• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    The residents of Ward 8 are free to open their own shop, hire whomever they like, and sell whatever food they like. Laughable as I work in places like this occasionally and most there are not interested in finding work as evident by their appearance, demeanor, and attitude in gemeral.
    :thumbsup:

Whether he meant to say one thing and meant another, as a 'political' figure he should choose his words better. He's still a moron IMO.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    INMY01TA said:
    The residents of Ward 8 are free to open their own shop, hire whomever they like, and sell whatever food they like. Laughable as I work in places like this occasionally and most there are not interested in finding work as evident by their appearance, demeanor, and attitude in gemeral.

There are many socio-economic, societal patterning, and some psychological factors that go into this.

It's not just about being 'lazy' because trust me, I know a few people who are simply kept animals living in G-town and Great Falls and have the ambition of a tree sloth.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    iobidder said:
    I'm not sure that speaks for all residents that live there.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

A number of the older residents do, the younger generation (Gen X and >), his endearment isn't nearly as strong.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    clarkcondor said:
    how many times have these businesses been robbed, vandalized and threatened?

I would not know those stats, but then again I don't see how these would be germane to the topic.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    "We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops...they ought to go. I’m going to say that right now..."
    - Marion Barry

2c3f5ed9_447-oh-u-mad.jpeg

Smoked crack got his job back.

Can't have you around no Happy Meals, but you could be mayor!

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    csanc123 said:
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/education/2012/04/marion-barry-criticizes-hospitals-hiring-filipina-nurses/527206

Now Barry critizes hospital for hiring Filipina nurses. What a f'in racist douche....

It still boggles my mind that DC residents support this douche.

What was racist about that statement?
    There's a shortage of trained, qualified nurses in the city due in part to a lack of training and schooling facilities, so to fill the gap many city hospitals are sponsoring H1Bs to attract immigrant LNPs.

Yes, a number of them come from the Philippines but that's a statement of fact - not racist.

It was no different than the prime of the tech boom in the mid-90s - 2000s when tech companies were throwing money and H1B sponsorship at Indian coders and developers.
    It got so bad that qualified Americans were being overlooked for the non-executive staffing and developer positions because the companies were focusing their recruitment efforts so intensely (or myopically) in India.

Most pool management companies in this region, a number of the life guards contracted to monitor your pool are imported for the season from Eastern European countries (Romanian, Chezh, Poland).

Would it make it racist if I said, "No offense, but we should be training our youth to occupy these summer positions give the deft of jobs available for the youth."

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    clarkcondor said:
    Wrong again - US grads choose not to work in some hospitals. Should the hospital close up and leave the area also? Just like FMGs are accepted to fill training slots in certain hospitals since US grads choose to work elsewhere.
    FYI:
    Greater SouthEast hospital was closed years ago. There is no hospital that serves SE and Eastern NE. Not a teaching hospital, not a general hospital. Nothing.

As it stands EMS has to try to make a boulderdash to Howard or WHC, a 22-25 minute trip IF you don't get snarled in traffic.

Barry was referring to his time at Washington Hospital Center, one of the top facilities in the region. My Aunt, who is a doctor, did part of her residency there and at DCCH next door. Rest assured, you're not going to find many LNPs or Grads of any practice or specialization that are going to pass over WHC if there is a position there to be filled - especially so if they're local.

Usually the best qualified are considered regardless of where. Ever hear of the brain drain effect for these other countries.

Perhaps one should honestly disclose all of one's conflicts of interest. Trolls included.

DFNTT
    Ok, let's establish something. Perhaps before one should endeavor to feint that someone else is a "troll", I would hope that person is more informed about the particular topic up for discussion than the person whom which they are calling a troll.

If you do not agree with me, you reserve that opinion and right. But I'm far from a troll.

To your comment on "companies higher the best qualified" - is it best qualified or lowest cost? Remember I said non-director, staffer positions. The common industry colloquialism was 'code monkey.'

Companies recruited heavily in India because even with an equally qualified US candidate in front of them, they could bring an Indian here on H1B, slot them in a Fair Labor Standards Act exempt classification positions (no O/T), and then pay them 30-35% less than their US counterparts or market rate (typical entry level dev position paid $60-80K back then) under the guise that the company is sponsoring the H1B (which for the company only amounted $2,000 in filing fees and assorted GS&A costs) and this is compensation for the difference.

Also, the employer did not have to pay federal unemployment insurance tax (payroll tax) on these workers because under the temporary work visa system, if the job ends - you go home. You're not entitled to unemployment.

Any astute person can see what a sweet deal this was for companies. But I said myopic for a reason, the brain drain you spoke of actually happened in REVERSE when the bubble burst. Some stayed under student visas, got MBAs, MAs, PhDs and then went back to India to start companies offering these services.

Now most coding work - the backhaul and heavy back development & testing is outsourced to India. Unfortunately, these are the entry level - cut your teeth positions that we need here in America for the next generation of engineers and developers to germinate and grow a robust field of labor right here in Maryland vs Mumbai. Kansas vs Kampoor. DC vs Darjeeling.

But not to stray too far off the original topic, I do not have financial figures or BER reports at hand to see what the mean avg LPN in this region is paid, but I would not be surprised if the H1B scenario mentioned earlier is in play - which is what Barry is partially alluding to.

And again to reiterate, be it far from me to say I am a Barry supporter, but I try not to let the message deliver cloud what the message is - sometimes irrespective of their poor choice of verbiage and am certainly lax to pull the 'race card' or label something as 'racist' unless truly demonstrable, patterned, and evident as such.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    BlackBart said:
    But EXTREMELY accurate. Just the cold hard facts.

Facetious and fact are two very different things.

What you said prior was facetious, but extremely accurate fact it is not.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Facetious and fact are two very different things.

What you said prior was facetious, but extremely accurate fact it is not.

Are you quoting defunct posts, or somehow deleting the number that points back to the redirect?

FWIW, I have it on good authority that area nurses are paid ~$35/hr for ER with an RN and a few years experience. This is in southern MoCo.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Are you quoting defunct posts, or somehow deleting the number that points back to the redirect?

FWIW, I have it on good authority that area nurses are paid ~$35/hr for ER with an RN and a few years experience. This is in southern MoCo.

I don't know. I was using my mobile browser.
    Perhaps it is the way Forum Runner renders the quote tags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom