• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Picked up another W. German P228 from Mr. Sykes today and it was almost like K St. at rush hour. Five other people were there going through the process.

The officers in the firearms registry section seemed a little overwhelmed with all the traffic -- but they were polite and efficient as usual.

DC has also started a new process of issuing a Firearms Registration Certificate photo id card that has "NOT A LICENSE TO CARRY A FIREARM" on it lol. Each pistol gets its own paper certificate and card.

Tried chatting with some of the other people going through the process and mentioned MDShooters as a great resource when I could.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Picked up another W. German P228 from Mr. Sykes today and it was almost like K St. at rush hour. Five other people were there going through the process.

The officers in the firearms registry section seemed a little overwhelmed with all the traffic -- but they were polite and efficient as usual.

DC has also started a new process of issuing a Firearms Registration Certificate photo id card that has "NOT A LICENSE TO CARRY A FIREARM" on it lol. Each pistol gets its own paper certificate and card.

Tried chatting with some of the other people going through the process and mentioned MDShooters as a great resource when I could.

You may consider getting a C&R so you can act as your own FFL and remove Sykes from the cost. Obviously with a C&R your options are more limited, but it is much easier.

Tell me more about this photo id card. Is it like a drivers license? Yeah, that will stop criminals.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    DC used to issue just a paper registration certificate that is supposed to be kept with the gun at all times -- especially if out of the house for any reason.

I was told they just started issuing these cards this week -- in addition to the paper certificate.

Those with just paper certificates will get the cards when their registration is up for renewal.

Front_zpsc7ed99fa.jpg
    Back_zps57dcc50c.jpg

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I only have pistols but I would assume any registered firearm would get one.
    Also, just like with the paper registration, you get a separate card for each firearm.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    At the firearms registration office on Indiana. You now get plastic and paper.

First floor...I think. I remember seeing it while MPDC HQ on business. Never seen a line there when I was there. I guess things have changed in a few months.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    First floor...I think. I remember seeing it while MPDC HQ on business. Never seen a line there when I was there. I guess things have changed in a few months.

Yeah, first floor. It's just inside the security station to the left. It's fun taking firearms there for registration and standing in line with the others waiting for their court hearings, etc. while holding a rifle in a case. The look on the guy's face running the x-ray machine was priceless when I put my M1 Garand through the machine.

I'm glad they're finally doing these cards, as it's easy for the registration certificates to get separated from each firearm when you're taking several to the range and switching cases or whatnot.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    LOL! They will know exactly where to come when the confiscation begins. At least you don't have to wait for over a month to take your gun home.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    It was crazy busy just before Christmas, but crickets immediately after the new year. Guess it picked up again.
    I can tell you from the numbers that they have registered just over 300 for 2013 as of this week.
    I dont think they got a very big bump this first quarter from Newtown because they were over 1200 in Sept 2012.

I'm glad they're finally doing these cards, as it's easy for the registration certificates to get separated from each firearm when you're taking several to the range and switching cases or whatnot.

Not to mention having it with you while you are looking for ammo. If you get stopped in your car in the district it is a violation not to have the registration even if you have just ammo in the car.

I had all of mine converted to cards. at first they will say no but they will give you physical cards for your older reg papers too you just need to insist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom