• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    FWIW I am currently deep in the MPDC application.

Obviously you cannot have felonies on your record. To be MPDC, you have to pass a polygraph, physical exam, reading comprehension, psychological evaluation, problem solving, etc... the review is extensive.

Take the time to go to the MPDC orientation and figure out if you are interested in what MPDC has to offer.

:thumbsup:

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I am not MPDC but was gonna lateral for convenience and although I cannot speak for the full process I do know that you will have an orientation, a pat, writing sample, test, bi and poly which btw was recently implemented as DC didnt require one in the past.

The PAT is so easy I couldnt believe it was a PAT. Yet people fail. For new recruit average time not always can be 4-5 months. They are hiring like crazy but they are also firing like crazy. Blue Plains is a lovely location!

Sent via Samsung Galaxy 3 or iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

John81

Feb 7, 2012
    You should apply for Capitol police, they start out with the highest pay and best benefits in the area.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yesssss........ Actually I think I already answered emails in reference to this thread anyway im here for questions.

Coop de Ville

Nov 11, 2012
    Congrats on your application. A little over a decade ago I decided to forgo a spot with the Durham County Sheriff's Dept. and take a job with MPD. It's been a ride to say the least. The ups can be great. You will be THE officer in charge on scene... not CP, SS, or Park. If you get a district like I did, you will see nothing but non stop, potentially life threatening action :D

Or you could do your 25 writing parking tickets in GTown, it's all up to you. There are downsides as well. Being the Capitol, we are subject to more politics than you can shake a stick at, and that translates into endless "details" and schedule changes. Don't think you will be going home on time.

In any case, It's a good Dept. if you can stay focused on your career and ignore all the bs drama around you... there will be quite a lot. It pays well, and at least currently, has a good retirement package.

Best of luck, Regards,

-Coop

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You should apply for Capitol police, they start out with the highest pay and best benefits in the area.

And, you get to get bitch-slapped by some of the more honorable congress women.

sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    Congrats on your application. A little over a decade ago I decided to forgo a spot with the Durham County Sheriff's Dept. and take a job with MPD. It's been a ride to say the least. The ups can be great. You will be THE officer in charge on scene... not CP, SS, or Park. If you get a district like I did, you will see nothing but non stop, potentially life threatening action :D

Or you could do your 25 writing parking tickets in GTown, it's all up to you. There are downsides as well. Being the Capitol, we are subject to more politics than you can shake a stick at, and that translates into endless "details" and schedule changes. Don't think you will be going home on time.

In any case, It's a good Dept. if you can stay focused on your career and ignore all the bs drama around you... there will be quite a lot. It pays well, and at least currently, has a good retirement package.

Best of luck, Regards,

-Coop

Coming from the Marine Corps I think I can handle the ups and downs. I'm just worried about the long process to even get to the academy, when they told me about the polygraph taking 6-8 hours to complete, and psych test I was like this is gonna be harder than I thought

big pimpin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore MD
    You will be THE officer in charge on scene... not CP,You can be if you have the balls to stand up to your officials which many don't

Being the Capitol, we are subject to more politics than you can shake a stick at, and then some and a ton of drama and BS

and that translates into endless "details" and schedule changes. Don't think you will be going home on time. 100% disagree with this...very rare are you just held over but it does happen on occasion that's few...OT is easy to dump and it's very easy to work 40 hour work weeks if you want to

In any case, It's a good Dept. if you can stay focused on your career and ignore all the bs drama around you... there will be quite a lot.AGREE

It pays well,VERY WELL

and at least currently, has a good retirement package.Disagree...retirement is awful..better put a ton in your TSP

Best of luck, Regards,

-Coop

All that said it's a decent place to work

Great Pay, tons of leave availability , allows for a very comfortable home life if you are smart

Boredom is a ton though

The key is finding that spot and shift you enjoy and don't get involved in the BS and drama

That said the moral is the worst I've seen it right now in the MANY years I've been on. Hopefully the new chief that starts next week will improve this

Classes are very small right now and few and far between at USCP, figure at least 1 year or longer in the process before the academy

Any questions just ask

Peace

Coop de Ville

Nov 11, 2012
    I will add that coming from the Marine Corp, you will most likely be frustrated will all the lazy POS officers around you. Not all, but many. I wasn't in the Corp, but many of my friends were. They seem to be a bit more motivated than your average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom