• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    For a resident of MD that has a CCW and travels to surrounding states as far north as PA and down to Florida which would be the best licenses to get? I thought PA non resident and Florida non resident. Asking for a friend.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I would guess Pa. (after obtaining a Md.), Florida and Utah. Without looking, I believe they get you 43 states.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    New Hampshire. No training, no fingerprints, no photo, $100, and they take personal checks. 24 states.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    PA stopped recognizing NH NR, so kind limited in usefulness now

Yeah, that sucks. Happened soon after I got one. Oh well, at least it's only $100.

I think that the combination of VA and FL non-res will get your friend most of the country, except anything northeast of MD. Not sure about DE now... it changes pretty often. Can't get a SC permit without owning property there, but glove box carry is okay.

DC non-res is easy to get and will give you the ultimate in HTF moments. Like, HTF did I get a DC carry permit, the city that used to have the most restrictive permitting scheme in the country (until Heller) but I still can't get one in my own state?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Is it worth going after DC seems like the museums and anything worth seeing are off limits.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is it worth going after DC seems like the museums and anything worth seeing are off limits.

It’s a more expensive permit and requires more training (16 hours) and only is good for two years.

You must also register every firearm you intend to carry. First one is free

Unless you spend a lot of time in DC in places where you can carry, it’s an expensive exercise of your 2A rights

DC would not honor my previous military service because they only honor training taken in the previous 2 years.

I don’t spend enough time in DC to justify the added training expense.

YMMV of course

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    It’s a more expensive permit and requires more training (16 hours) and only is good for two years.

Unless you spend a lot of time in DC in places where you can carry, it’s an expensive exercise of your 2A rights

DC would not honor my previous military service because they only honor training taken in the previous 2 years.

I don’t spend enough time in DC to justify the expense.

YMMV of course

Great points, plus the politicians can prey upon you regardless of being in DC or not ;)

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Utah>MD>PA is the path I took.
    As mentioned Florida has its own requirement for its state permit, does not honor any out of state permits.
    My next permits will be from DC then Florida (spent some time at both a few times this year).
    All this time money and hassle because Republicans sat on there ass talking big 2yrs ago but couldn’t get the one low hanging fruit bill of 50 state CCW voted on, passed and then on to the presidents desk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    To clarify FL does not recognize NR permits. They do recognize resident permits from many states

www.handgunlaw.us

Attachments

• 54DF84A9-A75D-45F0-AE87-99D8C34A970D.jpg
      54DF84A9-A75D-45F0-AE87-99D8C34A970D.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 309

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    To clarify FL does not recognize NR permits. They do recognize resident permits from many states

www.handgunlaw.us

Yet another reason to move to VA.

While I teach the MD, UT, FL and VA courses I would recommend the FL and PA (since you already have MD) permits to meet your needs. The training you did to apply for the MD permit and or the MD HQL will cover the training requirements of FL.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Yet another reason to move to VA.

While I teach the MD, UT, FL and VA courses I would recommend the FL and PA (since you already have MD) permits to meet your needs. The training you did to apply for the MD permit and or the MD HQL will cover the training requirements of FL.

I think the Florida non resident would be sufficient, not quite clear if it can be done solely online or would require to be done while there. Obviously PA is a separate issue not covered under Florida NR CCW.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Any NRA or firearms course taught by an NRA certified instructor that includes one round of live fire is acceptable. Online is not accepted

The exception to the live fire requirement is a hunter safety class given by a state.

It does not have to be in state

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If going to actual Fla, you'll need a Fl non-res . If you wish to conceal in DE, you'll need a UT .

Don't overlook NH for an all around Permit, if you don't go out West, it covers pretty much everywhere east of the Mississippi, and is the quickest to recieve .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom