• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi all- We are working with a group that is looking for a 0-3 years finance grad. Great role for new grads or finance majors who are not currently working in a financial role. Company is located in Annapolis and is offering a great work/life balance.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not to be rude but I thought a degree in Finance was a dead end. Have things changed that much in the last few years?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Not to be rude but I thought a degree in Finance was a dead end. Have things changed that much in the last few years?

I assume you mean because of the 2008 financial crisis. Yes, there were significant layoffs after that (I lost a job at a Hedge Fund that went out of business in 2009), but there are still plenty of jobs out there for people who are smart. That said, there has been a lot of automation introduced into the industry which has replaced some people, mostly in administrative jobs, IT, and sales. You also see less chop shop brokerage firms (a good thing), as online investment is here to stay. Mutual fund fees have shrunk in order to keep up with ETFs.

With passive investing taking the lion's share of available capital out there, active investment firms (Hedge Funds, Asset Managers, and etc..) are taking a hit, but I expect the needle to bounce back the other way at some point when active managers are able to start generating alpha again.

Looking around my company's parking lot, there are nothing but expensive cars. One of my analysts took his bonus and bought a new BMW, so even the lower level guys are doing ok.

I have both a Bachelors degree and a Masters degree in Finance and would probably have gone in another direction if I was able to do it all over again. Just remember that finance is not just low-life stock brokers like you see in the movies. Many of the best and brightest are in this field. I would guess that the Finance field offers the best odds of making 7 figures than any other field, but I have no data to back that up.

pbthee

Mar 9, 2016
    Finance Role

I'm interested. Are you still looking?

I have an MBA in Finance that I finished while soldiering and contracting in Afghanistan. I graduated with a 3.76. I'll finish a certificate in accounting from the University of Baltimore in May 2017.

I'm an extremely hard worker, and I absolutely love finance. I've just never gotten my foot in the finance industry door.

Best regards,
    Paul

Attachments

• Studying in Afghanistan small.jpg
      Studying in Afghanistan small.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 175

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    My company is a search form in accounting/finance. Don't normally post here because it's not Indeed/LinkedIn, etc. We were working a couple of entry level roles, this role and a role that requires a TS/SCI clearance. If this is not OK please take this down, just trying to help people break into a desirable field & had a common interest.

Finance people with strong quantitative skills are in high demand. These people are highly skilled in Excel and are using AI to help make decisions. Less salesy and more technical nowadays.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My company is a search form in accounting/finance. Don't normally post here because it's not Indeed/LinkedIn, etc. We were working a couple of entry level roles, this role and a role that requires a TS/SCI clearance. If this is not OK please take this down, just trying to help people break into a desirable field & had a common interest.

Finance people with strong quantitative skills are in high demand. These people are highly skilled in Excel and are using AI to help make decisions. Less salesy and more technical nowadays.

If it wasn't entry level I might be interested, assuming with required clearances it's DC/NOVA area?

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    If it wasn't entry level I might be interested, assuming with required clearances it's DC/NOVA area?

The cleared role is located in DC. They have some mid-level and sr. level roles, but the candidate would have to have PeopleSoft exp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom