• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Big fella. Thanks. I read that. For me that does not compute. Flash hider, muzzle break, etc doesn’t appreciably change balance. Unless you are Jerry FN Mikulek

So I figured he dint really know or was unable/unwilling to tell us and thus send us off on (Yet) another CF.
    I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming this was a case of not even knowing enough to know what question he should really be asking. "Rifle feels front-heavy, how do I fix?" is what I assumed the real question was.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming this was a case of not even knowing enough to know what question he should really be asking. "Rifle feels front-heavy, how do I fix?" is what I assumed the real question was.
    Aye. No worries.

This OP has demonstrated a prior tendency to Unnecessarily foray far and wide in the weeds.

Just ask the clown. Ummmm, I
    Mean Einstein.

That’s why crimes are a two part test. Act. Intent.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Maybe the OP means some sort of barrel weights when he says washers?

Heavy stocks can counter the front-heaviness of HBARs, but the better solution is aggressive fluting to get that barrel to weigh less. In fact, it appears the Dvor will be selling the Faxon barrels in a few days:
    https://www.dvor.com/faxon-firearms-223-wylde-heavy-fluted-rifle-barrel.html

I think they were ~$250 last time? Not cheap, but fluting does cost significant machine time.

Thank You sir,

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Maybe this is OP's problem...

Why must you ruin every God damn thread I start?
    I asked a question . A serious question . I am sorry that I even bothered.

Thank you for all that answered my question and Educated me.

it was just a question i had, Not knowing much about the barrel and the difference that being top heavy would or could have on the performance if any?

You don't need to respond.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    It may have been a serious question but it was imo poorly asked.

What you wanted to know was not at all clear and led folks to guess what you wanted.

The more simple and clear your question/problem to be solved, the easier it is for folks who try to help...to help.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

it was just a question i had, Not knowing much about the barrel and the difference that being top heavy would or could have on the performance if any?

I will anyways. You ruin them on your own pretty well.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Hey man, calm yourself a bit there...

You didn't exactly come onto this forum with much grace, so safe to say some of us are reluctant to answer you or engage with you meaningfully.

Take the high road for a bit and you'll find that you will be just fine here. But if you go back to hurling offenses, then I assure you this won't continue to go well for you.

Also, your question was definitely confusing.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It may have been a serious question but it was imo poorly asked.

What you wanted to know was not at all clear and led folks to guess what you wanted.

The more simple and clear your question/problem to be solved, the easier it is for folks who try to help...to help.

I'm playing devils advocate here but so many questions on this forum are poorly asked. More the norm than the exception I think. Your point is noted in the final sentence and is the best advice I have seen in this thread so far. As a matter of fact, that should pop up every time someone hits submit and ask if you REALLY want to hit SUBMIT :)

There is very often poor English and grammar skills on this forum too.

OP, Plan on developing thick skin and skipping the wise cracks. That is just going to happen around here. It will eventually get you to look at your posts before hitting submit more over time. (I know it does for me).

Research any fluted barrel well, I've had some cheap crap fluted HBAR barrels that did not perform well. Just cause a vendor calls it HBAR/FLUTED/Match barrel, does not mean it will shoot well. I learned this the hard way buying come Crap in my past. I just happen to have the best luck with solid HBARs. Read reviews.

Yup, look at barrel weights published and you can see up to 1lb difference between fluted and non fluted HBAR.

I'm not a big guy so I have noticed difference between shooting 16" HBAR offhand vs an M4 Profile 14.5" with pin/welded Brake or a 10.5" SBR which I can shoot for longer w/o fatigue. Throw an 8" steel suppressor on the end of that 16" (which I have done) and that will fatigue me even more. But heck, you can only shoot for so long before that suppressor gets hot anyway.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• yarn.jpg
      yarn.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 579

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Maybe ditch the muzzle device altogether and put a thread protector on it (they can be had in aluminum), or find an unthreaded barrel, like the Clinton Specials. I've heard that, for the absolute best accuracy, the best muzzle device is no muzzle device.

OP- If you started asking well worded, legitimate questions, we would be much quicker to forget that time (when you were brand spankin new) you tore into the clown and told him to "Goggle it Einstein". Unfortunately, you have a really bad habit of continuing to make rude and belittling comments towards fellow MDS'ers.
    We all have a few people we don't get along with on this forum. The smart ones just stop agitating each other. Hell, one of the most knowledgeable AR15 guys within hundreds of miles has posted in this exact thread. Your snarky comments won't encourage him to offer you assistance. FWIW- I speak from experience, as he is the only MDS'er I have ever straight up burned bridges with.
    Try taking some time off and come back with a better attitude. We can be a really friendly and helpful group of guys and gals.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom