How Do We Legally Store Our Rifles Out Of State If Banned In Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Not sure whether to put this in the water cooler or here, but since it deals more with legal issues I will post it here. My question is if legislation gets passed that outlaws AR-15's OR makes keeping them in-state unrealistic (high renewal/registration fees), then what is the best/cheapest legal way to move them out of state but retain possession of them?
    I could always sell them for $1 to an out of state friend and pay the FFL transfer fees. However if I want to keep them in my name, how do I go about moving them to another state?

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    You'll be grandfathered In. No worries. They can't charge you a tax on it either if purchased before the statute, nobody would pay and everyone would sue. They ain't that dumb

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I don't think this question is too far off base at this point to be honest. I think the far reaching fingers of both our federal and state governments could cause us to work the system to retain as much inventory as possible. So thinking/planning ahead is a good idea. I am not so sure that we will enjoy the benefit of "grandfathering" at this juncture as it seems like there is huge push to demonize gun owners and flush them out at ever turn (transfers, use, possession). Even if you are "grandfathered" the intent is to marginalize, ridicule, and criminalize the owner of your property.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    The simplest way is to establish residence in 2 states and simply transfer them to myself in another state. Does anyone have experience doing that? Would I even need an FFL to do that?

I understand that we have generally laughed at people getting too paranoid and coming up with crazy what ifs. However with what just passed in New York, I am putting absolutely nothing past O'Malley.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The simplest way is to establish residence in 2 states and simply transfer them to myself in another state. Does anyone have experience doing that? Would I even need an FFL to do that?

I understand that we have generally laughed at people getting too paranoid and coming up with crazy what ifs. However with what just passed in New York, I am putting absolutely nothing past O'Malley.

Why do you need to establish residency to store guns out of state? I don't think that is a requirement to be honest.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    If you really want to store them out of state I guess you could simply rent a storage unit in a free state put a safe in there and keep them there. Just make sure you pay well in advance so they don't turn up on one of those storage wars shows. As far as having a residence in another state why would you have to "transfer" them to yourself ( unless it an even more restrictive stae than here which defeats the purpose) it's your property you can take it wherever you want. As far as Md is concerned the only thing I would have to say to them is, I posess nothing in this state that is illegal to have in this state. What I did with whatever you think I had is none of your business.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    in an unmarked grave next to arch stanton....:innocent0

"un... un-ka... un-k-no"

Seriously, I'm exploring renting a bedroom from a friend in PA and sleeping there four nights a week to establish residence while I find a new house there. Hopefully I'm just being too cautious, but I want the option just in case Commissar O'Malley lets Comrade Bloomberg whisper too many sweet nothings in his ear after they... you know.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    "un... un-ka... un-k-no"

Seriously, I'm exploring renting a bedroom from a friend in PA and sleeping there four nights a week to establish residence while I find a new house there. Hopefully I'm just being too cautious, but I want the option just in case Commissar O'Malley lets Comrade Bloomberg whisper too many sweet nothings in his ear after they... you know.

I dont know what Koolaid they've been drinking but man that stuff warps minds...lol

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    In your hands/ in your safe. The state can pound sand. They're not getting mine, I can tell you that. Rather than expend energy trying to find where you can run away to, bring the fight to annapolis and keep them from being banned in the first place.
    http://marylandshallissue.org/joindonate-now/

Did ya see my signature? I'm in the fight. Just became NRA lifer too.

But even General Washington knew an orderly retreat is better than a disorganized rout if the fight is lost.
    You can return to fight another day.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Did ya see my signature? I'm in the fight. Just became NRA lifer too.

But even General Washington knew an orderly retreat is better than a disorganized rout if the fight is lost.
    You can return to fight another day.

yeah, ure cool. But you're not the OP my post was directed to.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    In your hands/ in your safe. The state can pound sand. They're not getting mine, I can tell you that. Rather than expend energy trying to find where you can run away to, bring the fight to annapolis and keep them from being banned in the first place.
    http://marylandshallissue.org/joindonate-now/

Everyone talks a big game until it happens. What are you going to do? Hunker down in your house and battle it out?

The second part of your comment makes sense. Let the politicians know that you will not tolerate legislation that will take your rights away. That is all you can do.

I don't believe it is necessary to start planning to that extreme. They will just start making our lives miserable with magazine capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom