• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Thank you for the updates! Hopefully it'll be finished earlier than scheduled.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You would think Myrtle Grove would come on here and post update. We all know they watch these treads

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Many years ago when I used to go there, the range guy, I forgot his name, I think it was Dan, told me they were having problems with a new community or communities in the area that wanted the range shut down. This was about 10 to 15 years ago so the info might not be accurate but maybe it’s being phased out

Thankfully our crew of moonbat liberal county commissioners has brought all development in the 'west county' to a halt. All done to help that severely threatened smallmouth bass alive (you know, that elusive fish that we have weekly tournaments for on the lower Mattawoman creek).

Not much development pressure around Myrtle Grove these days.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Another group of updated pictures, poor angle again, but I wasnt gonna cross the "authorized personnel only" and "no trespassing" signs they put up. Not to mention the 3 visible trail cameras and 1 "security" camera I could see. One of which is pointed pretty much right in your face if you were to try to go around the yellow tape and gate.

Looks like a roof coming together, and at least the first 2 baffles have been completely replaced.

These pics are as of late last week, didnt get time to get them off my phone until just now.

Click for larger versions as usual.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Yeah i would assume if its going to be concrete under there they would have done that first. If it stays the gravel thats currently there it will be a nightmare to police up the brass... And the benches wouldnt be fixed in place which is asking for trouble IMO.

The roof and the extra space behind the firing line is a welcome addition though.

marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah i would assume if its going to be concrete under there they would have done that first. If it stays the gravel thats currently there it will be a nightmare to police up the brass... And the benches wouldnt be fixed in place which is asking for trouble IMO.

The roof and the extra space behind the firing line is a welcome addition though.
    Does anyone actually police their brass though? It would be nice if everyone did, but I have never seen anyone do so. They really need a Range Safety Officer to occasionally come by for the knuckle heads that keep doing dumb stuff. I dont know why people dont say something to the dumbasses that keep doing dumb shit. Oh yeah they have a gun in their hands. Most people do respect a uniform even if they have little to no power, but to kick you off the most reasonable price range in the area. IMO!

Marc

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I police as much of my brass as I can every time I go, and most others I have seen there regularly do as well. Though many dont.
    Even pick up others brass they left behind near the table I am at, collect it all up and sell the brass to a recycler or give to friends who reload.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Some more updated pictures, poor angle again.

New tables on the concrete which has been recapped. (I think, I doubt it was broken out and repoured)
    The new tables look a good bit smaller than the old tables and now have a movable seat. More room behind the benches/firing line which is a good thing. Unless they build more seats, gonna have to bring some folding chairs for other people with you.

The fence and trellis look to be a kind of "in your face baffle" and are probably intended to keep your muzzle down and prevent firing on targets in adjacent lanes. NO signs of any kind of roof over the shooting area, all the downrange baffles look almost complete as well. The gravel in front of the firing line is going to make brass cleanup of anything that flies forward of the line a PITA.

These pics are as of July 11th 2019.

Bunch of security/trail cams up all over the place as well, they really dont want people getting a close look it seems.

Click for larger versions as usual.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The fence and trellis look to be a kind of "in your face baffle" and are probably intended to keep your muzzle down and prevent firing on targets in adjacent lanes. NO signs of any kind of roof over the shooting area, all the downrange baffles look almost complete as well. The gravel in front of the firing line is going to make brass cleanup of anything that flies forward of the line a PITA.

Thanks for the photos. I cannot wait to see the improvements.

I suspect the "in your face baffle" is designed to keep people shooting straight and in their own lane. I have seen a lot of people setting their target at short range and end up shooting slightly diagonal. The bullets can impact the posts down near 100 yards.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I believe its August 21st, might be August 20th. (edit: August 20th. http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/southern/myrtlegrove.aspx)
    Went by there again today while out working, does not look any different than it did when I last looked on July 11th, benches in the same places/etc. Hopefully working downrange on the baffles, but maybe took a few weeks off.

No signs of anything happening on the archery side or fencing that I can see, too many trees/too much underbrush to see the shotgun area from the parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom