• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I saw there’s some other threads about ATV trails but my questions are a little different. Here’s my circumstances: I have a 4 year old turning 5 in September, a 3 year old turning 4 in september, a 2 year old turning 3 in February and a 1 month old daughter. My kids all like the ride on power wheels type toys, and are pretty solid with how they can operate them. I’ve decided I’d like to get the older 2 ATV’s (maybe as a Christmas present) but I’m not sure which one to get. So here’s my questions:

1) Which brand ATV and CC should I be looking at? I had them sit on the Polaris 50cc and it fit them good right NOW. But should I look for bigger so they can grow into it? And what about the Chinese knockoff ATV’s? Anyone know if they’re any good? I’ve seen very mixed reviews.

2) Is there anywhere my aged kids can ride? I don’t want anything crazy. But somewhere I can ride with them to putt around on some trails and get them out of the house doing something fun. Ideally it could be a trip somewhere driveable that we can make a couple day camping vacation out of it. Maybe do some fishing and god forbid shooting?

Any and all suggestions, opinions, and definitely experiences are very much appreciated!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have 5 kids, 30, 28, 26, 22 and 13.
    We have two ATV's and two dirt bikes. (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, and Yamaha)
    I think 4 & 5 is too young to start them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    According to the Guidelines jointly developed by the Motorcycle/ ATV industry trade group and the CPSC -

No riders under 10yo
    10-13yo - under 70cc
    14-15yo 70-90cc

You didn't specify which State you contemplated to ride , but Md law is min 12yo , and under 16yo must be accompanied by adult .

All that said , a bizillion 'yutes ride outside of those guidelines . And huge differences of size, strength, and maturity for a given age . If ATV's had been around back in the day , wouldn't have worked for me . At 15 I was 6'2" , 170lb . I would have needed a 70cc atv for each foot , like roller skates .

The reason I got out of atvs , was the lack of explicity legal places to ride one, other than my own property .

The Urban Youths don't care what's legal , just ride in big enough packs they're too difficult to sucuessfully get stopped by LE .

Rural and exurban people are probably reasonably near to a " Traditionally used , customary riding area " that has been used for decades by atv , and dirt bikes, and minibikes for decades . But are technically Trespassing. Again most never get cought . But occasionally will be complaints from nearby residents, or a local Sheriff, or Precinct Commander will get a wild hair to crack down . ( And straight citizens with trucks or tow vehicles to haul their ATVs are a lot easier to bust than urban 'yutes in the 'hoods, and care a lot more about the consequences.

And researching for this post , I made a disvovery . Md nowdays does Titles . Back in the day , I tried really hard to get a Title , but MVA flatly refused . No Titles possible for atv , or off road only motorcycle. If it wasn't possible to get tags and be driven on the street , no soup for you .

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I’ve read a lot on the debate of what age to allow a child to ride an ATV. My opinion is it depends on the child and the parents. With direct supervision, the throttle adjusted to the right setting for the maximum speed, and proper safety gear, I think mine would be fine.

My thought is power wheels pretty much suck. Not because I want, or would allow my children to go any faster than they’re capable of. But because they have plastic tires, batteries that die quick, and they break.

I’d start them off putting around the back yard 5mph or less, and with direct supervision. I’ve read some that come with remote killswitches so you can stop them if they’re doing something you don’t like.

I live in central Maryland, but if there was somewhere that would allow them at their age to go, I’d travel and make a vacation out of it. Again nothing crazy. I don’t need mountains to climb or anything like that. Just something to give a different look than the back yard, while enjoying some family time.

Thanks

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    would encourage you to start with dirt bikes vs atv's. people think they're infallible on atv's, and they're not. with dirt bikes, most have a healthy appreciation of their limitations.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    would encourage you to start with dirt bikes vs atv's. people think they're infallible on atv's, and they're not. with dirt bikes, most have a healthy appreciation of their limitations.

Good advice. Do they sell them with training wheels? They ride bikes, mostly without training wheels. But I’m sure two wheels with a motor would be a different story.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I have thought about this too. A middle ground, which I did, was an electric ATV by Razor. It's got rubber, inflateable tires and somewhat of a suspension, plus disc brakes. But, it is not to fast and the center of gravity is not too high.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I've got a 2.5 and a just about 4 year old, both of whom are thoroughly exhausting the capabilities (and fun) of a power wheels jeep and similar peg perego tractors. I've looked at this too, and done quite a bit of reading online on the subject. Some things I've found.

0 - it is not without risk. Such is life...

1 - Yes, given good supervision, and good safety equipment, it can be done safelty with very young kids.

2 - There is a pretty strong correlation between injury and ATV's. Thus the comments above regarding keeping kids on dirtbikes is well founded. ATV's give a false sense of security (no need to balance), hit a critical tipping point quickly, and are a lot heavier.

3 - There is a strong correlation between racing and injury. (I've seen an online comment that the owner of BUd's Creek would not even let his kids race) See next comment...

4 - There is a VERY strong correlation between injury and racing on tracks with jumps. Read around and you will see a lot of comments from parents that have their kids into racing that would really like to see the jumps eliminated.

Folks that get their kids into riding for fun and keep it just fun seems too love it and it provides for a great family times. The problem seems to come when Jr. or Missy see supercross on TV, and start building mound in the backyard to
    jump the house....

As far as bikes, the consensus seems to be start on a PW50 or CRF50 (FYI - I'm in the market for either used at a fair price - PM me if anyone has one).

As far as places to ride, Not much. Budd's creek has racing. There are a couple of harescramble clubs around (not sure if they would be a very good thing for kids). There's Rausch creek but you have to pay into a membership for the year. There's the stuff out in western md - DNR trails. The best looks like the 'coal trails' up in PA...

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I saw there’s some other threads about ATV trails but my questions are a little different. Here’s my circumstances: I have a 4 year old turning 5 in September, a 3 year old turning 4 in september, a 2 year old turning 3 in February and a 1 month old daughter. My kids all like the ride on power wheels type toys, and are pretty solid with how they can operate them. I’ve decided I’d like to get the older 2 ATV’s (maybe as a Christmas present) but I’m not sure which one to get. So here’s my questions:

1) Which brand ATV and CC should I be looking at? I had them sit on the Polaris 50cc and it fit them good right NOW. But should I look for bigger so they can grow into it? And what about the Chinese knockoff ATV’s? Anyone know if they’re any good? I’ve seen very mixed reviews.

2) Is there anywhere my aged kids can ride? I don’t want anything crazy. But somewhere I can ride with them to putt around on some trails and get them out of the house doing something fun. Ideally it could be a trip somewhere driveable that we can make a couple day camping vacation out of it. Maybe do some fishing and god forbid shooting?

Any and all suggestions, opinions, and definitely experiences are very much appreciated!

Please answer #2 before you even contemplate #1!!! RANT ON....I would hate to be calling the police on your kids as I'm trying to pay my respects to my late family members in Glen Haven Cemetery, as I have to do almost every time I'm there. Nothing like having some stupid @$$ screaming around the cemetery on their dirt bike/atv, especially in the early evening without any lights......If you don't have any place for them to legally ride them, don't buy them!!! RANT OFF.......

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If the kids can’t ride a bicycle unassisted yet then they’re not ready for the responsibility of a dirt bike, ATV or go-kart.

Seen too many broken bones on little kids whose parents think their raising the next Jeff Gordon, Travis Pastrana or one of the Force Girls

Don’t rush them, give ‘em time to grow.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Please answer #2 before you even contemplate #1!!! RANT ON....I would hate to be calling the police on your kids as I'm trying to pay my respects to my late family members in Glen Haven Cemetery, as I have to do almost every time I'm there. Nothing like having some stupid @$$ screaming around the cemetery on their dirt bike/atv, especially in the early evening without any lights......If you don't have any place for them to legally ride them, don't buy them!!! RANT OFF.......

Thanks for the rant. I would never take my kids somewhere not legal, hence why I asked the question. The answer to #1 is they could always ride around in my back yard.

For the other responses I agree. I’m not into racing, going fast, jumps, or any of that. Maybe there’s some confusion about what exactly I’m looking for. I want the same thrill of a power wheel except with a motor and better built. So there’s no recharge times, broken parts etc.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    The St. Johns Rock ORV trail that opened last year would be a great place to take beginner riders. I know the state also acquired a few thousand acres in Kitzmiller Md. also that , in time, will be connected to the St. Johns. Rock trail system. There is primitive camping available. or, in the near future, you could rent my one of my cabins and have a nice hot shower and a dry bed in the evening while riding St. johns Rock ( which is just off my property about 200 yards) Just sayin'...

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    The St. Johns Rock ORV trail that opened last year would be a great place to take beginner riders. I know the state also acquired a few thousand acres in Kitzmiller Md. also that , in time, will be connected to the St. Johns. Rock trail system. There is primitive camping available. or, in the near future, you could rent my one of my cabins and have a nice hot shower and a dry bed in the evening while riding St. johns Rock ( which is just off my property about 200 yards) Just sayin'...

Lucky! I wish I had that kind of property. That’s the plan for the future at least. Is there an age restriction on that trail?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The PA coal trails, mainly AOAA and Reading Anthracite are F-ing awesome and legal. For bikes or quads, around 5-6 is the age most around here start on 50s, then progress as their size and skills grow. There is a gigantic used market as kids ourgrow bikes, and parents want to sell them off to buy larger models, unless you really want new, and are willing to pay for it, get something used, in good shape. Have dealt with the chinese bikes and quads, parts are tough to find, they do work, but quality and design are poor, usually better off with a used Yamaha than a new chicom for about the same price, I would stick to the big 4 Japanese brands, only consider KTM/Husky if money is no object, and you want the best. Get them good gear, I set my 6YO up with a full Fox peewee kit, elbow/knee guards, gloves, chest protector, and helmet, they are a requirement IMO, and can prevent serious injuries, of course a knowledgeable coach keeps them riding within their skill level, and keeps it fun and safe.

I ride at AOAA, $25 a day / $175 a year, 6 and under are free. There are campgrounds there, and a few nearby, Knoebels Amusement park is only about 20 minutes away. I'm into dirt bikes more than quads, my 6YO rides a TTR50, great bike for around 5-8Years old, lots of training wheel kits for it, main difference over the PW50 is 3 speed clutchless trans, electric start, and controls are in the correct place (PW is 1 speed, no foot pedals, brakes on each handlebar like a bicycle). Start out on flat grass, and back off the throttle adjustment(TTR50 has a limiter screw). My 6yo boy took 3 times out for about an hour each to get the hang of it before taking off the training wheels, and allowing full throttle, then another hour or two on grass before handling light trails. The Honda CRF50 is kick start, almost the same cost, but has a lot more parts available for it. I started him out on a Razor dirt quad, bought it used for $50 + $50 for new batteries, it's not worth the $400 MSRP IMO, he could manage it when he was about 4yo. It's a step between a powerwheels and 50cc quad, still electric so they can ride it more places than gas, but far more capable than a powerwheels. There is probably around a year or two gap between the age a kid will outgrow 50cc minis and before they can get comfortable on a small 110-150cc trail bike like the TTR125, but most keep their kids on a 50 a little longer instead of buying another bike. With adult-rate springs my TTR125 is a blast for adults to ride too, so you don't physically outgrow something that size, but most move on to a full spec bike as your abilities outgrow it.

Some friends went the 4 wheeler route, most of the same still applies, stick to japan's big 4, used if you want to save money. It's a little easier for a growing kid to step up to a larger quad than a larger dirtbike, so some start out on 90-125cc small quads at around 5-6yo, and skip the 50cc minis, then step up to a full size around 12yo. With a bunch of kids looking to spend time offroad, you will probably want something like a 4 seat side-by side or an offroad capable jeep or truck to ride with them, tow them out, or let kids switch riding their bikes/quads. PA has some goofy rules for ATVs, and you should check with the offroad place to see what you need, PA requires ATVs to be registered / insured to ride most anywhere off of your property, and AOAA requires it. The state won't register dirt bikes, so no need for all that on 2 wheels.

Attachments

• 20180608_120556.jpg
      20180608_120556.jpg
      92.7 KB · Views: 72

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have raised three kids on bikes and have raced for over 30 years. I totally agree to start them on dirt bikes.

^^^ This. By far the safest and most competent riders start out on two wheels in the dirt. Learn to manage traction and balance, power and brakes, uneven and unstable terrain. And fall down a bunch at lower speeds wearing the proper safety apparel. Get it out of the way. Only two kinds of folks who ride: those who have, and those who will fall. It's a lot easier to ride safely if you already know where the limits of traction are.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    Lucky! I wish I had that kind of property. That’s the plan for the future at least. Is there an age restriction on that trail?

I don't believe there is an age restriction but I'm sure the young ones would have to be with an adult. There is a youth trail that wraps around the campgrounds out on the west end of the trail system.

More info on this trail system here: https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    ^^^ This. By far the safest and most competent riders start out on two wheels in the dirt. Learn to manage traction and balance, power and brakes, uneven and unstable terrain. And fall down a bunch at lower speeds wearing the proper safety apparel. Get it out of the way. Only two kinds of folks who ride: those who have, and those who will fall. It's a lot easier to ride safely if you already know where the limits of traction are.

Agreed. My issue with young riders on quads is this. On a dirt bike when they crash/fall over the bike usually just sticks in the ground and the kid goes rolling, no big deal at slower speeds.

On a quad , no matter what size, when the kid hits something, goes too far on off camber hills etc.. the kid rolls off the quad and then the quad rolls over the kid. Seen it happen many times with my stepson when he was young, that's why we sold the quad, bought a dirt bike and never looked back.

Trust me, This happens to all quad riders, young and old. I have raced for over 30 years and tried my hand at quad racing a few years back. One good crash on a quad was enough for me. If getting hucked off and slammed into the ground at 65mph on a downhill wasn't enough, the quad then commenced to drive my rear end into the ground like a 10 penny nail !!!
    ( sold it and bought a new KTM the next weekend when I could finally stand upright again )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom