and around 1974-75 putting me at age 10-11

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The one by the shopping center on Dulaney Vally Road was Valley's original location, if I remember correctly

Yeap, it looked like a house. White, IIRC.

Then the built the new nice shop, which eventually turned into somewhat of a dump. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I also saw a thread about Walter's and Nicols on Joppa near Perring/Old Harford was mentioned. I liked that shop as I accompanied a friend there to get his 2nd gun, a GP100 back around 1987- 88. His first gun was a Mini14 from Duffy's, Mine a BDL Speedmaster from Best Company over at Eudowood.

Speaking of Old timers, Anyone who can clarify or recall what gun shop was on York Rd near the old Gino's around the corner from the old Towson Fire Station? And also there was one in the shopping center at Dulaney Valley behind what was the A and P/later Superfresh, ? ( I did a google,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty sure this store was Valley in my memory. Being a kid back then, I am going by a cloudy memory. MY non cloudy memory was Dad shopping near there and asking me if I would be interested in learning how to shoot. Pretty sure Donohue's is why I got the bug, and why guns and me are akin to breathing air and me.

I also bought from Nicoll's. First place that pointed out, if I had a Not Disapproved Form 77, I could buy a second handgun and and take it home that same day as the one I did the 77 on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    rseymore etc, I still am trying to pinpoint the gun shop I was thinking was near Gino's but possibly up farther closer to Watson's because there also was a little house like building next to Watson's Garden Center which I think for awhile was a barber shop, now I think it is a Kitchen Granite and Marble place. My cloudy memory is confusing myself, due to being the non driving little kid and possibly mixing up where I was when dad or mom was shopping different places. I almost remember this store being a Valley as well.

PS I did google Donohue's/ I kinda thought I might fit in the old timer's......... and I found this Regarding Mr Donohue.

After the war, he earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland in 1950 and worked as a salesman for several years before he established Donahue's Gun Specialties in the Dulaney Valley Shopping Center in Towson in 1969.

He closed the business in 1985 but continued working as a ballistics expert and firearms examiner.

That is the original Valley Guns.

Donahue's claim was that Kennedy was shot with an AD from a Secret Service agent's M-16.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That is the original Valley Guns.

Donahue's claim was that Kennedy was shot with an AD from a Secret Service agent's M-16.

Thanks Pinecone, I was thinking my memory had it that way about Valley. Somehow my first trips into a bar/pool hall type place as a 10 yr old, and the first time I went into that little house and saw all those guns, these experiences were seared into my memory visually and for what I did there. I still remember that stranger man taking me in hand and showing me how one shoots pool.

I am not one to quibble on too many details, but I thought I read the article to say Donohue claimed the Secret Service agent's gun was an AR15.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Pinecone, I sure am glad to hear you say of your experience at Nicoles and the NON disapproved.

I was blessed to meet and purchase guns from Hampstead gun, and through them, I managed to secure my Gun Collector Status in the early 2000's. Thanks to that, I have a few sweet Rugers and a Springfield Armory V10, I might not have had otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom