• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    Next week I'm meeting some friends after work to go to a range in Virginia. I work in DC. Is it legal to drive into DC, park during the day, and then go to Virginia in the evening? The rifle would be locked in my trunk.

I'd hate to have to go all the way home before heading out to the range.

Sent from the toilet via Tapatalk

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I believe what you are suggesting would be a no no in DC. Since you are making a prolonged stop in DC, FOPA would not protect you. You are not passing through.

Where do the friends live? Can you meet them the day before and give them the rifle? Obviously, do not do this in DC.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't even think you can have an "unauthorized" empty casing in your possession in DC without risking arrest. I'm serious.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    its a big risk! do you want to get charge with firearm violation and loose all your firearms?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Felony. Don't even think about it.

If you were passing through, you would have FOPA as an affirmative defense. Stopping and working with firearms in your vehicle? Don't even consider it. You have no FOPA protections under the scenario you outline.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Felony. Don't even think about it.

If you were passing through, you would have FOPA as an affirmative defense. Stopping and working with firearms in your vehicle? Don't even consider it. You have no FOPA protections under the scenario you outline.

I wouldn't even 'pass through', FOPA-covered or NOT. Any 'planned' stopping is asking for trouble, even more so.

But also if you run out of gas, have flat tire or a break down, etc. that would alert the police would also open you up to inspection. I know it's stretching the point, but who are you going to argue with and how much is it going to cost you in time and money defending yourself just because you wanted to save some time and gas. DC cops will cut you no slack.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    Roger that. I didnt know what DC law stated. I'll just bring them out the night before

its a big risk! do you want to get charge with firearm violation and loose all your firearms?

I didnt know what the laws were. Thats why I asked. Obviously I dont want a weapons charge

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I wouldn't even 'pass through', FOPA-covered or NOT. Any 'planned' stopping is asking for trouble, even more so.

But also if you run out of gas, have flat tire or a break down, etc. that would alert the police would also open you up to inspection. I know it's stretching the point, but who are you going to argue with and how much is it going to cost you in time and money defending yourself just because you wanted to save some time and gas. DC cops will cut you no slack.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Agree, I wouldn't even THINK about driving through D.C. esp with a firearm, legal or not. Not worth the trouble or hassle were it to occur.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    So to check this out, I sent the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department an email with the question "Is there a safe, legal, and accepted manner in which to transport firearms through DC, or is my only option to take a less direct route around the District?"

Here is their response:

In regard to transporting a firearm in a vehicle, you may travel through D.C. in route to a destination where it is lawful for you to possess the firearm. U.S. code title 18 regulates this type of transportation. The firearm must be kept unloaded and out of reach in the trunk of your vehicle at all times. No stops may be made within the District's borders.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance please call the Firearms Registration/Gun Control Unit at (202)727-4275, or email Sergeant Colin Hall at Colin.Hall@dc.gov.

Here is USC Title 18.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    So to check this out, I sent the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department an email with the question "Is there a safe, legal, and accepted manner in which to transport firearms through DC, or is my only option to take a less direct route around the District?"

Here is their response:

Here is USC Title 18.

Thanks! I think in the spirit of DC's effed up laws, I'll just avoid it altogether ;)

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Thanks! I think in the spirit of DC's effed up laws, I'll just avoid it altogether ;)

I'm not a lawyer, but I certainly wouldn't advise it. :cool:

Ya know, reading through that response (which obviously isn't the actual law, but run with this a second..) they said, "No stops may be made within the District's borders." Certainly getting gas or a flat tire or some other mechanical issue is stopping. Imagine if you had to take the rifle out of your trunk to reach the jack or spare tire!

But could "making a stop" be extended by aggressive police to mean stop signs? Red lights? Very murky.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm not a lawyer, but I certainly wouldn't advise it. :cool:

Ya know, reading through that response (which obviously isn't the actual law, but run with this a second..) they said, "No stops may be made within the District's borders." Certainly getting gas or a flat tire or some other mechanical issue is stopping. Imagine if you had to take the rifle out of your trunk to reach the jack or spare tire!

But could "making a stop" be extended by aggressive police to mean stop signs? Red lights? Very murky.

FOPA (Title 18 SS 926A)isn't that specific on what defines a "stop". But MPD's past history is one of over zealous and aggressive enforcement. No one wants to find out via first hand experience IMO. You don't know how a judge or jury in DC might rule even if you show your intent to comply with the law but something like a flat tire occurs.

Just don't even bother. There are better and safer alternatives IMO.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Take it from me.......NO

I am fairly knowledgeable about the the current DC gun laws. The correct answer is what mpdc4511 said, "NO!!!". DC is willing to severely prosecute you even if it is a technical infraction and you had no criminal intent.

Figure out another solution.:)

I cannot recommend to NEVER transport through DC because it is very legal from a Federal stand point. You just need to have your ducks in a serious row. I have transported firearms almost weekly in and out of DC for years with no problems. I am darn sure the guns are unloaded, ammo in the trunk, I have targets on the way to the range, gun cases locked. My car is small so the gun cases do ride in the passenger compartment behind the seats, again they have locks on them. I drive ultra safe to not offer a reason to get pulled over.

Next week I'm meeting some friends after work to go to a range in Virginia. I work in DC. Is it legal to drive into DC, park during the day, and then go to Virginia in the evening? The rifle would be locked in my trunk.

I'd hate to have to go all the way home before heading out to the range.

Sent from the toilet via Tapatalk

Here is their response:

Here is USC Title 18.

Exactly. Dont do this. You can drive through DC just you cant stop. It is what it is.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Esoteric fact....

If we're going to really get down to the finest details, remember that in order to transit the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, even on 495, you pass through a tiny sliver of DC.

Just be sure not to time a flat tire right in that spot. :lol2:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 5.45.32 AM.jpg
      Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 5.45.32 AM.jpg
      19.7 KB · Views: 401

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Same thing for driving the GW Parkway in VA and crossing Columbia Island. You're in DC for a mile or so.

Attachments

• columbia island.JPG
      columbia island.JPG
      101.6 KB · Views: 388

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads