• 600e99bf6a9cef8b238f0e75d1491d7f--queens-post.jpg
      600e99bf6a9cef8b238f0e75d1491d7f--queens-post.jpg
      23.5 KB · Views: 413

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    .300 Win Mag.

ahhhh....I was gonna say something like that in my first post in this thread,
    was thinking more on the line of AK47, it works good on other types of "fish" a
    different twist on "catch n release". Fun in the sun....:thumbsup:
    if the boat don't sink...or roll over:innocent0
    just bring your tanks,
    wash the AK off throw some oil on it when done...

-Rock

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you are targeting them, you may want to use a short braded wire leader, like those used for Musky fishing.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You do not "have" to kill them anymore and many anglers are releasing them now. The DNR would like you too, but there is no law against not killing them any longer.

Read here The DNR has settled on , they are not going anywhere and hope to kill as many as you can. Fines are a PITA to enforce on them and its just open season on them. No size or creel limits. It's a no guilt catch and kill fish.
    Code:
    MD DNR [B]strongly encourages[/B] anglers to harvest and kill any northern snakehead that they catch.

I have caught them on Top water, spinnerbait, jigs, shakey head jigs and flukes. Minnows are their favorite food and what ever is weedless is best!! I have never bothered with a wire leader and never had a problem.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You do not "have" to kill them anymore and many anglers are releasing them now. The DNR would like you too, but there is no law against not killing them any longer.

Read here The DNR has settled on , they are not going anywhere and hope to kill as many as you can. Fines are a PITA to enforce on them and its just open season on them. No size or creel limits. It's a no guilt catch and kill fish.
    Code:
    MD DNR [B]strongly encourages[/B] anglers to harvest and kill any northern snakehead that they catch.

I have caught them on Top water, spinnerbait, jigs, shakey head jigs and flukes. Minnows are their favorite food and what ever is weedless is best!! I have never bothered with a wire leader and never had a problem.

Why would anyone let one go? Those bastards are destructive.

dpgunit05

Sep 7, 2013
    I have video of a snakehead being caught below the lower dam at Loch Raven. Wasn't me the reel, but they'll be everywhere soon enough. Took a screenshot of the video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180510-123125_Video Player.jpg
      Screenshot_20180510-123125_Video Player.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 368

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    The DNR doesnt know exactly how they got to the Eastern Shore.Either an illegal stocking or they swam across the bay.Either way,they will be here from now on.Look how many places have them and how prolific they are.

I wonder what the panfish population will be like in the future.

Feb 28, 2013
    Coupla weeks ago I stopped at the Royal Farms down at the 108mm on 50 one afternoon.

Watched a fella pull one outta the storm water pond behind it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Why would anyone let one go? Those bastards are destructive.

This makes no sense, I guess there are two schools of thought. We can accept them as a potential new sport fish and they are certainly not unique in this sense but they will destroy native as well as introduced sport fish populations.

Two try to hold them back as long as we can. Given their survivability, lack of any suitable apex predator and reproductive rate they probably will be here regardless. These things really are the ultimate freshwater predator.

I still vote for killing them to slow their spread as much as possible.

Feb 28, 2013
    This makes no sense, I guess there are two schools of thought. We can accept them as a potential new sport fish and they are certainly not unique in this sense but they will destroy native as well as introduced sport fish populations.

Two try to hold them back as long as we can. Given their survivability, lack of any suitable apex predator and reproductive rate they probably will be here regardless. These things really are the ultimate freshwater predator.

And, they’re good eatin’. Win-win. :D

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county

I think the tournaments make a lot of sense. Teams kill off a bunch of them. They also have people cooking them to show how good they taste. It kind of reminds me of how they approached the lion fish problem in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I'm pretty sure it is all legal except for M-80's and like explosive devices :-)

I have not caught one in the Pax river watershed yet but when I do it will be cooked or used as crab bait.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Kill them every chance you get. They are the feral pigs of the river.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom