• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Pre-qualifications:. Must be willing to lift the bus we're going to throw you under when things get tough.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    I recently applied for the Frederick City department. Does these departments communicate with each other? I'd love to just be able to transfer all of my records from there instead of having to drive down to submit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I recently applied for the Frederick City department. Does these departments communicate with each other? I'd love to just be able to transfer all of my records from there instead of having to drive down to submit.
    Not a chance. You will need to start over again each time with each agency.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    :lol2:

No chance.

This.

OP they will ask you to list any other departments you have applied for as well as the name(s) of your background investigator if you've gone that far. If you have, I hope you were smart enough to keep a copy of the packet you submitted.

On the other hand, if you're bothered by having to "drive down" to submit your information how the eff do you think you're going to do in the academy if you do get selected? You either want it or you don't and your convenience isn't a concern for anybody you're applying to.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Their physical requirements aren't much

Most aren't initially but they'll still smoke your ass once you go to the academy. The PT test is pretty much just to determine that you're capable of surviving the first few days without stroking out and realistically they're minimum entrance standards. If you pass but still suck compared to other candidates, you may not get selected anyway.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    This.

OP they will ask you to list any other departments you have applied for as well as the name(s) of your background investigator if you've gone that far. If you have, I hope you were smart enough to keep a copy of the packet you submitted.

On the other hand, if you're bothered by having to "drive down" to submit your information how the eff do you think you're going to do in the academy if you do get selected? You either want it or you don't and your convenience isn't a concern for anybody you're applying to.

I have.

Considering the fact that I've been out of town to Fort Worth, Chicago, and NY constantly for work, it has nothing to do with laziness but availability. I don't have the luxury of being able to drive an hour or two each way every time they need a signature. The academy is different because that would be my main job. Thanks for the assumptions, though.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have.

Considering the fact that I've been out of town to Fort Worth, Chicago, and NY constantly for work, it has nothing to do with laziness but availability. I don't have the luxury of being able to drive an hour or two each way every time they need a signature. The academy is different because that would be my main job. Thanks for the assumptions, though.

It doesn't appear that you know how this employment system works.

You'd apply, get a date and time to take the physical/written test.

After passing (if) then you'll get your personal history packet which you'll complete and submit.

This will be reviewed and you'll meet with a background investigator and do your finger prints/brief interview.

They do their investigation.

You get contacted for your physical/polygraph and report for that. Then you wait to hear an academy start date.

Yes there are trips...no there aren't trips because you didn't sign something. At that point if it's not worth it to you just tell them you won't be down to continue the process.

There is no way to avoid making 3-5 trips at different times of this process before you even know if you'll into the academy.

A lot of hassle for 50k a year starting isn't it.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

After passing (if) then you'll get your personal history packet which you'll complete and submit.

This will be reviewed and you'll meet with a background investigator and do your finger prints/brief interview.

You get contacted for your physical/polygraph and report for that. Then you wait to hear an academy start date.

Yes there are trips...no there aren't trips because you didn't sign something. At that point if it's not worth it to you just tell them you won't be down to continue the process.

There is no way to avoid making 3-5 trips at different times of this process before you even know if you'll into the academy.

When I went through the process, I was out of state. The department arranged all my appointments for a single week. I slept on a buddy's couch, handled my appointments and went home a few days later. Then I sat by the mailbox.

Perhals they can make arrangements for you to apply in one swoop.

Our academies recently have had a few folks wanting to start their second career.

50k starts? OT... and is it the county who retires at 99% at 30 years?????

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016

That hasn't been my experience with the Frederick PD. I've had to make two trips out to sign/bring in paperwork that didn't include any of the things that were aforementioned. I'll have to do it again tomorrow because they keep requesting things as things progress.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    When I went through the process, I was out of state. The department arranged all my appointments for a single week. I slept on a buddy's couch, handled my appointments and went home a few days later. Then I sat by the mailbox.

Perhals they can make arrangements for you to apply in one swoop.

Our academies recently have had a few folks wanting to start their second career.

50k starts? OT... and is it the county who retires at 99% at 30 years?????

I'm not sure how accommodating they would be for an in-state application but never hurts to ask. It appears to be a fairly straight forward application process from checking on-line.

The starting pay, according to the link provided is 49k a year. I'm guessing that's base pay before any OT, night differential, shoe allowance, dry cleaning, holiday pay etc.

I found their retirement online. It's 60% at 25 years and 3% a year each year you go past 25. According to the pay scale in the same contract they top out at close to 100k at 29 years...or at least that's how I follow it.

so 30 years of service you wouldn't be at 99% according to my math.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have.

"Signatures" won't be an issue if you complete what they ask you to complete, the way they ask you to complete it, and submit it when they ask you to submit it so I'm not sure why you have the impression that you will be traveling down to submit a bunch of signatures.

You will have to go to complete all other steps and generally most agencies will work with you a little schedule wise on certain steps if it's for a legit reason such as work, however, understand that in a lot of cases you are being scrutinized even at that point. In other words -make it happen because in reality, nobody there gives a crap if you or any other candidate gets denied so do your best to appear reliable, eager, honest, and willing to do whatever needs to be done.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    I'm not sure how accommodating they would be for an in-state application but never hurts to ask. It appears to be a fairly straight forward application process from checking on-line.

The starting pay, according to the link provided is 49k a year. I'm guessing that's base pay before any OT, night differential, shoe allowance, dry cleaning, holiday pay etc.

I found their retirement online. It's 60% at 25 years and 3% a year each year you go past 25. According to the pay scale in the same contract they top out at close to 100k at 29 years...or at least that's how I follow it.

so 30 years of service you wouldn't be at 99% according to my math.

My issue is that I wasn't born here. I have to bring in paperwork from two different countries. Certain "flags" keep arising which I have to address as they come. My PHQ was a drop in the bucket compared to what I've had to compile for them. I don't mind doing it because I've been given windows of weeks to a month but I know these questions will pop up again for Baltimore and I'd love to just submit everything to avoid confusion down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom