• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    W&C = Carry permit <> HQl

the hunter safety course will exempt you from the training requirement... for the HQL, not W&C

My mistake. I applied for both at about the same time. I just remembered that I was exempt for both due o military service.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is another thing that`s been on my mind. IF I am approved, the initial permit is only for two years, correct? So I`d only be looking at about 18 months or so of freedom before I`d have to get the ball rolling on renewal.

You can send your renewal in as close as 30 days before the expiration of your permit.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’ve probably mentioned this before, but my W&C instructor made a dubious claim that you have to qualify with either a pistol or revolver, and carry the class of handgun you qualified with. I haven’t come across anything formal that confirms what I suspect is another manifestation of BGOS.

He would be entirely incorrect.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    But, you’re still on the hook for the 16 hours of class time, and the 8 hours on renewal, right? I don’t think hunter safety gets you around that for W&C.

Correct, unless you have one of the exemptions from the W&C training.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I will probably use a similar approach. At this point it would be the truth anyway. I`m exempt from the training, but my main home defense gun is an xd in .45. It`s the one I shoot the most, but just feels a bit too bulky for CC. Im on the fence between a glock 19 or a revolver in .357. Then again, I may just get both.

Best advice I could give you is to get one of those cheap "universal" holsters and carry a variety of sidearms around all day until you figure out what fits your body type and carry situations. That super cool .45 is super cool but it might be a chunky monkey and gets heavy quick after 14+ hrs a day.

Trust me when I say that the Baby Glock 26 is a very popular EDC for a variety of reasons.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How onerous is it to demonstrate G&S for renewals? Does the process basically start over? Packet, reference interviews, in person interview, etc?

Same package but updated with recent deposit slips, invoices, etc... if applying as a business owner. No in person interview and your references are not called.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Same package but updated with recent deposit slips, invoices, etc... if applying as a business owner. No in person interview and your references are not called.

So, how much routine experience is there, now, with re-submitting that (updated with current records) original package once a permit holder has subsequently had their restrictions lifted? Should the renewal application, or a cover letter accompanying it, include references to the HPRB's action to lift restrictions? Should the argument for those removed restrictions be baked into the renewal application? I wonder if there's even a success/failure pattern yet, given the relative new-ness of so many restrictions being lifted.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, how much routine experience is there, now, with re-submitting that (updated with current records) original package once a permit holder has subsequently had their restrictions lifted? Should the renewal application, or a cover letter accompanying it, include references to the HPRB's action to lift restrictions? Should the argument for those removed restrictions be baked into the renewal application? I wonder if there's even a success/failure pattern yet, given the relative new-ness of so many restrictions being lifted.

There hasn't been that much experience (yet) of those that have had their restrictions lifted, renewing their permit. BUT, MSP has stated that upon renewal, they WILL NOT renew the unrestricted restrictions and, instead, re-apply the restrictions of the prior permit before the restriction were lifted.

I would say that it can't hurt to add a copy of the letter the overturned MSP, as that can be used in both the HPRB hearing and any further hearings after that.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    There hasn't been that much experience (yet) of those that have had their restrictions lifted, renewing their permit. BUT, MSP has stated that upon renewal, they WILL NOT renew the unrestricted restrictions and, instead, re-apply the restrictions of the prior permit before the restriction were lifted.

I would say that it can't hurt to add a copy of the letter the overturned MSP, as that can be used in both the HPRB hearing and any further hearings after that.

I renewed last summer and received the same unrestricted permit that was expiring.

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    I’ve probably mentioned this before, but my W&C instructor made a dubious claim that you have to qualify with either a pistol or revolver, and carry the class of handgun you qualified with. I haven’t come across anything formal that confirms what I suspect is another manifestation of BGOS.

My INVESTIGATOR was confused about this as well during my in-person interview back a few years ago. As I had qualified with a revolver initially, after they asked me what kind of firearm I intended to carry and I mentioned a single-stack 9mm and 380, they said "well you qualified with a revolver so I think you'll only be able to carry revolvers unless you re-qualify with a pistol." I simply told her I believed her to be mistaken and that was the last I heard anything about it, but it's sad that this idea keeps popping up, because it means that this folklore extends to within the ranks of the MSP LD, not just the members of the public that suffer from BGOS

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    My investigator asked as well, but when I responded with a list of my possible carry guns he just said he'd write down "9mm" and leave it at that. He made it seem like a formality on his form and nothing else. It never came up again at subsequent reviews and/or HPRB hearings.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I think they ask to save time.

MSP "What kind of weapon do you plan on carrying? "

'Answer' Ruger PC 9.

MSP "Oh, your good. You don't need a carry permit to carry that"

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    G&amp;S criteria met?

I had only one question regarding anything beyond what was on my application. It was leading and probably a common trap. ‘why do you want a permit’. I answered something about in q 23 demonstrates a perceived threat, assumed risk and self defense- it’s all in there lol. Then a few questions about average deposit amounts, frequency and a pbj from 30 years ago. I politely stated all the info on my application was current and unchanged with no further elaboration. He said I just need you to tell me so I can confirm. I had a copy of my app glanced it over and said I can confirm it’s thousands regularly at odd times etc , nothing has changed. The only other exchange was when he asked for articles of incorporation and I had to explain twice what a sole proprietorship was. Then asked if I had a business license and explained was not required by Maryland law for my work. He seemed perplexed by this. I did reiterate that in my application there was proof of a FEIN, schedule C and My business ‘registration’ with the state.

One more thing of note which I thought was strange when he called to make the appointment he asked me to have my references contact him prior to my interview which was 2 days later.

I’m my mind the Trooper either didn’t like me, hated his job or just wanted to remain completely professional. There was no conversation even after I complimented his haircut, which is the same as mine- bald guy joke. I respect when someone just has a job to do so no biggie. Hope this helps someone else with their process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Then asked if I had a business license and explained was not required by Maryland law for my work. He seemed perplexed by this.

Yeah, I had to clarify that, as well. Sell hot dogs? All sorts of paperwork involved? Perform certain flavors of professional or creative services? MD (of all places!) doesn't require a license. Still, as long as you can show a paper trail on the tax side, it shows you're not just running a hobby. In my case, no incorporation, but there are LLCs. That wan't enough! Had to produce "good standing" from SDAT and bits and pieces of personal returns showing that the income flowed to me. It all went fine, but they definitely put me through it.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

That is a completely inaccurate statement. I'm a W&C instructor.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    One other thing that may be of interest I forgot about was a call a few days after my interview. I was asked the date of my training and I responded by saying it was on my paperwork but didn’t have it with bme and but was there an issue? He said I was beyond 2 years. I politely told him that it was within 2 years of submitting as per the instructions on the website. In fact It it just a couple days before 2 years expired when I mailed in postmarked and received. This is what got my ass in gear and the threat of HPRB being disbanded. The trooper gave me the oh well if that what you are standing on good luck. Made me nervous but received permit with no further issues, unless you call restrictions issues.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Well....the hunter safety course will exempt you from the training requirement and it only requires you to shoot one round from a long gun. My class had a choice between a 20 gauge and a .22. Zero bearing on one's ability to effectively use any handgun.
    Hunters safety has nothing to do with W&C training. If and when you renew you must take an 8 hour renewal class each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom