• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Fellow HMart in Ellicott city shopper here, it's nice to see how much people love Korean food :D

I take my friends to BonChon and Honey Pig every chance I get. Shin Chon is right there on 40 also and has great food.

Bon Chon is really expanding. There's a new one coming to crofton by the gold's gym. There also another one coming to canton near mission bbq/iron rooster.
    I. LOVE. BonChon. It's my happy place.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Their website shows stores in Wheaton and Gaithersburg, are they near you?

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Has the H-Mart opened in Frederick? I might go visit it if it has opened. Thanks.

Cal68

Not yet. More signage is up, and apparently they had advertised for hiring recently. I still see work trucks out front, but seem to be HVAC/Electrical and finishing type companies, so I'm hoping it's close to being done.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Thanks guys.

Their website shows stores in Wheaton and Gaithersburg, are they near you?

I will need to check the website to see where the Gaithersburg store is located. I've never been there.

Not yet. More signage is up, and apparently they had advertised for hiring recently. I still see work trucks out front, but seem to be HVAC/Electrical and finishing type companies, so I'm hoping it's close to being done.

Thanks for the update on the Frederick store. I hope it opens soon.

Cal68

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I will need to check the website to see where the Gaithersburg store is located. I've never been there.

Same complex as Trader Joe's, off Lost Knife Road. On the opposite side of the complex.

While we sometimes shop this location, my wife prefers the H Mart in Ellicott City. Bigger selection and possibly better prices.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hup234

Feb 15, 2017
    Is it the Korean grocery stores that organize aisles by products in alphabetical order? I swear, I was working in Lawrenceville, NJ awhile back and needed some filters for my drip coffeemaker. I went to the nearest 'grocery' store that GPS directed me and landed at an Asian market there. Pretty cool, actually, but the other patrons were looking at me like, "what the hell is he doing in here?" I figured filters would be near the coffee, like any other grocery store but I'll be damned if I could find them. I finally asked the lady behind the butcher counter, "Where are the coffee pot filters?" and she said, "Paper aisle!" OK, found the paper aisle...and there they were, right between the Kleenex and the Kotex! :D

That's hilarious. Wonder where they keep the condoms?

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Same complex as Trader Joe's, off Lost Knife Road. On the opposite side of the complex.

While we sometimes shop this location, my wife prefers the H Mart in Ellicott City. Bigger selection and possibly better prices.

Ah, that's why I have not noticed it before. I rarely go to Trader Joe's so no wonder I have not seen H-Mart. Thanks for the tip.

Cal68

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    All those with Korean wives say "AYE!".

All others don't qualify to comment. :P

Yay for no more monthly grocery trips!
    We used to go to Korean Korner before it got dirty, and before that the stinky Lotte? by the Tandy Leather store.
    West Falls Church or Annandale were always clean. Then Delicate City became the place.
    H-Marts are usually pretty clean, but I think Lotte usually has more stuff.
    Either way, no special trips for stuff and quick lunches of chige or yukgaejange are everyday events now.

That was back in the day when Koreans were mostly wives of service guys and there werent' stores everywhere. Now I think we have more Koreans living here than in S Korea. LOL

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I was in Seoul last month on a business trip and stayed at a hotel near the main train station (called Seoul Station). There was a Lotte Market next to the train station so I went to check it out one evening. I was expecting to see a Korean grocery store like the Lotte Plaza's over here but the Lotte Market was more like JC Penney/Macy's with a grocery store thrown in for good measure. It seemed more high end than the WalMart/Target stores out here that have both groceries and clothing, electronics and other "stuff". And it was packed full of shoppers. Every aisle in the grocery section had someone handing out free food/drink samples. I did not buy anything in the store, but it was quite the experience.

Cal68

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Glad I saw this thread.. I was wondering what an H mart was.. G mart was pretty awesome as I could get all of international goodies in one stop.. Pretty excited to see what H mart is about.

Also pretty disappointed that I am just now finding out that Frederick has a bonchon... Of all of the times that I have been in that shopping center, I have never taken notice.. All Frederick needs now is an iron age and I'll never have to go to MoCo again.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Glad I saw this thread.. I was wondering what an H mart was.. G mart was pretty awesome as I could get all of international goodies in one stop.. Pretty excited to see what H mart is about.

Oh Man! G-Mart was minor league next to H-Mart and Lotte.
    Lotte is the largest grocery store chain on the planet. Like the Samsung of food.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Cal, they also have a chain called Home Plus that takes it up a notch. Usually 4 floors with a upscale feel especially the newer ones.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Went to the Frederick H Mart today when I got off work. I got there right about 2PM and it was packed for that time of day! The whole parking lot was filled and there were tons of folks shopping in there. I was glad to see that they had a large food court. You order at the central cashier and they send the orders to the respective restaurants. Your number gets called and you go to the respective restaurant window to pick up your food. I had the Shoyu Ramen and it was delicious. The charsiu pork was perfectly marbled, flavorful, and melted in your mouth. Nice big slices of Eringi mushrooms, al-dente egg ramen noodles, crisp scallions, and roasted nori rounded out the toppings which went very well with the soy-based broth. Usually I have to travel to DC to get decent ramen, but this was pretty darn tasty!

They have a Chinese restaurant, Korean chicken restaurant, sushi bar, and tofu-centric restaurant to round out all of the stations in the food court along with the obligatory bakery and beauty/cosmetics store.

As for the grocery store itself. The produce section is large, but not as large as some other H-Marts. There's a good selection, but again, not quite as wide a variety as I've seen at others. The meat department and seafood departments really shine though! You can get all the pre-marinated stuff to make your life easy, or buy the slice or whole cuts as well. They had 4 packs of nice, thick ribeye steaks (8oz per steak, so smaller in area than you might be used to, but THICK and well marbled) for just $12! Nice looking filets, pork bellies, and NY strips as well. The seafood section is beautiful with live lobsters, crabs, fish, and even live abalone!

There's a huge banchan section in the back next to the meats, a massive case of different kinds of kimchi, a decent-sized cold noodle section (though again, not as big as some others I've seen) etc. etc. etc. Great store, very clean, great prices. Glad to finally have one in the area!

Pics of food court and my lunch attached.

Attachments

• 20170601_141044.jpg
      20170601_141044.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 119
    • 20170601_140623.jpg
      20170601_140623.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 116
    • 20170601_140620.jpg
      20170601_140620.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 121

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great review, tallen. Between what you've posted and the pics that DA was sending me yesterday, I think I need to get lunch there soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom