ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    From an email:

Resort Officials Sign Off on Ambitious Drone Program

Shawn J. Soper
    Managing Editor

OCEAN CITY- The future has arrived in Ocean City with a plan approved this week to utilize Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), or drones for all manner of public safety and other applications.

For the last several months, Emergency Services Director Joe Theobald has been working with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and other regulatory agencies to allow Ocean City to begin implementing a UAS, or drone, program in a variety of capacities over the skies of the resort. The use of drones for public safety and other governmental interests is certainly not new, but Theobald and his staff has been working closely with the FAA and other regulatory agencies to tailor a suitable program that meets the resort’s specific needs.

On Tuesday, Theobald presented the Mayor and Council with an outline of the UAS program. Already the town has secured three of the aircraft through grant funding and has worked through the approval process with restrictions appropriate to the resort area.

“This is something that has been under consideration for about 20 months,” he said. “This is a tool that’s good for the town from a public safety standpoint and a myriad of other uses. It’s been a tedious approval process, but we wanted to establish a program that meets all of our needs and complies with all federal guidelines.” The sky’s the limit, so to speak, for the town’s budding drone program in a variety of uses. For example, from a law enforcement standpoint, the drones can be used for aerial surveillance during incidents and accidents and they can be used to provide aerial images of special events and other areas where large crowds gather.

From the fire department standpoint, the UAS can provide firefighters and first-responders with real-time aerial images of active fires and other emergency situations, allowing the department to best direct operations from the ground. The Beach Patrol and other first-responders will be able to use the drones for water search and rescue missions, and the UAS can also be used to survey post-storm beach erosion, flooding and other uses.

What the drones won’t be used for, according to Theobald, is to survey everyday crowds on the beach or Boardwalk or any purposes that would hint at spying on residents and visitors. The tedious approval process went to great lengths to ensure the drones are used for their intended purposes.

“The public needs to have an expectation of what we’re trying to accomplish,” he said. “The tenets of the program are privacy and civil liberties. The public has to buy into this. We don’t want the perception that Big Brother is flying around watching everything. That is not the intent of the program.”

Theobald said the relative remote nature of the resort away from major airports and heavy aircraft traffic areas somewhat eased some of the restrictions placed on drone usage in other areas.

“We don’t have a lot of the restrictions that other areas in Maryland would have,” he said. “We don’t have to worry about BWI, and we don’t have to worry about Salisbury. Our geographic location is really perfect for this program.”

For that reason, some restrictions imposed on drone usage in other areas won’t apply in the resort area. “Again, it’s been a tedious process, but we’ve been granted the authority to do certain things because of our approvals,” he said. “The groundwork is done on some of these things. For example, we will be able to fly over people and we’ll be able to fly at night.”

Already, Ocean City has secured three of the approved UAS. The next step is training operators to fly them. The potential pool of candidates will likely come from police, fire and other emergency personnel, but the program could be open to other town employees.

“We were able to purchase three aircraft through grants and they are equipped with cameras and spotlights,” he said. “We didn’t want to spend a lot of money up front. We want to walk first and get the program up and running before we get running with it. We’re asking for your support so we can pursue this further. The goal now is to get 10 people certified to fly these drones. We have to start somewhere.”

Satisfied the program as presented did not represent a significant financial burden and that the requirements have been met and the privacy and civil liberties issues have been resolved, the council voted unanimously to approve the program.

“I’ve read a lot of articles in trade magazines about these programs and I can see a lot of uses for law enforcement, for engineering,” said Councilman Mark Paddack. “On the fire department side, I can see a lot of applications for them as well. Perhaps the most important thing I see is the Beach Patrol using these for search and rescue missions. From the ground level, it’s difficult to see a victim in the water.”

We're not going to spy on you with these drones, until we do.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    We were out in OC last summer and I had my Mavic Pro and we were talking about how if they had one or several at with the life saving OC beach patrol, they could dispatch them really quickly to look at anything in the water. There is already alot of aircraft and boat activity, but who knows, especially later in the day when the banner planes don't fly.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We were out in OC last summer and I had my Mavic Pro and we were talking about how if they had one or several at with the life saving OC beach patrol, they could dispatch them really quickly to look at anything in the water. There is already alot of aircraft and boat activity, but who knows, especially later in the day when the banner planes don't fly.

Just remember: anyone using even cheap little consumer drones for things like beachside SAR ... has to pass the FAA Part 107 exam, and get (and stay) federally certified. Anyone on the beach patrol who would be able to use one would need FAA blessings.

And then there's that little problem with it being illegal to operate (without an elaborate and arranged-for-in-advance waiver) within 5 miles of the OC Municipal Airport ... which rules out using drones near a lot of very active beach areas. Further, they mention that the drones have spot lights. Which is nice ... except for needing to file well in advance for a waiver to perform any night operations (which are otherwise illegal).

This is a lot more complex than it sounds. There will end up being a very small group of people working for the city that will be allowed to operate, and it will be only under very specific circumstances. That's why they're talking about applications like "engineering," rather than looking for Riptide Johnny as he heads for North Carolina.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    when I say OC, I mean the area, I don't take it to the beach and I"m rarely at the beach. We have used it overhead at our water front property as well as offshore over the boat

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    they can be used to provide aerial images of special events and other areas where large crowds gather.

What the drones won’t be used for, according to Theobald, is to survey everyday crowds on the beach or Boardwalk or any purposes that would hint at spying on residents and visitors

Seems they are contradicting themselves in the announcement itself

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    i'd be interested to see a poll of those who travel there and live there to see if they would want to:
    1. have the drones take up tax dollars
    2. have .gov drones flying the skies doing surveillance on the people

me personally, I'd vote no. I don't want that.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    i'd be interested to see a poll of those who travel there and live there to see if they would want to:
    1. have the drones take up tax dollars
    2. have .gov drones flying the skies doing surveillance on the people

me personally, I'd vote no. I don't want that.

I"m ok with it. I don't think it would be a huge $ burden. Not compared to the rest of the budget. Until they try it for a few years, won't know if its worth it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is it lawful to fly kites in OC?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kite Loft often has many of them up during the summer when the winds are coming from the shore

I won't be surprised if they don't end up using them on Assateague Island sometime in the near future to run up and down the shore using pre programmed runs so that the operator does not reallly need to do anything other than watch the camera and evade if something pops up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom