• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Went fishing yesterday and was working the pylons at the Bay Bridge. Lots of "dinks" but nothing worth mentioning. Moved north a little to fish a few holes and still nothing worth mentioning so we reeled in and decided to go south of the bridge. As we were cruising, I saw the first fin and yelled "Dolphin!" to alert the kids... I should have said "Dolphins!!!!"

They came out of nowhere and were everywhere! The estimates of the adults on the boat were easily +100 and I would agree. They even put a show on for us. Followed them for about an hour and it made not catching any keeper fish worth the trip.

If I hadn't seen it I would have called shenanigans... I guess if the dolphins are up this way the other "finned" creatures will be too?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    We see them all the time in the bay. That's good news because it means bait fish are thriving.

The most amazed I've been is at Bethany when a whale came cruising by. I went to YouTube and apparantly it happens in that area all the time. This isn't my video but it is almost exactly what my son and I saw.

https://youtu.be/pEiEibbMM7U

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Never have seen dolphins in the bay in my 25+ years sailing here.

Of course, I rarely venture beneath the Bay Bridge so may be why.

Cool story!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never have seen dolphins in the bay in my 25+ years sailing here.

Of course, I rarely venture beneath the Bay Bridge so may be why.

Cool story!

They've been coming in there for the last few years. They are a scourge for the bay. As they work their way up the bay, they chase/scare all the decent stripers further north, leaving the middle/lower bay relatively fishless.

If you're seeing dolphin, time to move north.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    They've been coming in there for the last few years. They are a scourge for the bay. As they work their way up the bay, they chase/scare all the decent stripers further north, leaving the middle/lower bay relatively fishless.

Very interesting! After fishing, we went to my son's lax end-of-season party. Talked to a few guys who like to fish and they said "all" of the action was up north towards Pools Island and such. I knew that dolphins chase away the fish in their vicinity but didn't think they would push the fish for an entire area like the Bay... Good to know.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I guess i should have waited a little longer yesterday, that sounds like an awesome site. I was fishing under the north span when I heard the VHR announcement about dolphins. I didnt realize how many there were. Cool.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

True and we are fishing farther North because of them. I didn’t see them personally, but a few days ago, they were spotted off of Hart-Miller Island. I’m hoping they push more fish into the Patapsco River:)
    They are pretty common in the bay now. I saw a bunch in April off Chesapeake Beach in the spring. There was a dead one floating in front of that area in May. I called the DNR marine mammal people and gave them the Lat/Lon coordinates. My phone rang off the hook that morning from a number of agencies. They just wanted info, and weren’t going to retrieve it unless it ended up on a shoreline somewhere. I would hate to have hit that thing, it was probably 8-9’ long and 250 pounds.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Heard on 16 the announcement about pod in west river, didn’t think it was THAT many! Would have been a sight for sure.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've seen dolphins near St. Clement's island the past few years, but just a dozen or so through my binoculars. It must have been really fun to boat around with 100.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    True and we are fishing farther North because of them. I didn’t see them personally, but a few days ago, they were spotted off of Hart-Miller Island. I’m hoping they push more fish into the Patapsco River:)
    They are pretty common in the bay now. I saw a bunch in April off Chesapeake Beach in the spring. There was a dead one floating in front of that area in May. I called the DNR marine mammal people and gave them the Lat/Lon coordinates. My phone rang off the hook that morning from a number of agencies. They just wanted info, and weren’t going to retrieve it unless it ended up on a shoreline somewhere. I would hate to have hit that thing, it was probably 8-9’ long and 250 pounds.

Crabs gotta eat!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I saw them in the bay last Thursday when we were fishing near the bridge. I forgot to mention it on here.

Last week while surf fishing in Bethany there were more than I have ever seen. I am not sure but I think they were schooling up the baitfish rather than blues being that no-one seems to be catching any blues lately down there. I did catch a few croaker so they could have been meals for the dolphin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom