• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Emily already got her permit, I would be happy with "Joe Sixpack gets his permit".

Yep, she got her permit and then shut up about it, pretty much throwing everyone else under the bus by helping DC to claim that they approved 20% of the 76 people (at the time) that applied. She neglected to report that many thousands more would have applied if the requirements weren't so draconian that only a narrow group of people could apply and get approved.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Absolutely incredible Monday, this. Once again... Gura layin' down the People's Elbow.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    For shall issue

If the PI tosses the DC permit laws in Palmer, then DC should be back to constitutional carry.

I'd like to hear some more discussion on this, and the likely practical outcome(s) of today's order/ruling.

FYI - TheTruthAboutGuns.com is recommending that you apply for your DC permit while you can.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Can I mail in this DC app? Filled it out. Just need the training. I don't know if I qualify for an exemption. I have a MD permit and a variety of others but I imagine that is irrelevant.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    Excellent. This helps lay additional groundwork to dismantle Maryland's unconstitutional licensing scheme via the courts.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    A great win but..........I have to say in these cases involving an anti government, the District Court's ruling is almost meaningless. It mainly then depends upon the panel draw at the DC Circuit. Even if we win that, I don't put it past ANY circuit to not try to en banc a positive 2A ruling (although according to stats, the DC Circuit rarely does it).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]SAF Wins Preliminary Injunction In[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Challenge To New DC Gun Law

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) today won a preliminary injunction against the District of Columbia and Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier’s enforcement of a requirement to provide a “good reason” when applying for a concealed carry permit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Judge Frederick J. Scullin ordered that the city is “enjoined from denying handgun carry licenses to applicants who meet the requirements of D.C. Code 22-4506(a) and all other current requirements for the possession and carrying of handguns under District of Columbia law.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Judge Scullin further wrote in his 23-page opinion that the District’s “good reason/proper reason” requirement “has far more than a ‘de minimis’ effect on [their] rights it completely bars the right from being exercised, at all times and places and in any manner, without exception” and that the requirement “impinges on Plaintiff’s Second Amendment right to bear arms.’[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“This is a devastating loss for the District and its anti-gun-rights policy,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “We’re delighted with the judge’s ruling, because once again, the court has thwarted the District’s blatantly obvious effort to discourage the exercise of Second Amendment rights by forcing permit applicants to jump through a series of hoops and then frustrate them by requiring an arbitrary ‘good reason’ for the exercise of a constitutionally-protected civil right.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gottlieb said that the court ruling essentially says the “good reason” requirement does not pass the smell test.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“It stinks, and always did stink, and now everybody knows it,” Gottlieb said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The order also says that attorneys for both sides shall appear for a conference with the court on July 7, to “discuss an expedited schedule for the resolution of this case.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“You can’t ask for more than that,” Gottlieb said. He noted that this is the second time in a row the District has lost on a carry issue in a case involving SAF.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“This is getting to be rather tiring,” he said. “To quote the renowned American folk trio, Peter, Paul and Mary, ‘when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?’”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]< Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family >[/FONT]​
    Copyright © 2015 Second Amendment Foundation, All Rights Reserved.​
    [FONT=&quot]Second Amendment Foundation
    James Madison Building
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Voice: 425-454-7012
    Toll Free: 800-426-4302
    FAX: 425-451-3959
    email: InformationRequest@saf.org[/FONT]​

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As I understand it, you still need to register your firearm with DC if you get a carry permit. So there is more to this than just the permit. The ruling applies to all US residents as I read it, so all U.S. citizens are eligible for a permit.

I also note that a simple DD214 won't suffice for training. You must have a handgun endorsement on your DD214. We got some pistol instruction when I was in, but nothing on my DD214, making it useless for the training exemption.

IANAL.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    1 handgun registration is included with your handgun permit application fee. The gun registration challenge was heard by the appeals court panel a few weeks ago and it doesn't look good for DC if I interpret the panels questions correctly.

We cover all this, and additional material, such as the 10 round limit in the 16 hour class.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    I heard this on the way in this morning for the first time on WMAL, I immediately thought those idiots have no clue :lol2:

I guess that is now an automatic reaction to a win. Have to fix that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    1 handgun registration is included with your handgun permit application fee. The gun registration challenge was heard by the appeals court panel a few weeks ago and it doesn't look good for DC if I interpret the panels questions correctly.

We cover all this, and additional material, such as the 10 round limit in the 16 hour class.

But don't you have to actually take the firearm to DC Police for registration?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Am I correct in saying that should this go all the way to SCOTUS and be found unconstitutional we would still need to start a new case to have the ruling incorporated against the states as well? Such as how McDonald was the follow up to Heller?

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Great news!!! What does it mean in practical terms over the short run? Does DC need to start issuing permits using the new criteria or will "a stay pending appeal" maintain the status quo until the appeal is decided?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    But don't you have to actually take the firearm to DC Police for registration?

I believe the law says DC may require you to bring it in, and the law attempts to provide some type of safe harbor exemption for that purpose, but all this is being challenged.

IMHO DC wants you to bring it in to make it as much of a burden as possible, and requests you bring the mag with you so they can cite you for more than 10 rd capacity, not because people attempt to register fake firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom