• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Just wondering if it’s legal to own/use anything over 10 rounds for handgun magazine capacity? I know it’s ok to have 30 round mags for rifles, but I’ve never seen any info regarding handguns. Thanks for any info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Thank you. I wish I could say it only makes sense to be the same, but I learn more by the day how weird MD laws are. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I'm pretty sure he bought it in PA

Doesn't matter, if the rifle was sold "with" the mag it is still illegal. If it was purchased separately in PA then it would be legal.

But since it was in MD it is illegal, unless they are both FFL's, which they are not.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    THANKS!!
    I will take it back to the dealer, maybe he can buy it back from me, since he is an FFL, or
    Would it be legal for me to convert the mag to hold only 10 rounds, I really don't care if it holds 10 or 15.
    THANKS, and sorry for all the attention on someone else's thread
    I don't think that will solve the problem. It would be illegal for any dealer in MD to buy it from you. As suggested, you have to take the mag out of state.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't think that will solve the problem. It would be illegal for any dealer in MD to buy it from you. As suggested, you have to take the mag out of state.

Correct, pretty sure it remains illegal for a non-FFL to sell (or even offer to sell) 10+ mags to anyone, regardless of the buyer's status.

Does anyone know if there is an exception for LEO's to sell to FFL's or to other LEO's?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Yes, FFLs can sell to LEO, I think they might need some "official" document from the department though. And, any FFL can purchase any standard capacity mag in MD from anyone. Said mag would then have to either be sold in another state, or mutilated to 10 rounds for sale in MD.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, FFLs can sell to LEO, I think they might need some "official" document from the department though. And, any FFL can purchase any standard capacity mag in MD from anyone. Said mag would then have to either be sold in another state, or mutilated to 10 rounds for sale in MD.

But "anyone" may not sell TO THE FFL; not even OFFER TO SELL.

I know LEO's are exempted to purchase, but that does not automatically exempt them to sell.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    OK, I'll pose this question then, If a Md. resident owns a "normal" capacity handgun magazine that was purchased before the 10 rd law went into effect but now wants to sell it The firearm w/Mags). Can that person take it to a Md. FFL who can then legally modify it to 10rds and offer it for sale in Maryland ? Would not this be an illegal "transfer" by the gun owner ? I have been told different things by different FFLs and believe it is another "grey area".

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It doesn't matter if it were a rifle, handgun, shotgun, or other, +10 mag transfers are a no go in MD.

I'd "go" to PA/DE/VA and sell it (the mag) to a friend, and then buy it back. It would make it legal in the current sense.

Personally I'd end this conversation now and delete your comments. I'm also not aware of anyone being arrested/charged over this, but who wants to be the first?

IANAL.

Maybe you could help him with that by editing out your quotation in post#5 :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom