• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    So I do most of my reloading at a friends place in MD, but have been thinking about prepping and priming the brass in DC, is this actually illegal?

I have seen rumors about empty shells being "ammunition" in DC, but wanted to get the true legal take on this.

I would not have any bullets or powder on premises, all I would be doing is tumbling, depriming, and repriming the shells. No guns, no completed ammunition, nothing of the sort.

I realize the legality sounds to be very borderline and I will not do it unless I am sure its ok.

Thanks!

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    Official Answer - Consult an Attorney

My 2 cents - I recently heard that it is illegal to have components in a car while in DC, even spent brass casings. So even if you were able to resize and prep cases in your house, as soon as you put them in your car to transport them to MD you run the risk of violating DC laws.

jaybee

Ultimate Member

Attachments

• DSCN4569.jpg
      DSCN4569.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 398
    • DSCN6117.jpg
      DSCN6117.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 391

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC without a DC permit for a gun that uses the caliber you are reloading, you are breaking DC law.

Forget it. IMO

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    https://www.google.com/search?q=man...ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GPEA_en

read the news and then feel informed.........or like an idiot! its previously been discussed and we have never been told to arrest for this its actually the opposite.

BTW OP I called registration and no one picked up but i will find out for you.

The only time I personally know if this law every being used (and it actually wasn't even this law) was the man who was heading to SC for a civil war reanactment. He wandered onto the POTUS route which he shouldn't have been there in the first place and got arrested for some powder and some muskets. I thought it was kind of stupid but I do understand the thought process behind it. Imagine being the officer the let him go and then the president dies from a musket wound.......that was Capitol Police BTW and as stupid as I think it was he has a job to do (bring on the Nazi Comments)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    https://www.google.com/search?q=man...ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GPEA_en

read the news and then feel informed.........or like an idiot! its previously been discussed and we have never been told to arrest for this its actually the opposite.

BTW OP I called registration and no one picked up but i will find out for you.

The only time I personally know if this law every being used (and it actually wasn't even this law) was the man who was heading to SC for a civil war reanactment. He wandered onto the POTUS route which he shouldn't have been there in the first place and got arrested for some powder and some muskets. I thought it was kind of stupid but I do understand the thought process behind it. Imagine being the officer the let him go and then the president dies from a musket wound.......that was Capitol Police BTW and as stupid as I think it was he has a job to do (bring on the Nazi Comments)

Very easy to get lost in DC which may have been the case.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I do most of my reloading at a friends place in MD, but have been thinking about prepping and priming the brass in DC, is this actually illegal?

I have seen rumors about empty shells being "ammunition" in DC, but wanted to get the true legal take on this.

I would not have any bullets or powder on premises, all I would be doing is tumbling, depriming, and repriming the shells. No guns, no completed ammunition, nothing of the sort.

I realize the legality sounds to be very borderline and I will not do it unless I am sure its ok.

Thanks!

And Matt comes in for the win again

http://nssf.org/members/PDF/AmmunitionLaws-Data.pdf

see page 38

but handloading in D.C. is legal as long as your have a registered weapon with the type of ammo that you are handloading the D.C. Code is 72504.01. I called and spoke to Ofc. Brown who didn't know the answer but asked me to wait for a second while she spoke with her supervisor. She came back with that code, I then found the actual language of the law in the NSSF ammo laws database so OP you have all the resources that you need to make your own ammo.......enjoy!

-Matt

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I am well aware! My Grandfather was a DC policeman for most of his life. I grew up hearing stories of carrying FDR up back staircases in his wheelchair and the like.

DC is not an easy place to be an officer, thank you for your service!

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Were not all as bad as this board likes to think........hope you enjoy your ammo!!!!

Only some on this board. I'm not one of them! :D

I am well aware! My Grandfather was a DC policeman for most of his life. I grew up hearing stories of carrying FDR up back staircases in his wheelchair and the like.

Yes, I'd like to thank you for your service, too! :cool:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

Only some on this board. I'm not one of them! :D

Yes, I'd like to thank you for your service, too! :cool:

Appreciate the sentiments but no need. As someone who recently got into the joys of reloading and someone who has to work inside the confusing disaster that is D.C. Laws my job is to ensure shooters can use whatever laws they can to continue!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Were not all as bad as this board likes to think........hope you enjoy your ammo!!!!

Are you serious? :wtf:

Thanks!

So the law says, if his buddy travels down to DC with reloading supplies, to help him, he can be arrested if he does not have the license for THAT specific registered firearm / caliber. DC is beyond stupid. :sad20:

I have no issue with you mpdc4511. The DC laws are just plain stupid. :sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    would not have any bullets or powder on premises, all I would be doing is tumbling, depriming, and repriming the shells. No guns, no completed ammunition, nothing of the sort.
    He says no bullets are invovled. So it's not ammunition.

He's GTG.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    He says no bullets are invovled. So it's not ammunition.

He's GTG.

Please don't post unless you know what you are talking about -- you can get someone who (stupidly) relies on the internet for legal advice in trouble. What you said is wrong.

The relevant definition is:
    'Ammunition' means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom