• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I think you're exaggerating be but maybe from the hills and valleys of Calvert Co. DC seems like this evil place.

DC, LA, San Diego, NYC, Silicon Valley, Phoenix, Bangkok...Calvert is just where I live. If you knew me you'd be more judicious in your condescension.

And seeing as how you are so well versed in the world of DC, please explain to us kids in class the procedures to be followed when a contract security guard or uniformed civil service doing random searches finds any type of illegal contraband. Who do they contact and how do they document?

Please. Waiting to learn from you.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC is special. Just ask them.

You know--like Special Ed

Attachments

• short bus.jpg
      short bus.jpg
      12.1 KB · Views: 343

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    DC can be overzealous in enforcing it's gun laws.

Right. In general MPD seems to have a very reasonable, professional and pragmatic enforcement style. The officers in the firearms reg office are some of the most professional and friendly DC Gov employees I have dealt with. There is real police work after all to be done out there in 5,6, and 7D. You seem to have to be doing something egregiously stupid to illicit a traffic stop, or just unlucky enough to be speeding by a patrol that is specifically tasked to traffic enforcement....

All those kind things being said, if someone without a registered firearm got pulled over for a simple traffic stop and had a spent 12GA shell in plain sight from some innocent skeet shooting earlier in the day, I have no doubt that there is a 95% chance they would throw the book at you. The officers would make an arrest, and the AG would happily railroad you. Now you have a record, a ton of atty fees, and if your job requires not having a record, your livelihood could be in jeopardy as well.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hence the post about getting a permit even if you have no intention of carrying.

Good advice given some of the anecdotal evidence posted.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    As long as you have a registered firearm in DC you can possess ammunition. The ammunition doesn't have to be the same caliber that's listed on the certificate and card of the registered firearm(s).

One of my registered guns is a Glock 27 that's listed on the card and certificate as .40 S&W. I converted it to 357 Sig a year ago. I made sure it was ok to do so under the regulations without having to update the paperwork.

I know a guy from Maryland. He was in the lobby of DC police HQ, emptying his pockets to go through the scanner and recognized he had a round in his pocket...

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Right. In general MPD seems to have a very reasonable, professional and pragmatic enforcement style. The officers in the firearms reg office are some of the most professional and friendly DC Gov employees I have dealt with. There is real police work after all to be done out there in 5,6, and 7D. You seem to have to be doing something egregiously stupid to illicit a traffic stop, or just unlucky enough to be speeding by a patrol that is specifically tasked to traffic enforcement....

All those kind things being said, if someone without a registered firearm got pulled over for a simple traffic stop and had a empty 12GA shell in plain sight from some innocent skeet shooting earlier in the day, I have no doubt that there is a 95% chance they would throw the book at you. The officers would make an arrest, and the AG would happily railroad you. Now you have a record, a ton of atty fees, and if your job requires not having a record, your livelihood could be in jeopardy as well.

Besides the DC Police you have the US Park Police, US Capitol Police, Federal Protective Service (Dept. Of Homeland Security) and US Secret Service Uniformed who all make traffic stops depending upon what part of the city you're in. There are also many different federal police agencies that can grab you and your vehicle depending on what grounds you're on and where you're parked, not to mention the federal agents Deputy US Marshals and military police.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The practical outcome remains to be seen. But using Palmer as a guide, my guess is that DC will ask for a stay pending appeal (they have a right to an immediate appeal) and Gura will consent to a limited time stay, as he did in Palmer. The D.C. Circuit will likely grant a stay pending appeal so as to preserve the status quo and prevent the rivers of blood from flowing through DC streets (wait, you say, don't the bad guys shoot innocent people in DC anyhow? Tut, tut, don't bother me with the facts). So applying now will like either be (1) denied outright or (2) held pending appellate disposition. Now a denial has potential consequences. Many states ask if you have been denied a permit and you would have to answer that question affirmatively. Would that matter to the state, given that it is DC? I don't know.

I hope Gura doesn't budge an inch. The original plaintiffs have gone 6 years with no relief. You can damn well bet if the roles were reversed DC wouldn't either. No more Mr. Nice guy, it just leads to more delays.

As far as the denial affecting future CCWs, I think that's more of a myth than reality. I haven't heard of any cases where someone was actually denied. I specifically disclosed on my Maine application that I had been denied in NJ for lack of "justifiable need". Permit showed up a few weeks later, no questions asked.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I hope Gura doesn't budge an inch. The original plaintiffs have gone 6 years with no relief. You can damn well bet if the roles were reversed DC wouldn't either. No more Mr. Nice guy, it just leads to more delays.

As far as the denial affecting future CCWs, I think that's more of a myth than reality. I haven't heard of any cases where someone was actually denied. I specifically disclosed on my Maine application that I had been denied in NJ for lack of "justifiable need". Permit showed up a few weeks later, no questions asked.

Agreed. But it is a consideration. More apt is whether folks want to take the time and $ to file an application while this appeal process is underway. Time is $$ for me. As to Gura, he is a realist. If he doesn't budge, then they just run off to the court of appeals and get a stay in short order. Not a lot of sense in that. The game is much bigger than these individual plaintiffs. I am certain they understand that.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    It's simply bad for business. If this stands, crime will drop. We can't have that. Statistics will show that CCW holders didn't open the floodgates of blood upon the streets. Their whole model will fall apart. The emperor will be proven to not be wearing any clothes. Again, We can't have that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They appealed Heller. Some advised them not to. They did anyway.You can't change the minds of these people.

As long as they think they have a scintilla of prevailing, they will continue until there is no path left.

Just an uneducated observation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    agreed. She jut wants to look like they're in compliance with the injunction.

Until she's not.

The leopard and her spots and all.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    "About 100 people have applied for permits, and very few have been denied, she said.

"The vast majority of people applying for permits to carry in the District are not D.C. residents," Lanier said on NewsChannel 8's "NewsTalk" program. "Our residents are very clear that this is not something they wanted."

Maybe people dont want to risk loosing the insanely high applicatin fee on a gamble that they will not be approved.

Mr H

Banana'd
    "About 100 people have applied for permits, and very few have been denied, she said.

"The vast majority of people applying for permits to carry in the District are not D.C. residents," Lanier said on NewsChannel 8's "NewsTalk" program. "Our residents are very clear that this is not something they wanted."

Maybe people dont want to risk loosing the insanely high applicatin fee on a gamble that they will not be approved.

Wife just read me that exact quote off the Ch 7 article...

My response??

The residents generally either can't afford it, or know they'd be denied for 'other' issues... so they don't apply!

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Last I heard very few had been denied because over half of the applications weren't listed as approved or denied (still in process I assume). So yea, she won't deny you for not having "good cause" but she'll sit on your application. IIRC the law is really vague on permit processing times, so she wouldn't be violating the law by holding until DC gets its stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom