• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Interesting. Good for her, but I'd be willing to bet it won't be renewed if the Court's are no longer actively scrutinizing DC's actions when its time to re-apply? Unless, the appellate Court upholds Scullin or requires Shall Issue?

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Of course she got her permit. She has the power of the press on her side. She would have made so much noise about not getting her permit. DC ended that bad press by just giving it to her. Though her two threats were documented with the DC police, they were the kind of vague threats that pretty much any reporter or public figure would receive. I bet if you or I tried to get a permit with the same G&S reason we would be quickly denied.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm glad she got it, but to me this sets back the cause.

Now DC can say that the issue carry permits and judges will say, "alright then, good enough."

But she did show documented threats and such, so she should have gotten it anyway.

I agree. I think it is kind of a setback. Not really a victory if you still have to provide specific documented threats.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm glad she got it, but to me this sets back the cause.

Now DC can say that the issue carry permits and judges will say, "alright then, good enough."

But she did show documented threats and such, so she should have gotten it anyway.

I agree. Emily miller, a couple of connected DC people, likely campaign contributors if NYC is any model, and Bloomberg's bodyguards.

This is a net setback. I'd rather have an outright ban than an Orwellian "some pigs are more equal than others" outcome

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Plus, since DC residents have no ranges within the city, they'll have to go to Md or Va for the shooting portion of their permit requirement. Don't know if the classroom portion is even offered in DC proper.

Another unnecessary burden dumped on DC's residents by their politicians, all in the name of making the city safer.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Good on her, though this part was a little depressing:

16 out of 660,000. That's still effectively zero.

She keeps parroting a 20% approval rate based on the number of applicants (something like 76) and 16 approvals so far. She doesn't seem to "get it" that a ton of people DIDN'T even apply because they know they have no hope of passing the unconstitutional G&S portion of the application.

I really like Emily. I'm glad she's on our side. Still, she sometimes doesn't see the whole picture.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    She keeps parroting a 20% approval rate based on the number of applicants (something like 76) and 16 approvals so far. She doesn't seem to "get it" that a ton of people DIDN'T even apply because they know they have no hope of passing the unconstitutional G&S portion of the application.

I really like Emily. I'm glad she's on our side. Still, she sometimes doesn't see the whole picture.

Or sometimes "selectively edits reality" for whatever reason.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

She is beyond absurd with the 20% . And she has in my opinion vastly overstated the steps in getting a hone ownership permit and vastly understated the issue with DC carry permits.

I know a dozen DC residents who have home permits who would get carries, most of us have NR carry for Va., and who are not going to bother to pony up the money for an application knowing we will be turned down due to documented threat requirement.

Let's face facts, even if you never intend to carry, having a carry license gives you legal protection for all kinds of garbage inadvertent firearms violations DC has shown it is likely to persecute.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia

That would be me.:mad54:

Let's face facts, even if you never intend to carry, having a carry license gives you legal protection for all kinds of garbage inadvertent firearms violations DC has shown it is likely to persecute.

This is a very good point.:thumbsup:

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Let's not jump the gun here, so to speak. Preliminary approval subject to completing training is not a permit. She and the other 15 people still don't have a permit in hand. They've just been approved to receive a permit AFTER they pass DC's training program, which hasn't been formalized yet.

This foolishness is designed to dupe the public and the courts into thinking that DC has given 16 people carry permits when in reality no permits have been issued yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom