• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    they didn't know that a child was in the car - they knew that a crazy woman had essentially run down a ss officer at the whitehouse gate.
    OK, I hadn't seen that confirmed until the next day. The initial reports were all over the place even that the driver fired shots.
    I'm pretty sure that the things of movie legend are not taught to police officers.
    That's what I thought about the firing at the speeding away car from a distance... The reality of that stopping the vehicle seemed unrealistic (like a movie)
    Lots of comments like that on all the news articles I've read. I think TxAggie hit it pretty squarely above.
    Every time I hear someone say that cops should "shoot the tires out" or "shoot them in the leg" I want to punch that person in the throat.
    Since I posted a question before your post does that mean you want to punch me in the throat?:
    Do police shoot out tires? If so I wonder why they didn't consider that during the time the vehicle was stopped, knowing she had already fled.
    I understand now (reading a little) there is a risk shooting downward towards the pavement and/or metal of the vehicle. I was asking because there were 5 police in the video right next to the car and I wasn't thinking about the danger, but my thought was shooting the tires of a stationary car (if that worked) from point blank range would be more practical what they did firing at the vehicle in general from a distance as it sped away.
    I would think shooting out the tires of a moving vehicle is just as ineffective as was firing at the vehicle in general - something we know didn't work.

If people mock those that suggest "shooting out the tires" as ridiculous, then my question is for the officers firing at the speeding away vehicle from a distance: What were they aiming at and what were they trying to accomplish that is less ridiculous than trying to "shoot out the tires"? seems like 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    The other issue with "shooting the tires out", and this is no knock on our LEO friends on this board or otherwise, but most people, them included, in the heat of the moment can't shoot that accurately. Never mind the fact that steel banded rubber moving at 10,000 rpm will just deflect the bullet off of the tire. Pretty sure Myth Busters did one on this.

I think everyone reacted superbly as they were trained to do. Stopped the threat. Done

Phil I Am

Sep 16, 2009
    Loudoun County, Virginia.
    The other issue with "shooting the tires out", and this is no knock on our LEO friends on this board or otherwise, but most people, them included, in the heat of the moment can't shoot that accurately. Never mind the fact that steel banded rubber moving at 10,000 rpm will just deflect the bullet off of the tire. Pretty sure Myth Busters did one on this.

I think everyone reacted superbly as they were trained to do. Stopped the threat. Done

To bad those roadbed spikes aren't installed every 100 yards or so of PA Ave around WH and Capital bldg this won't be the last time LEO will need to stop a car quickly.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    WND at it again. Claiming that because she wasn't mental and apparently shot in the back of the head then it must be a conspiracy.
    http://mobile.wnd.com/2014/04/new-revelations-about-mom-killed-by-capitol-cops/

So the lady was naturally unable to follow instruction, since the toxicology said nothing was in her system?

WND needs to go somewhere. They're of no help at all. Nearly Infowars bad.

True...

However, the article will raise doubts on the level of force applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom