• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    I am probably moving to a rural area of MD or VA in the next year or so. Looking to purchase a repro M1 for general use and [of course] self defense. I do not want to go with USGI to knock around with simply because I would not want it damaged.

My question is what are your thoughts on Auto Ordnance, Fulton Arms, Inland, and other M1 repros for my intended use?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You're going to pay about the same for a knock off. Fulton Armory would be, I believe, a parts gun with some parts original, so you really aren't entirely preserving history with one if that is your intent.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I considered the same sort of criteria. I found many reliability issues reported with the reproduction M1 carbines. The internet is full of gripes.

I have a Universal from 1980 that works pretty well. I have no complaints with my carbine. But I would not recommend that you search out a Universal. Research firing out of battery. Very, very bad if that happens. Also the steels used are not very hard.

Given the expertise of Fulton Armory I would not hesitate to buy from them if I wanted a M1 Carbine and I had the money. I'm sure that a Fulton gun would be absolutely top notch.

I ended up with a used stainless Mini14 (that I have not shot yet). I picked this up used a few years back - it is a used prison guard gun that i got for about $500. Note that Ruger factory magazines are very expensive and 223 is louder than M1 carbine. 223 ammo is cheaper and more available than M1 Carbine. My reasoning is that the Mini14 has a great reputation for reliability and should match the accuracy of a reproduction M1 Carbine. The Mini in 7.62x39 is another option.

It is very likely that an inexpensive AR15 would actually be cheaper and might work better for you. Parts everywhere, ammo is inexpensive and an optic would be an easy thing to add later.

Maybe this helps to answer your question - maybe it doesn't. You're the one that best knows your requirements.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I think that you would be better off with a Mini 14 or Mini 30, if you want a .30 caliber carbine. The .30 Carbine round is known as a poor man stopper. A pistol caliber carbine is also a another choice, an 16' AR or a Kel-Tec Sub-2000, would be a good choice, a Hi-Point carbine is a cheaper choice.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    You can probably find USGI for the cost of a new made. Maybe for the cost if a used new made. They are great fun and reasonable to shoot. Very light and handy. Simple handsome weapons. They will hold their value, and you won’t hurt them by shooting them. Not enough stopping power? Soft points are available and maybe JHPs. 110 gr, moving at 1950 fps is not shabby. I have a couple of winchesters imported by blue sky, prob from korea, maybe isreal. One on the rack at cabelas, the other from SOG a while back. They shoot real good.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Military Arms Channel on YouTube just did a video on the Fulton Armory M1 carbine...gave a very favorable report.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The .30 Carbine round is known as a poor man stopper.

If a .30 caliber 115 grain round at 1900 FPS is such a poor stopper, why is a 115 grain 9mm round at 1300 FPS such a great stopper? Of course, that's fmj against fmj. The .30 Carbine is available in hollow points which would certainly improve its capabilities.

I do agree there may be better selections and we all have our preferences but the OP is asking spefically about the M1 Carbine.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree. "pistol caliber" can be as much as half the muzzle energy of .30.

Bizzare suggestion after the criticsm

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think that you would be better off with a Mini 14 or Mini 30, if you want a .30 caliber carbine. The .30 Carbine round is known as a poor man stopper. A pistol caliber carbine is also a another choice, an 16' AR or a Kel-Tec Sub-2000, would be a good choice, a Hi-Point carbine is a cheaper choice.

The M1 Carbine IS a pistol caliber carbine! Actually a lot more powerful than most, supposedly comparable to a .357 magnum from a long barrel.

Actually, I would worry about overpenetration compared to the .223. Somebody noted it's not so loud as the 5.56mm, though.

A folding stock M1A1 Carbine is awfully compact and light compared to a Mini 14. I wonder how the weight compares to an AR "pistol" in .300 Blackout? Because for practical use, home defense, a compact lightweight carbine in .300 Blackout might be worth considering.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The M1 Carbine IS a pistol caliber carbine! Actually a lot more powerful than most, supposedly comparable to a .357 magnum from a long barrel.

Actually, I would worry about overpenetration compared to the .223. Somebody noted it's not so loud as the 5.56mm, though.

A folding stock M1A1 Carbine is awfully compact and light compared to a Mini 14. I wonder how the weight compares to an AR "pistol" in .300 Blackout? Because for practical use, home defense, a compact lightweight carbine in .300 Blackout might be worth considering.

A 300 Black pistol is a great suggestion. Even better - start with a pistol and then turn it into a legal SBR, then you'll really have something!

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Look around and find a M1 carbine made by Plainfield. All USGI parts will fit them. Most Plainfield carbines you will find have their barrel and bolt and the rest GI parts.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    There should be quite a number of nice original M1 Carbines for sale at the antiques arms show in Timonium next weekend. I have not been to that show in several years but a solid USGI gun started at about $900 at that time.

There may also be a fresh shipment of M1 Carbine available through CMP in the near future. Who knows what they will look like or what the cost will be.

A reproduction will not likely go up in value. An as original USGI gun will likely appreciate over the years.

I know i'd trade my Universal (made in Florida in the 1980's) + cash for a nice USGI in a heartbeat.

If you can find hollow point or softpoint ammo for the M1 Carbine and it works reliably, the stopping power of a carbine goes up in my opinion. Jim Cirillo of the NY Stakeout squad was fond of his carbine.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you have your heart set on an M1 carbine, then either get a Fulton Armory offering, or get a USGI version from a show or other member. I have not heard any enthusiasm for the other M1 Carbine clones out there, new or old.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis

Not sure what you mean when you say the carbine is a pistol calibr carbine. The 30 caliber carbine cartridge was developed by winchester for the army and was based on the .32 WRA self loading cartridge...a rifle cartridge. This was never a pistol cartridge until ruger chambered the SA revolver in it. Some carbines, as originally issued ( they stopped making them in 1945) are very costly and i wouldn’t shoot them often, but so many others are available, rearsenaled by the govt. after/ durring the war and parts are readily available. Its a history you can shoot. How much fun is that?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If you have your heart set on an M1 carbine, then either get a Fulton Armory offering, or get a USGI version from a show or other member. I have not heard any enthusiasm for the other M1 Carbine clones out there, new or old.

Military Arms Channel has a youtube review of the Fulton M1. He's going to buy a second one, he liked it so much.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Are you going for this look?

Attachments

• serveimage.jpg
      serveimage.jpg
      39.6 KB · Views: 311

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads