Decent dirtbike trails with camping nearby in md?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I second thumper talk, lots of mods to your bike can be found on there. Here's mine

20160731_164656.jpg

It's for sale to!

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    both good machines. some of it depends on your intended use. the dr has more suspension travel and offers a 400cc balance between weight and power. but if your off road time is more like fire roads than technical stuff you don't have to worry about that and a klr650 or even a versys or vstrom would likely be fine.

80's overhead valve 250's put out about 17hp, modern overhead cam 250's put out about 25. the overhead cam ones have no problem hitting 90mph and maintaining speed on inclines. I've got a modern overhead valve (90's Honda tech) that tops out about 65-70)

never heard of it, will have to keep it in mind as it sounds like a good time.

modern day yz250f are putting out 40hp from the factory

MailBackwards

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2017
    Baltimore County
    I'd check out AOAA and Rock Run, both places I've ridden at and are located in PA.

AOAA to me was mostly light trail with some more challenging areas but nothing hard. There is also a state park near AOAA that has campgrounds, I can't speak on how they are as I've never camped at them. Driving time to AOAA is 2.5 hours from Baltimore and a little over 3 hours from D.C. Great spot for new riders. Port-a-potties at staging area, welcome center has bathroom also. Website: http://www.aoaatrails.com/

Rock Run is more scenic than AOAA and has a larger variety of trails and terrain. You start out on the hard pack main road and can jump on a trail that turns into rocky hills and mud, or rocky open flat trail. If you enjoy hill climbs they have a trail called "Rock Den" that is a 50-foot hill made of loose shale that will make your hole pucker from the lack of traction. Rock Run also has on-site camping, there are 3 camping areas. Area one is for RVs and toy haulers, that spot is on a hill near the welcome center. Area two is called Locust Grove, this is where I've always stayed when going with my cousin. Locust Grove is a wooded cut out that consists of 8 or 9 spots, we always tent camp there but see toy haulers and RVs also. Spots are secluded and offer some privacy. Area three is a large open spot that has probably 20 spots, small campers and tents are all I've ever seen there. Not much privacy and close together spots. A little more than a 3-hour drive from Baltimore, about 3.5 hours from D.C. All camp areas have nearby port-a-potties, welcome center has bathrooms with running water. Website: https://www.rockrunrecreation.com/

cc9e7zr.jpg

This was taken at Rock Run

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    modern day yz250f are putting out 40hp from the factory

true, I tend to keep my head mostly in the street legal lines (which happens to be what the OP was asking about), of which 39hp is the norm for 300-400cc bikes.

the wr250 and xt250 are yamaha's dual sport options with 11.8:1 or 9.5:1 compression rations respectively instead of the yz250's 13.5:1 compression.

63417729921229391110_dualsport_hp.jpg

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    to the OP, if you are more interested in adventure riding than technical dirt bike riding, then you can also look into the new Kawasaki x300 versys. it uses the ninja 300 drivetrain cammed for more torque. puts out 40hp, slipper clutch, and pretty good reviews so far for comfort and performance. only issue is that new bike cost.

or if on a budget but wanting brand new there is also https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/BIKES-s/100.htm
    I've got both a Kawasaki versys 650 and a CSC zongshen TT250.

used market I think the drz400 is a best value for capable offroader, and a versys 650 or vstrom are best value for "adventure" riding.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    true, I tend to keep my head mostly in the street legal lines (which happens to be what the OP was asking about), of which 39hp is the norm for 300-400cc bikes.

the wr250 and xt250 are yamaha's dual sport options with 11.8:1 or 9.5:1 compression rations respectively instead of the yz250's 13.5:1 compression.

The big difference is emissions, and maintenence.

A street legal CRF250L claims 23HP, spark plug is due at 32K, valve clearance check every 16K, oil change every 8K, filter every 16K. Lots of people going thousands of miles on a single trip, or commuting daily on it in the US and around the world, there are a few bikes on ADV forums hitting 100K miles. This is a blog from a lady taking one around the world, and through all 7 continents http://www.stephmoto-adventurebikeblog.com/p/blog-page.html. This guy rode his to the 7 day Toureg Rally, completed it, and rode home with only an air filter and oil change needed https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1079731-what-did-you-do-to-your-crf250l-today/?page=219

A CRF250x claims 30HP, a CRF250R around 40HP, spark plugs/air filter/valve clearance are checked/cleaned/replaced and the oil changed every 15 hours, usually needa an engine rebuild around every 50-100 hours with an hour equaling about 40 miles. Offroad bikes make a ton of power, but it comes at a steep cost in maintenence.

Last edited:

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Shenandoah 500 is coming up in october. Its a fantastic dualsport. Camp overnight with a dew hundred other dualsporters. The local firehall puts up meals. All you can eat breakfasts and spagetti dinners. Top shelf organization. Its a 2 day event. About 500 miles of trails in 2 days. Spaces fill up fast.

This is not for the faint of heart on a bigger bike. The vids of the sand/silt runs from last year are pretty intimidating. I'm thinking of taking the tiger 800 out there.

soco

May 21, 2012
    Man, you guys are great! Love this community, people are so helpful.

FYI kohburn: I already bought that Drz I posted the pic of. 01 drz400e, and I put a Baja designs light kit on to get a plate.

Funny enough I managed to get a non off-road only title! Even though that's what this bike should have by all accounts. Got lucky there.

I'm travelling for work so I haven't had a chance to get her on the road but I'm rapidly accumulating parts, I have an easy thousand I want to put into it (chain/sprockets, racks, rads and guards, big tank, led aux lights etc). I have to reign myself in and at least get the damn thing on the road first! Hahaha

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm supposed to be in a poker run @ Blue Knob, PA in a couple weeks, ATV though. I don't think I have been to Blue Knob yet? Hatfield McCoy we were able to hit three different states by trail, at least that is what they told me at the time LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom