when buying online, what pictures have the most impact?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    When you buy or are looking to buy a used rifle online, what pictures do you think provide the best insight into the quality of the firearm? I'm thinking the action (open), receiver (both sides), muzzle, rifling if possible, and an overall picture of the rifle from both sides would be the most important. also stock quality if that is a concern. thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Last edited:

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Any pics that are clear, show pertinent details, and are taken with good lighting. Include close-ups of the areas you mention as well as any markings/numbers. Fuzzy and/or dark pics or having only distant pics make me scroll right on by.

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    Anything that casts a shady on any of the major parts like the action, breech, etc is a no go for me. I personally like to be able to zoom in and ensure there’s no cracks or anything. It’s also nice if they’re clear enough to see any imperfections, but then again, not everyone cares about cosmetics as much as I do.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Clear pictures are key. If you have clear pictures you can see hairline cracks near the wrist of a long gun. Clear pictures can also show rust freckling starting. Hard to use a picture though for color issues (color of stock, e.g. is it an original 'red' Winchester stock, is the bluing turning plum, etc). Well SOME of these can be seen, but just because you don't see them doesn't eliminate the issue. Cameras and particularly monitors are not usually calibrated so colors can be way off. A look down the barrel is always good, however, a good picture through the barrel is not an easy thing to get a clear image. Just because the barrel doesn't appear bright and shiny doesn't mean it isn't, might just be due to poor lighting.
    My advice, ask for specific pictures before bidding if you have questions and wait for the seller to respond. Otherwise, it's on you and all you can do is hope someone outbids you.
    I have purchased a few rifles and shotguns and a pistol or two over the internet and usually I get exactly what was offered or at times something even better than expected but take your time and ask questions!

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    Clear pictures are key. If you have clear pictures you can see hairline cracks near the wrist of a long gun. Clear pictures can also show rust freckling starting. Hard to use a picture though for color issues (color of stock, e.g. is it an original 'red' Winchester stock, is the bluing turning plum, etc). Well SOME of these can be seen, but just because you don't see them doesn't eliminate the issue. Cameras and particularly monitors are not usually calibrated so colors can be way off. A look down the barrel is always good, however, a good picture through the barrel is not an easy thing to get a clear image. Just because the barrel doesn't appear bright and shiny doesn't mean it isn't, might just be due to poor lighting.
    My advise, ask for specific pictures before bidding if you have questions and wait for the seller to respond. Otherwise, it's on you and all you can do is hope someone outbids you.
    I have purchased a few rifles and shotguns and a pistol or two over the internet and usually I get exactly what was offered or at times something even better than expected but take your time and ask questions!

The rust thing is my biggest issue. I was talking to a guy on another site arranging to buy a model 94. Beautiful gun in the pictures, but closer inspection showed it had a shit load of rust on it. I almost felt bad, but in the end I’m not going to buy something I feel someone was being deceiving about.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    1. Photograph it against a red background if it is a blued rifle. This is the best way to show the color and condition of the bluing. Otherwise the bluing could appear worn or discolored.
    2. Have at least one picture of the whole rifle. This sounds like a nobrainer but people will post a bizillion shots of the same rifle in intimate details and not one of the whole thing. I get it, it is an awkward image to get detail, long and skinny but I want to see at least one.
    3. Be honest and show closeups of any boo-boos or at least describe them if they don't show up well (like small dents).
    4. No feet. I can't count the number of people who have made this mistake. You need at least one foot, preferably two in your image.

bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    1. Photograph it against a red background if it is a blued rifle. This is the best way to show the color and condition of the bluing. Otherwise the bluing could appear worn or discolored.
    2. Have at least one picture of the whole rifle. This sounds like a nobrainer but people will post a bizillion shots of the same rifle in intimate details and not one of the whole thing. I get it, it is an awkward image to get detail, long and skinny but I want to see at least one.
    3. Be honest and show closeups of any boo-boos or at least describe them if they don't show up well (like small dents).
    4. No feet. I can't count the number of people who have made this mistake. You need at least one foot, preferably two in your image.

I think it is a great point that you bring up the background color. I was looking at buying a rifle and the pictures shown of the rifle all use a camo background. Certainly not the easiest way to showcase the detail in a rifle when it blends in with the background.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If the firearm is not photographed on a gray blanket, I know it's of inferior quality.

And the seller has to say the firearm is from an "Estate Auction". The newest and most used line of crap on GB.

And the firearm must have pitina or putina or panteena. The most misunderstood term and misspelled word on GB. Rust and Grime is not Patina.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Photos of dings and scratches as showing them upfront makes me feel the seller is honest.
    No "Vet Return" without paperwork. Nope, it's a pre-'68 import without paperwork.
    The quality of photos of bikini girls. Pro model without tattoos - A+, Your fat redneck sister all inked up - not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom