• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    In addition to the revised law which was voted upon in April and goes into effect this summer, there's been a few other things going on in DC...many directly attributable to Emily Miller.

MILLER: D.C. folds in gun rights battle
    5/7/2012
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/may/7/miller-dc-folds-gun-rights-battle/

kwame_me.jpg

It isn't just about winning the battle in the courts or the legislature....
    :thumbsup:

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    emily is hot. and on a side note about time ppl in the district can start to defend themselves against the assholes in the area that take advantage of them!!

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    one more thing if a criminal knows a person is armed they will take second thought in harming a person. sometimes a little fear in a would be assailant goes a long way. and guess what no one was hurt in the process!!

Cowboy T

emily is hot. and on a side note about time ppl in the district can start to defend themselves against the assholes in the area that take advantage of them!!

She is also a rather nice person. She came by Sharpshooters in Lorton, VA to shoot, and she had a great time with it. Unfortunately, we believe that she did choose the wrong firearm for her size of hand, as the grip is far too large for her smaller hands. Worse, going through DC's registration process makes it kinda prohibitive (even with the recent changes) to purchase another handgun with grips more better sized to her hands. In Virginia, of course, this would be a simple and quick matter to remedy. She could've done a private sale for her current handgun and purchased either through an FFL or a private sale in 15 minutes or less.

Emily's right. The whole registration thing there is pointless and needs to go. There is no such registration requirement in Virginia, and NoVA, right across the river, probably has less crime per capita than DC. Well, except maybe for the "gun free zones". :rolleyes:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    You do to own a motorcycle in MD. You can't have a motorcycle registered in your name in MD if you don't have a motorcycle license.

False. Lots of people buy bikes, ride them, and even have insurance without an M endorsement.

Any motorcycle safety course that gives you the license at the end will be full if those guys.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't know what MD's schedule is, but they have been dinging renewals for quite a long time for lack of M endorsement.

I guess it will catch up with your friends eventually ... if a traffic stop doesn't first.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    This change is a bit of a scam from DC only to avoid another lawsuit. Replacing the training requirement with a video is the only real change. Emily definitely has done some good work.

The biggest hurdle, a five-hour training mandate, is gone.
    Hooray! That was without a doubt the biggest obstruction

application documents be notarized
    This was a onetime single form, but not a real obstacle

The 10-day waiting period will start from the date the gun is purchased,
    This has been the case for over a year. Before 2009 (I think it was 2009) there was no waiting period.

ballistics testing,
    That saves 30mins and $12. Yeah, I will not have to explain to them in excruciating detail why it is imperative to differentiate between a 9mm Luger and Makarov during ballistics testing my pistols. We also had the same exact conversation about .357 Sig and .357 Mag.

vision testing
    There never was a vision test. They check to see if you have a driver’s license which verifies the applicant is not legally blind.

the three-year reregistration
    This process has never been implemented so removing it is a lot about nothing.

Yes the biggest cost, expense and time waster was the face to face "training." But beyond that the other changes also make big differences in cost and time and trips to the office are massive between my first registration and my wife's recent first registration.

My wifes first registration last month involved one single trip. On my first registration they insisted on tend days between application and issuance even though the actually invoice date was already ten days past. Now they just want to see the weapon's invoice date.

The ballistics test for mine took a week to complete, not 30 minutes.
    The vision test was satisfied if you have a drivers license. I do, but lots of people don't. They would nto administer it there. You would have had to go to one of the now very few DMV's and waste a half a day.

And the three year re-registration is an issue. The documents don't just have three years in the fine print, they did and do even now right smack on the brand new cards all have a prominent expiry of specified date, three years from the registration. Discussions about what is relaxed or not, are not relevant with that. Without something in the code that you can print up and cite you are looking at a potential l weapons violation without re-registration after three years.

Also not mentioned they can no longer force you to provide a social, second proof of residence, and you no longer need to bring your own picture.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    steps in the right direction! They got rid of the training - something that should be mentioned to the MD legislature, along with other points in the article :-) DC is moving in the right direction, but MD is not!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    steps in the right direction! They got rid of the training - something that should be mentioned to the MD legislature, along with other points in the article :-) DC is moving in the right direction, but MD is not!
    Cost used to be over up to $500 in fees to bring in a handgun you owned form out of state. Now it is $38 first, $13 second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom