• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Rumor has it HK's customer service is absolute crap. Apparently they're more interested in military and LE sales.

I had heard this for years which is why I let a P7 PSP with a broken sear/cocking lever sit forever. A couple of years ago I finally sentiti in for repair, they won't sell the parts. I dropped of at UPS, have to overnite a handgun, on a Tues afternoon. The next morning at 11AM I got an email saying it was fixed and on it's way back, no charge. Can't beat that for service.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    HK P7.

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. If you ever shot one, you couldn't help but understand.

Have a P7 PSP and P7 M8. Most accurate handguns I own but they wouldn't be my first choice. A little too delicate IMO and they heat up fast under the trigger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sig P227 would be near the top of my list. Basically a P220 upper with a double stack grip. 10+1 standard, 14 round extended mags available, but stick out.

HK USP Tactical would also be high on my list. 12+ 1 with standard cap mags. 20 round extended mags available.

And of course, 1911. I would use mainly 8 round mags, as they do not extend out of the grip. Possibly 10 rounders for reloads.

But one constant, if I have a choice, it will be .45 ACP.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you don't consider hand fit the 2 best are the 1-3rd Gen Glock's (good capacity, lightweight, drop in parts, and parts are plentiful), and 1911's (great triggers, good accuracy, abundant but not drop in parts, but are heavy, have low capacity generally, and often need tuning out of the box).

I can make a 1911 run like a sewing machine and I still won't own one anymore. Beyond the trigger they do nothing better than any other handgun IMO. I hate glocks generally but they are popular because they work and are not super expensive. They often need some grip work to fit people well.

I think the M&P is an improvement over. Glock ergos wise but parts are not as available.

Sigs and CZs, meh. Walther Fullsize and HKs are reliable and accurate but the parts are not easy to find nor are they cheap.

I think HK make the best handguns in the world, but the cost is high, mags are expensive, and the parts are not available.

All machines break and a trusted SHTF gun will need to be fixed eventually.

I say get her a G19 and send it out to cold bore customs for a grip reduction. Get some mags and some nice sights and she will love that gun.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    If you could have your choice of battle sidearm, what would it be?

I'm more interested in everyone's take on make and model here as opposed to caliber.

Pros and cons?

I haven't got to handle any of the Euro pistols much, such as the HK's, Sigs, and CZ's, just Glocks and the American mainstays so far. I know it's an outdated platform, but so far at least, nothing has been able to top the way a 1911 feels in my hand and points for me.

What say you all?

Some here may not agree, but the 1911 would be my first choice, due to the way it feels in my hand and overall shoot groups.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Completely impractical as spare parts and ammo may be hard to come by, but the Dominion Arms P762, a Sig 226 copy cat that chambers 17-rounds of 7.62x25 Tokarev. It's a pistol that thinks it's an SBR. :D

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sig P226 tacops with the 20 rounders.
    If I'm in a battle I want some ammo.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    I'm partial to my first handgun, the M&P. I like how the mag release is set up even though I'm a lefty. my fingers don't touch it unless I mean to. It's not hard to train to get used to the default layout.

I'd otherwise go with Glock for the simplicity and effectiveness except for the mag release position. For a lefty, the trigger finger goes right on top of the button.

a good battle sidearm should be good to go out of the box incase you have to pick up another of the same model or hand off to someone else if you can spare it. Being a lefty, it's a bigger issue in balancing my comfort over having my equipment usable by everyone else.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd likely say a Glock 21. As long as I can get .45acp I'm going with that. Failing that, I'll take a full sized Glock in whatever caliber I can get ammo for.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Sig P226 tacops with the 20 rounders.
    If I'm in a battle I want some ammo.

This. Would also take a FN-45 or SP-01. I have experience with all of these and like them. Can't say anything about Glocks other than I hate shooting them. HKs are nice, but I have only spent about 30mins with them.

Round count, full size, and DA/SA for me.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Glock 19 or 17. They have a proven record that they can take a beating and keep on running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom