• Status
    Not open for further replies.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    And Matt comes in for the win again

http://nssf.org/members/PDF/AmmunitionLaws-Data.pdf

see page 38

but handloading in D.C. is legal as long as your have a registered weapon with the type of ammo that you are handloading the D.C. Code is 72504.01. I called and spoke to Ofc. Brown who didn't know the answer but asked me to wait for a second while she spoke with her supervisor. She came back with that code, I then found the actual language of the law in the NSSF ammo laws database so OP you have all the resources that you need to make your own ammo.......enjoy!

-Matt

There is a thread on here about some poor sap in DC that had his house raided and was arrested after they discovered 1 empty rifle casing and 1 dud 12 gauge shotshell. :sad20:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=135962

His question was asked and properly answered. I understand you want to "help out" but you may read the law in my above quote if you wish before you hand out wrongful information :)

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Move to MD or VA. I was born in DC, as was my father and his father before him. Wouldn't live there now for love or money.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    His question was asked and properly answered. I understand you want to "help out" but you may read the law in my above quote if you wish before you hand out wrongful information :)

My point was he needs to be very careful. I don't know about everybody else but I always come back from the range with scrounged brass that I may or may not even have a gun for. I realize that the chances of being nailed for something like that are very slim, it seems like DC has no problem enforcing that when it comes up.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Does this mean you will personally straighten out the officer that detains someone wrongfully? That would be a great service. :sarcasm:

Why would we expect consistent and correct enforcement in DC, when we have seen the mess here in MD? Officers clearly work on arbitrary, personal, and frequently incorrect assumptions about what the law truly says on these matters. Several people on this very forum, have reported different and conflicting answers given by the MSP on firearms laws. People have quoted news articles where DC police have freaked out on people. Whether the officer was right or not is irrelevant when they are kicking down your door or pulling you over and detaining you. Don't get me wrong. I doubt the officers are being malicious. They are however, in my opinion, not trained well enough on these matters.

I for one will not risk it. I can be right, and still be hassled, and have to waste money taking time off work to prove I am right in a court of law. The legal fees would just be the salt in the wound.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Case in point:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2799439#post2799439

After entering the house, the police immediately went upstairs, pointed guns at the heads of Mr. Witaschek and his girlfriend, Bonnie Harris, and demanded they surrender, facedown and be handcuffed.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...n-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/#ixzz2idobMduj
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

His 16-year-old son was in the shower when the police arrived. “They used a battering ram to bash down the bathroom door and pull him out of the shower, naked,” said his father. “The police put all the children together in a room, while we were handcuffed upstairs. I could hear them crying, not knowing what was happening.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...n-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/#ixzz2idoppL00
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

So much for a measured response. :sad20:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    And Matt comes in for the win again

http://nssf.org/members/PDF/AmmunitionLaws-Data.pdf

see page 38

but handloading in D.C. is legal as long as your have a registered weapon with the type of ammo that you are handloading the D.C. Code is 72504.01. I called and spoke to Ofc. Brown who didn't know the answer but asked me to wait for a second while she spoke with her supervisor. She came back with that code, I then found the actual language of the law in the NSSF ammo laws database so OP you have all the resources that you need to make your own ammo.......enjoy!

-Matt

Matt that isn't a win. It is old outdated information. nssf's DC gun laws section is full of errors.

And for ammo specifically you do NOT need to have a permit for a weapon of the same caliber/gauge.

You cannot own prohibited ammo ('vest penetration") or ammo for non registerable weapons (50 bmg).

But if you own a DC registered .38 revolver you can buy, keep and store .22, .223, 9mm, 40, 45, 30-08, and their constituent and spent component.

Can a non DC permit holder have a spent shell anywhere? No.
    Can a holder of a permit for a 9mm have .45 shells or the components to make them? Yes. (subject to the same ammo storage, transport, access to minors etc laws as for the caliber they are permittd for)
    Can a person assemble ("manufacture") or hand load for a different caliber than they hold a permit for? seems not.

So the nssf is citing older law which was revised. It isnt trivial that you can go to VA or Md. buy and bring back into the district 9mm or 45 if you own a .22. This was illegal until a couple of years ago and is no longer illegal (I was part of the group that pushed for this change.) DC revised the purchase ownership and possession laws for caliber other than licensed for, but not the hand load section

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Weren't we recently told by one of our resident MPD officers that they would not arrest soley for ammo and components?
    MPD officers are probably the worst source of info on DC gun laws. Best case is dc council judiciary committee staff which can actually give you a read out on a specific situation that usable in court

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Matt that isn't a win. It is old outdated information. nssf's DC gun laws section is full of errors.

And for ammo specifically you do NOT need to have a permit for a weapon of the same caliber/gauge.

You cannot own prohibited ammo ('vest penetration") or ammo for non registerable weapons (50 bmg).

But if you own a DC registered .38 revolver you can buy, keep and store .22, .223, 9mm, 40, 45, 30-08, and their constituent and spent component.

Can a non DC permit holder have a spent shell anywhere? No.
    Can a holder of a permit for a 9mm have .45 shells or the components to make them? Yes. (subject to the same ammo storage, transport, access to minors etc laws as for the caliber they are permittd for)
    Can a person assemble ("manufacture") or hand load for a different caliber than they hold a permit for? seems not.

So the nssf is citing older law which was revised. It isnt trivial that you can go to VA or Md. buy and bring back into the district 9mm or 45 if you own a .22. This was illegal until a couple of years ago and is no longer illegal (I was part of the group that pushed for this change.) DC revised the purchase ownership and possession laws for caliber other than licensed for, but not the hand load section

I posted the info after speaking to a MPD Officer who got the information from her Sgt. After admitting she didn't have the information. Also my name/rank/assignment/ and district has been posted publicly MULTIPLE times and the 4511 after my name is my current and accurate badge number. I would 100% have zero problem if anything did arise should said person state. "The information given to me in this thread was from a current DC police officer named Matt Jones who is assigned to the street crimes unit in the Sixth District"

I also only posted that website because it was the most user friendly version of the actual hand loading law I was quoting.

Do you have any updated information hand loading laws?

PS the question above is not meant to be nasty I'm actually asking if you have any other current DC Code on reloading please share.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Sensationalism but again thanks for sharing.

I love unconditional support for your coworkers. The thin blue line works for you, but not so well for some people in DC.

I like police and public servants that do their job with integrity. I would like those that don't have it, to find other work.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    People have posted several news articles for you. If you choose not to believe them, that is your choice.

Just because the law says it is fine, does not prevent an overzealous officer, or informed officer, from doing it his way. People on this very forum, have called the MD police department, and gotten wrong information about SB281. DC appears to be no different.

If you missed the part where your very own police chief provided firearms to Feinstein, then I don't know what to say. Your implication that all DC police are people of integrity, and well informed on DC law, have been proven to be untrue.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/9/miller-how-a-senator-got-her-guns-for-a-dc-show-an/?page=all

http://www.examiner.com/article/d-c-philly-police-provided-feinstein-arms-to-help-her-promote-her-gun-ban

To quote the Joker, "This town needs an enema."

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I love unconditional support for your coworkers. The thin blue line works for you, but not so well for some people in DC.

I like police and public servants that do their job with integrity. I would like those that don't have it, to find other work.

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bars today.

Guy goes out of his way to help out, gets chastised by a "law abiding citizen" who "likes police". Pretty sure we've all heard this one before. I know though, you were framed, so save it. Have a nice day, and long proactive tenure on the forum.

:)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    People have posted several news articles for you. If you choose not to believe them, that is your choice.

Just because the law says it is fine, does not prevent an overzealous officer, or informed officer, from doing it his way. People on this very forum, have called the MD police department, and gotten wrong information about SB281. DC appears to be no different.

If you missed the part where your very own police chief provided firearms to Feinstein, then I don't know what to say. Your implication that all DC police are people of integrity, and well informed on DC law, have been proven to be untrue.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/9/miller-how-a-senator-got-her-guns-for-a-dc-show-an/?page=all

http://www.examiner.com/article/d-c-philly-police-provided-feinstein-arms-to-help-her-promote-her-gun-ban

To quote the Joker, "This town needs an enema."

I copy what your saying and apologize that I actually took the time to call the firearms registration section and had someone speak to a Sgt. Not to mention publicly provided all my information with the caveat that I would assist in any way possible since I am the provider of this info before even making my post about the law sections. I should have left answer his question up to the internet experts who occasionally read Emily's blog and the free subway newspaper.

I agree the OP should give up on Everything firearms related because who knows what could happen?

People like you are making this tiring and respond all you want but I'll leave the "real" advice up to you from now on.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could then answer the OPs question with actual sources so that I may be enlightened as to the answer because I'm nothing but a thin blue line loving, over zealous, slap, who's about as useful as snake ****.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I copy what your saying and apologize that I actually took the time to call the firearms registration section and had someone speak to a Sgt. Not to mention publicly provided all my information with the caveat that I would assist in any way possible since I am the provider of this info before even making my post about the law sections. I should have left answer his question up to the internet experts who occasionally read Emily's blog and the free subway newspaper.

I agree the OP should give up on Everything firearms related because who knows what could happen?

People like you are making this tiring and respond all you want but I'll leave the "real" advice up to you from now on.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could then answer the OPs question with actual sources so that I may be enlightened as to the answer because I'm nothing but a thin blue line loving, over zealous, slap, who's about as useful as snake ****.

I just hope we don't end up finding out your advice isn't as useful as that provided by shotgun Joe.

I am not saying you are wrong about the law. The point I have tried to make, and you seem to be in denial about, is that DC is rabidly anti firearm and anti-2a. I feel sorry for the sap that is busy quoting your posts on this forum while they are busting down his door and pulling his naked kid from the shower. But I get it, that is all sensationalism. :sad20:

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I just hope we don't end up finding out your advise isn't as useful as that provided by shotgun Joe.

I am not saying you are wrong about the law. The point I have tried to make, and you seem to be in denial about, is that DC is rabidly anti firearm and anti-2a. I feel sorry for the sap that is busy quoting your posts on this forum while they are busting down his door and pulling his naked kids from the shower. But I get it, that is all sensationalism. :sad20:

Please answer my last question as it's what the initial OP was about. The rest of your post is being ignored because I'm not going to sit here and argue WIH someone who's whole intent is to start an unnecessary argument........I must say your responses are painting you as a total douche.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Please answer my last question as it's what the initial OP was about. The rest of your post is being ignored because I'm not going to sit here and argue WIH someone who's whole intent is to start an unnecessary argument........I must say your responses are painting you as a total douche.

And your personal attack proves my point. Clearly you are above the rules.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56622

Personal attacks: This is a forum of and for adults. Personal attacks and throwing insults at other members is not acceptable. Everyone also has access to the "edit" and "delete" functions for their own posts, so losing your temper is not an excuse.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Smells like Chodewin's law in here.

emuha7a5.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    And your personal attack proves my point. Clearly you are above the rules.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56622

I know the forum rules and will clearly take whatever is tossed my way punishment wise.

You baiting and obxnious lack of anything useful in this thread drives me up a wall. I honestly wouldn't be mad if you had something law related that backs up what you say but you can't and won't produce anything. I wouldn't be mad if your proved me wrong because at least then I'd chalk it up to an educational experience. Instead your mosquito like behavior is severely under my skin because I'm actually attempting to help and your in your "throne of whining" providing zero substance.

And then on top of that you attack my motives and integrity with your BS thin blue line comment. You are an idiot plain and simple.

I question how you have made it this far in life with such lack of substance. Rich parents? Lottery winnings? Good luck? Clearly it's not education, charm, or the ability to be right.

Ok ok I've said it but this time I'm for real I'm out dealing with you is only going to make me dumber.

Rascal if you have updated info on reloading in DC please PM or email me so I can have the current proper info if what I previously posted is out of date as you say.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom