• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Well I got the email last week asking if I wanted to switch to a service grade and I replied I would if they could put a sticky on for a USGI stock and she replied she would but no guarantees. Got the shipped email today and the e-store says serial number 2019xxx so that should be a Springfield made in November 1943. I'll post pics when I get it.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I decided not to post pics as I'm a little disappointed. It is a Garand and I'm happy with what I got but I got a new CMP stock with new metal, hra trigger group and a drc rear sight. I was hoping for a gi stock and either a lock bar sight or/and a milled trigger group. Now for the good, it is a WWII serial number receiver with no pitting & what looks to be original finish with a SA barrel dated 10/44 with a MR of 1+ and a throat of 2+. The op rod looks to be reparked or is new old stock and it is a SA type 7 I think with a part number d35382. I'll do a better tear down this weekend to clean and lube.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I decided not to post pics as I'm a little disappointed. It is a Garand and I'm happy with what I got but I got a new CMP stock with new metal, hra trigger group and a drc rear sight. I was hoping for a gi stock and either a lock bar sight or/and a milled trigger group. Now for the good, it is a WWII serial number receiver with no pitting & what looks to be original finish with a SA barrel dated 10/44 with a MR of 1+ and a throat of 2+. The op rod looks to be reparked or is new old stock and it is a SA type 7 I think with a part number d35382. I'll do a better tear down this weekend to clean and lube.

Although you did not win the lottery, I think you did well with a original finish receiver. Could have been a shitty park, and had crappy markings. Count your blessings. If you don't really like the new wood, I can see what I can offer in trade for your new wood/metal.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You actually did quite well. I understand the desire for gi wood but getting a 44 barrel in that shape is a win.

I have a few stocks laying around as well let me know what you are looking for.

Stu

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Orlando

I think you had to high expectations. You dont hardly ever hear of rifles coming with lockbar sights anymore. Service Grades almost always come with commercial wood.
    Not sure why you expected to get anything different. Did you ever read the grade description? You actually did very well from what you could have received and still been in the grade

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Yeah I know I did great on the receiver and barrel but I still had hope for the GI wood as from what I was reading on the CMP forum there was a good shot at getting that. I still knew that new wood was most likely and it will grow on me. As far as getting lockbar sight and a milled trigger group I also knew that was a very long shot! If I had to do it all over, I would still make the switch to service grade! I've been lucky with the other CMP Garands that I got.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just ask yourself "If I took that exact gun to a gun show tomorrow what could I sell it for?" That answer should make you happy.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I wouldn't pass judgement until I seen how it prints. My crappy looking field grade shoots a 1 inch group from prone and I cant see the receiver finish through the back-sight. An amazing glut of parts. Mess around with the stock to get it to shoot a little better if it needs it. You cant hurt it to badly or lose anything, and its fun. If you still do not like it, sell it for enough and then buy up some. Almost 6500 views for Field Grade M1's seems like there is a lot of interest in the old beaters.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Lets meet and you can try it for yourself, go back and look through for the pictures. Not once but twice, I think it was you who recommended better targets. I knew that would get somebodies attention. Anybody that is local to me I would be more than happy to let them have a go. We can make arrangements go to my farm or meet elsewhere but I have a nice place to shoot in Dorchester County. Some on here are probably closer than I think or not that far anyhow. I was on the western shore this morning but don't have to many personal contacts there with access. Well my buddy just got a place on Croom rd but hasn't built a range yet. If some one wants to go now Ill get it out. I'm not going to wait around all day its nice out and Im eating breakfast right now so Ill check the pm box when Im done.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Its been a while since I shot a match but I don't have to to know what my rifle will do. I didn't say I could do it match I'm not that good a competitor, but anybody that wants to meet and shoot some to check it out let me know. Like I said its an amazing glut of parts and I'm more than happy to share or meet some others in my area that would like to shoot or maybe check out they're own stuff at my range. We can shoot rifles shotguns pistols and Ill let the visitor choose to corroborate what I said or they can do it for them self, I don't think it would be that difficult with no time or pressure distraction. Maybe even the Guerrini guys will be there. They gave my son about 2500 shot-shells the other day mostly 28 and 410 gauge. Turkey will be starting soon though, so Ill be a little busy Ill be getting the gold then.

Orlando

Yes thats usually the response I get when someone says they can shoot 1 inch groups with their Garand
    I'm not trying to heckle you just trying to keep anyone from getting unrealistic expectations.
    A Garand that consistantly shoots 1 inch groups is not very realistic. A match built Garand with handloads in the hands of a experienced shooter yes, but not a standard Garand

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I got it and I know your experience and knowledge you been around a long time, believe me I never would have wrote that if I couldn't back it up. 20 after the rapids I bet it aint happening. Going to the farm getting a little trigger time relaxing between shots and then dropping a few in, it is. I was pretty disappointed when it arrived even after knowing full well it was going to be a beater I even bought another barrel expecting to swap it out with out even shooting it. Trigger lugs flattened out some, rear sight tension gone, great big nick in muzzle and stock all bashed up. Thats why I bought it just to work on,its just dumb luck because I have a whole lot more tied up in other things. I have bolt guns that wont do it from a bench let alone from the ground. I really would like for someone to see it though, its a pretty funny thing. Something I noticed though was that the front handgaurd had to be driven off with a wood block, its the only thing that was tight on the whole rifle. I had read in the past where "Orlando" had argued a valid point the same with handgaurd fitting with others who disagreed. I know who was right now. What fun for 630 dollars, wish you were closer to try it. Anybody that is, I mean it, pretty good stuff.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Although you did not win the lottery, I think you did well with a original finish receiver. Could have been a shitty park, and had crappy markings. Count your blessings. If you don't really like the new wood, I can see what I can offer in trade for your new wood/metal.

I might take you up if your interested in the new wood. What were you thinking of for a trade? Of course what I would like would be a GI walnut stock set and I've been thinking if I'm going to get a GI stock set it might as well be correct for the serial number which is a SA/GAW stock set in good condition which I know could be expensive. I will say this about my CMP set is the rear hand guard has a loose fit. The rear hand guard band is nice and tight on the barrel but the wood is loose around it. My other 2 Garands with GI wood those are tight with no looseness.
    One unique thing on my recent service grade that I didn't mention earlier is it looks to have a rack number on the left side of the receiver or something to that affect. Or maybe Jeff Gordon owned it at one time?

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
      IMG_0320.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 137

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I might take you up if your interested in the new wood. What were you thinking of for a trade? Of course what I would like would be a GI walnut stock set and I've been thinking if I'm going to get a GI stock set it might as well be correct for the serial number which is a SA/GAW stock set in good condition which I know could be expensive. I will say this about my CMP set is the rear hand guard has a loose fit. The rear hand guard band is nice and tight on the barrel but the wood is loose around it. My other 2 Garands with GI wood those are tight with no looseness.
    One unique thing on my recent service grade that I didn't mention earlier is it looks to have a rack number on the left side of the receiver or something to that affect. Or maybe Jeff Gordon owned it at one time?

Start hand rubbing in some BLO on that stock and you will get to like it better.:)

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Sorry for the late response but here is a picture of the Field Grade I received back in November. I still haven't got to shoot it yet but I've gone thru it and cleaned & greased it all up.

Well I finally took this Field Grade out today with 2 enblocs of HXP. 50 yards at CRESAP in Frederick from the bench. Other than some loading issues the M1 worked flawlessly.
    89c09c97a330603e57880099a7739689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom