• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    This would be a real kick in the nuts for law abiding gun owners.

Hopefully they will conclude that too many of their voters will get pinched for it in Baltimore...and they decide to back off. Maybe they will ban IDPA fishing vests instead to get at their real enemies. Going to contact all reps and try to make trip to Annapolis....

PS- is there any way OP can update the title? I’m concerned that a lot of people won’t read this thread and we need everyone to email and call Annapolis. I think “mag possession ban” gets more clicks than “HB 991”.

andrewkozak

Sep 9, 2015
    Anne Arundel County
    Contributing my email template for voicing opposition:

Having reviewed the change to Section 4-305 of the Annotated Code proposed in House Bill 991 / Senate Bill 1062, i.e. to ban the possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, I respectfully request that you oppose this change. Section 4-306 of same already provides additional penalties for crimes committed while in possession of this type of magazine: "§ 4-306 (b) (1) A person who uses an assault weapon, or a magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition, in the commission of a felony or a crime of violence as defined in § 5–101 of the Public Safety Article is guilty of a misdemeanor" thus negating the need for a general ban. Imposing further restrictions on the possession of these magazines will therefore only impact those who possess them for lawful purposes. The result will be, at least, a significant financial impact on those law-abiding citizens who will be forced to purchase new magazines to ensure compliance with the law or, at worst, the inability of law-abiding citizens to use their legal firearms for which 10-round magazines are not commercially available, creating a de facto deprivation of rights as recognized by the State of Maryland under the Second Amendment. As your constituent and an active voter, I urge you to consider the negative impact this proposed change will have on the residents of our community, and respectfully request that you oppose House Bill 991 / Senate Bill 1062, as written.​

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County

Having reviewed the change to Section 4-305 of the Annotated Code proposed in House Bill 991 / Senate Bill 1062, i.e. to ban the possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, I respectfully request that you oppose this change. Section 4-306 of same already provides additional penalties for crimes committed while in possession of this type of magazine: "§ 4-306 (b) (1) A person who uses an assault weapon, or a magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition, in the commission of a felony or a crime of violence as defined in § 5–101 of the Public Safety Article is guilty of a misdemeanor" thus negating the need for a general ban. Imposing further restrictions on the possession of these magazines will therefore only impact those who possess them for lawful purposes. The result will be, at least, a significant financial impact on those law-abiding citizens who will be forced to purchase new magazines to ensure compliance with the law or, at worst, the inability of law-abiding citizens to use their legal firearms for which 10-round magazines are not commercially available, creating a de facto deprivation of rights as recognized by the State of Maryland under the Second Amendment. As your constituent and an active voter, I urge you to consider the negative impact this proposed change will have on the residents of our community, and respectfully request that you oppose House Bill 991 / Senate Bill 1062, as written.​

Great first post. Don't forget to stop by the Introduction thread too.

In my email, I also cited the Injunction granted by a California Judge. If this style won't pass muster in Cali, it shouldn't here either.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...

Thank you for that andrewkozak..well done.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Another Hi-capacity non event from the Baltimore City Police. https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreCityPolice/posts/10155062334026956

Note the repeated theme: Repeat Offender Arrested with Loaded Gun

27654777_10155062333981956_427623119388487208_n.jpg

And honestly that's how the majority of turds carrying are caught. They almost never seem to load a magazine even close to all the way up. Most of them don't even have any ammo to do it with. They got the gun and a few rounds illegally and that's how they carry.

And six-shot .38 caliber revolvers are still one of the top crime guns out there by statistics every year too.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Another Hi-capacity non event from the Baltimore City Police. https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreCityPolice/posts/10155062334026956

Note the repeated theme: Repeat Offender Arrested with Loaded Gun

27654777_10155062333981956_427623119388487208_n.jpg

And honestly from my experience that's how the majority of turds carrying are caught. They almost never seem to load a magazine even close to all the way up. Most of them don't even have any ammo to do it with. They got the gun and a few rounds illegally and that's how they carry.

And six-shot .38 caliber revolvers are still one of the top crime guns out there by statistics every year too.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    What else do we know about the support for this crap? I don’t think there is anyway I can remain in this state is something this stupid passes. Tyranny runs rampant in Matyland’s Capitol. We need one more seat on SCOTUS so we can end this crap once and for all. Shall not be INFRINGED!!!!

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    People who are really going to get screwed are the democrats who heard guns were being banned during the FSA2013 fiasco. A bunch went out and bought them with standard mags and put them away. They do not frequent gun boards or follow gun laws in the state. They just wanted one before they were banned. They will now become felons and not know it until they get popped for possessing a simple metal box.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Still don't see this one gaining traction with only Bmore sponsoring it and 2 similar laws being overturned in more liberal states than us, but I'm being the hopefully optimistic guy in the thread.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Well, if they go full tilt with this one it should be easy to overturn as already shown in Cali and NY. Push it right back through the previous 20rd limit to pre-FSA2013 standard of no magazine restrictions. 2 birds with one stone.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Well, if they go full tilt with this one it should be easy to overturn as already shown in Cali and NY. Push it right back through the previous 20rd limit to pre-FSA2013 standard of no magazine restrictions. 2 birds with one stone.

I keep reading on this forum that people aren't worried about this because California's law was struck down but that is totally wrong. There is a REAL threat that California's law will be deemed constitutional and put into effect...

https://www.courthousenews.com/californias-ban-on-gun-magazines-survives-challenge/

http://www.hometownstation.com/sant...-california-high-capacity-magazine-ban-221165

Guess who is on this list! http://www.guns.com/2017/10/23/dem-attorneys-general-unite-in-support-of-california-magazine-ban/

This is a REAL threat in California and Maryland and everyone should be writing their lawmakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom