• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • egirl

Jul 7, 2017
    Hi everyone. We have several guns in our home and we're running out of space to keep them all here - and have kids in the home.

Does anyone know of any ranges or beefed up storage centers that would have REALLY safe storage for guns? I'm concerned that even keeping them in a gun locked cabinet at a public storage unit they might get stolen.

Suggestions please? Thanks!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Better off buying a gun safe. I would not trust a storage facility, way to easy just to cut through the wall.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sell off a couple cheap guns and upgrade to nice ones. Get a gun safe. Problem solved ;-)

unclebuck

Jan 26, 2013
    Horst & McCann in Bel Air advertises a storage service for members. I have not been to their range or used their storage service, so I do not know if that is a good option.

Keeping some firearms elsewhere seems like a good way to avoid losing *all* of your pre-2013 (non-replaceable while living in MD) purchases. Family or friends with more space willing to host a safe may be an option.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    My suggestion is to purchase a high quality gun safe and place it either in your house if you can figure out a good spot for it, or place the safe in the house of a close/trusted friend.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Long-term, it's going to be cheaper to just buy a safe, and probably sooner than later if we're talking about more than one gun. The numbers just don't work for off-site storage.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Long-term, it's going to be cheaper to just buy a safe, and probably sooner than later if we're talking about more than one gun. The numbers just don't work for off-site storage.
    I completely agree with this! Too bad that BJ's 24-gun fire safe is no longer $299...

rkouns2003

Jul 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    second safe, or even a stack on locker for an not so expensive option. I just bought my second safe from tractor supply after having the same issue

egirl

Jul 7, 2017
    Yes! Out of safe space and not sure where we'd fit another gun safe and who would carry it upstairs lol

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    How do you like that range?
    Went there once as they had a reasonable package deal with pistol rental, box of ammo, target, ear/eye pro (before I owned a firearm) and it was a good intro, the folks that work there were helpful, etc. However, if you bring your own firearms you have to buy their ammo exclusively. You can't shoot your own.

Once I had my own rifle I checked out other ranges and currently go to TMGN in Frederick. Highly recommend them, you can bring your own everything, and shoot up to .50 cal :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There's too many variables to simply answer you question. If you have your guns sitting in a closet, then a gun safe is a mandatory suggestion. If you have a gun safe and there are too many to fit anymore inside, then sell and buy an appropriately sized safe. As far as kids in the house, you must teach them to respect firearms regardless of where they are located. I've had firearms before I had kids. They were ALWAYS taught to respect the firearms and they knew from a very early age, that they were not toys. I never kept the firearms from the kids. If they wanted to see one, I took that as a teaching moment. Soon they knew all of the safety rules of firearms and they have taken that into adulthood.

I personally would never want my firearms stored anywhere else than my home. I would never want to give up control of them for an instant. If they are in my home, I know where they are and that they are being stored safely and properly. If you want to work with this situation, there are solutions to keep your firearms in your home. Teaching your family to respect firearms and to understand they are tools that if used recklessly, can cause harm. This is the most important thing.

Good luck to you and your family.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    There was a great thread (or discussion) not too long ago about safes versus "lockers".

I concur with the comments about off site storage. I see that a nonstarter based on cost over time and a variety of other risks.

Personally, I can attest to the availability of some damn fine "lockers" on the market that will provide great protection from "kids" (plus more risks) and still be uber affordable and moveable/portable. Mine is milspec and was purchased from a surplus dealer for a lot less than a safe.

Again, the prior thread on this had some great pros and cons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom