I have Colts and S&W’s
    My wife loves her Smith model 60 J frame
    38 +P rated / 357

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    S&W Model 10 heavy barrel is a sweet revolver, great trigger, has some heft to lessen recoil, and can often be had for around $300.

If she has smaller hands, S&W made 3" barrel J-frames in 38spl. Not as easy to find, but they're available. The extra inch is nice for a few reasons.

I like wadcutters for defense; they do more damage than a roundnose bullet - so I'm told - and the recoil is light. They make pretty holes in paper, too.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If i do a walk about with a sw mod 36 ( steel, not alloy) its loaded with federal +p with the bullets loaded by fed backwards...flat end forward. Prob a very decent load for a any of the mid sized frames. There are 90 gr lite loads, but i read tests showing they lack penetration.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have Colts and S&W’s
    My wife loves her Smith model 60 J frame
    38 +P rated / 357

THIS is the point.

Take her shopping, let HER pick what she wants/likes.

If YOU pick it, it will be YOUR choice. And may not be what she wants.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Smith & Wesson 547 - this revolver shoots 9MM without the need for moon clips. Its pricey but if you already own 9MM handgun or carbine the benefit of low cost standardized ammunition may end up saving you money. Built like a tank.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My experience with taking first time shooters to the range is that most of them favored a 2.5" barrel Sp-101 to the heavier 4" barrel GP-100. The SP-101 has smaller grips and my female friends expressed a consistent preference for that. With all due respect to our members who suggested the Blackhawk, I would disagree. I feel that learning the intricacies of a Single-Action Only revolver and using it well under stress are not in most people's favor. Multiple steps that lead you to a light trigger pull seems less useful than a single motion and heavier trigger in my opinion. That said, to a person they all enjoyed shooting my Single-Six, even if they didn't necessarily do it well.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I’d go with h the S&W 686+. It offers a capacity of 7. Its big enough to somewhat tame full .357 loads and makes .38spl loads feel like .22lr loads. Go with a .357 gun so you can shoot both loads. Unless you are looking to conceal carry, I see no reason to buy a .38spl-only gun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/revolver-series/m200-38-special

These get great write-ups and can be had for low 200s.

I dont know about this one, but one thing to watch out for in cheapo revolvers is light primer strikes because of an insufficient hammer spring. Ask me how I know. I would personally want to see more than "write ups." You could end up with a paperweight, or something that only likes a particular brand of ammo.

A decent revolver like a 686 or GP101 will hold its value. I would suggest going with a revolver line that has a track record.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I've got an SP-101 on consignment at Gym Ratz. Not sure where you are, but, it's a solid gun with a low round count.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am not a fan of the smaller Ruger revolver. The GP100 has enough weight to mitigate recoil for 38s and has one more round versus the 101. I've owned multiple Model 10s (past tense), I don't see a point to a full sized 38. As for Colts, the Trooper MK III and it's offspring don't use the same internals as the older revolvers, so no need for tuning like them.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The 357 Mag is a very powerful round...

A work of caution...

Take your wife to an indoor range where they rent 357's & let her shoot 12 rounds before you buy it...

It was designed for the FBI to shoot holes in running car engines, so...

IT HAS A LOT OF RECOIL...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

It was designed for the FBI to shoot holes in running car engines, so..

"The .357 S&W Magnum (9×33mmR), or simply .357 Magnum, is a revolver cartridge with a .357-inch (9.07 mm) bullet diameter. It was created by Elmer Keith, Phillip B. Sharpe,[3] and Douglas B. Wesson[3][4] of firearms manufacturers Smith & Wesson and Winchester.[5][6]

It is based upon Smith & Wesson's earlier .38 Special cartridge. The .357 Magnum cartridge was introduced in 1934, and its use has since become widespread. This cartridge started the "Magnum era" of handgun ammunition."

The FBI didn't go to the 357 until early to mid 70's.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    "The .357 S&W Magnum (9×33mmR), or simply .357 Magnum, is a revolver cartridge with a .357-inch (9.07 mm) bullet diameter. It was created by Elmer Keith, Phillip B. Sharpe,[3] and Douglas B. Wesson[3][4] of firearms manufacturers Smith & Wesson and Winchester.[5][6]

It is based upon Smith & Wesson's earlier .38 Special cartridge. The .357 Magnum cartridge was introduced in 1934, and its use has since become widespread. This cartridge started the "Magnum era" of handgun ammunition."

The FBI didn't go to the 357 until early to mid 70's.

Well, you are half right. It was designed for the FBI to go back in time and shoot through cars. 357 is pretty powerful!!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The 357 Mag is a very powerful round...

A work of caution...

Take your wife to an indoor range where they rent 357's & let her shoot 12 rounds before you buy it...

“It was designed for the FBI to shoot holes in running car engines, so...”

IT HAS A LOT OF RECOIL...

I do not think the caliber you mentioned is the caliber you mean

Some of the FBI in the Roaring 20s went with 1911s in 38 Super to punch through automobile glass, doors, radiators and maybe some engine blocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom