• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I was about 25, got a map of a place in NJ, and there was a stream on the map.
    I drove, parked 1/4 mile away, and cut through the yard of a house and Down down down down I went, steep, and I found an idyllic stream.
    I cast a small roostertail over the pool, and a beautiful trout came out of the water and grabbed it! My 1st EVER!! Holy cow, solitude and a trout.
    2nd cast never hit the water either and I was 'hooked' on small stream trout fishing. It was the most amazing thing. I reckon I had been reading alot and studying maps (1984 ish) - to find this place. That's how I would scout.

I fished that stream many times later and caught beautiful trout, always put them back.
    It's about than an hour from NYC but you would feel you are in the wilderness.

That was one magical day!

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I also fished trout in small streams in a the south stream of the raritan in Nashanic Station in Jersey amongst cows watching from the pasture with an ultra lite 4.5 ft rod.
    Difference is I cooked and ate those delicious rainbows and Browns.
    Also fished outside of the pequest trout hatcheries
    Close to Johnny’s Hotdog stand... yum...
    I still drive by these places while visiting family.
    That lead me to the most serious of trout fishing in the salmon river in Pulaski NY. Steelheads!!!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I also fished trout in small streams in a the south stream of the raritan in Nashanic Station in Jersey
    That's where I grew up, South Branch of the Raritan River, Neshanic Station, NJ, 08853, on the Branchburg side, not Hillsborough side.

Went to Old York Elementary and Branchburg Central 'till 8th grade. Immaculata HS graduating in '79.

That area is NOTHING like it was when I grew up. My Dad's old place of 7 acres is now 7 houses.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Tod - you ever hit Ken Lockwood Gorge near Annandale, NJ? I hit that alot fly fishing only. Beautiful place, it is actually the headwaters of the South Branch of the Raritan.
    MUCH bigger river than that 1st stream I hit - which was what, 4-6 yards across? Tiny. I have pics I should scan.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I was just out this past Friday on the lower Glady Fork and caught five, 4 rainbows and a brown. Wife cooked them up that evening using an Italian 7-fish recipe. They were heavenly!

I can be at a trout stream or river within 5 minutes from my house. My 8 year old and I both love trout fishing!

Attachments

• 20190215_180847.jpg
      20190215_180847.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 207

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Very envious. Unfortunately I haven’t been Trout fishing since moving to Md. Time seems in short supply for things like that.
    Marco, I know where your talking about but never fished there. I never got into fly fishing, always used spinning reels.
    I am from South Brunswick across the Millstone river and Griggstown canal, spent many a night there fishing for channel cats.
    Your right so much has changed there and it’s hard to recognize where things used to be. I still have family in South Brunswick, Whitehouse and Sparta and we go up often. Still time is precious and in short supply.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I was just out this past Friday on the lower Glady Fork and caught five, 4 rainbows and a brown. Wife cooked them up that evening using an Italian 7-fish recipe. They were heavenly!

I can be at a trout stream or river within 5 minutes from my house. My 8 year old and I both love trout fishing!

West Va has excellent trout fishing. I used to catch natives, rainbow and brown trout (and the occasional golden) all over Pocahontas and Randolph counties.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Steelies

I also fished trout in small streams in a the south stream of the raritan in Nashanic Station in Jersey amongst cows watching from the pasture with an ultra lite 4.5 ft rod.
    Difference is I cooked and ate those delicious rainbows and Browns.
    Also fished outside of the pequest trout hatcheries
    Close to Johnny’s Hotdog stand... yum...
    I still drive by these places while visiting family.
    That lead me to the most serious of trout fishing in the salmon river in Pulaski NY. Steelheads!!!

Friends and I go there and stay at Brennan Beach during October Columbus Day week. For salmon every year. Caught some steelhead and have gone later winter to get them as well. Awesome tasting steelies

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Nice work. Those are native trout?
    Can you share that recipe? I like trout but sometimes it seems a little blah.
    We only caught one this weekend.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Trout fishing in VT

The family place in upper NE VT near the Canadian border has awesome streams and the Connecticut River. Get browns there. Even the lakes up there have rainbows and brookies. Damn good eating. Lake trout as well.

East Charleston VT east of Newport on Lake Echo. Here are a couple pics after i leave Pulaski to help cut firewood for my Uncle for the Winter

Attachments

• 7DACAD87-4576-4037-8893-C7698D6473E2.jpg
      7DACAD87-4576-4037-8893-C7698D6473E2.jpg
      93.6 KB · Views: 94
    • 46C9DAF3-E98A-49FB-BC6A-B0698C398E00.jpg
      46C9DAF3-E98A-49FB-BC6A-B0698C398E00.jpg
      166.5 KB · Views: 95
    • 8DB439D4-F367-412B-B252-2C4359FA1947.jpg
      8DB439D4-F367-412B-B252-2C4359FA1947.jpg
      94.7 KB · Views: 95

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

I fillet them,roll in corn muffin mix( sweeter than regular ground corn) sprinkle Old Bay on and fry.I have seen guys totally gorge themselves silly cooking trout this way

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

They are stocked trout. WV DNR starts stocking the streams and rivers in January. I just catch them and clean them, the wife cooks them up. She called it an Italian feast of the 7-fish recipe. When she gets home from work I will see if I can get the recipe from her and post it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom