• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    Does anyone know if a firearm which may not currently be registered in DC can be re-registered given the newly proposed registration guidelines? For example, would someone be able to re-register an AR-15 variant given the proposal if they previously registered it in DC?

Below is a link to the MPDC website.
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/node/723022

Below is a redline document with proposed changes:
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/fi...anges to Firearm Registration Regulations.pdf

Given my interpretation of the redlined proposal, it sounds like disqualification comes from the user not being eligible to register, versus the firearm not becoming registerable.

Thanks in advance for your input! I may have to email MPDC since the officer I spoke to last week had no clue what I was talking about (nor knew there was a proposal for re-registration).

greyjhu

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    iobidder, the link you provided does not give any re-regisration information. I found the links in my post from the link you provided.

I want to know if an AR-15 variant can be re-registered given the current proposal.

Thanks-

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Good question. I was down at Gun Registration last week and asked about re-registration (I have some guns first registered in 2010). I was told that re-registration mailings would go out starting in January (in alphabetical order). It will be interesting to see if you get one for your AR. My guess would be that they aren't going to comb through all the records and try to figure out what's legal or illegal. If I had to bet money, I'd wager that you'll get a re-registration for it. Might be best just to stay quiet and see what happens.

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    Thanks, Ack Ack. However, if there is a time to say something, it is BEFORE it goes into law. They are allowing individuals to provide feedback on the proposed changes prior a certain date coming up soon. But in the same breath, I don't want to bring unnecessary attention to it, either...

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Thanks, Ack Ack. However, if there is a time to say something, it is BEFORE it goes into law. They are allowing individuals to provide feedback on the proposed changes prior a certain date coming up soon. But in the same breath, I don't want to bring unnecessary attention to it, either...

What law is going into effect? As far as I knew, all "looks like" an assault weapon are already banned including .22. Did I miss something?

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    iobidder, I called and they asked me to put my question in an email to the Sgt. in charge. Wanted to get feedback on mdshooters prior MPDC.

Ack Ack, certain firearms and ones with certain features are not eligible for registration (or re-registration as it may be related to my question) but are not presently illegal for pistols registered prior to '76 or since firearms registration has been possible under Heller. Per the proposal, if one fails to re-register in a timely manner their registration may become invalid. If definition of banned is not registerable, than yes banned, but not illegal necessarily. From my understanding, evil features only apply to certain types of centerfire firearms. I don't think rimfire including .22 are prohibited from registration with evil features unless they are a banned "style" such as in an AR or AK "type" of setup.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Send me a PM with the situation/senario and I can speak to a firearms registration Sgt. and get you a clear answer, a name, an email stating the answer from two D.C. Police Officers and I'll forward it to you from my Gov address.

That way you have a paper trail of what the answer is.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    mpdc4511, I sent you a PM. Thanks for looking into this for me. Much appreciated.

Regards-

Sorry for the delay I'll have the answer this week. My fiancé just finished her masters and I had to go to Miami and pack her up and attend the ceremony.

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    Thanks, MPDC. Much appreciated and I hope you enjoyed at least a couple days of warm weather before returning back home!

Best,
    greyjhu

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    Completed re-registration process in person today. Since I went after the cashier's hours I will be mailing a check or money order, at which point they will mail me my new registration cards.

-greyjhu

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom