• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    There used to be an Army/Navy surplus store across from Lowes on Buckets town Pike. Just saw it is now a mattress store. I was going to go in there today and was bummed to see it's gone.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Ranger Surplus. I believe they closed 2 of their 3 locations. Frederick being one of them. I loved that Frederick store too. Rockville is their only location now.

Yes. The last time I was in there the kid at the counter said the place changed ownership. I didn't think anything of it.

So now we have 40 mattress places instead of just 39.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    So now we have 40 mattress places instead of just 39.
    And they all offer "clearance" twin mattresses that they never have in stock...
    We used to have a surplus store in Laurel at Rt 1 and Braygreen Rd. That closed years ago though. I've been to the Army/Navy in Rockville a time or two though.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    There's Beacon Surplus if your in the Waldorf area. Kinda like the old Sunny Surplus, so mostly cheap knockoffs, but once in awhile you can find something good.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Is H&H camping supply still open in Baltimore. That place was a fire trap full of outdoor gear and military surplus. Go armed, rough area.

Edit: Looks like they have moved to 5406 Harford Rd. in Parkville/Hampton area.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Stopped by Ranger Surplus once... Way overpriced milsurp gear and overstocked with cheaper Chinese goods. Their junk knife selection was amazing...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The reality is the post- WW II Golden Age of Surplus is long gone . Heck , it was on its last legs when I was a 'yute .

Decades ago the stores had to evolve or die . Sunny's died . Ranger Surplus as noted is rapidly dwindling .

Meanwhile Beacon Surplus has evolved into : Quality outdoor gear ( to include quality outdoor boots , canoes, and kayak, official BSA gear) , quality work wear , some milspec-ish newly mfg , some mil type knock offs . And the rare item of actual Surplus .

( Yes , this is a plug for Beacon. You people from other parts of the state stop by on your way to or from Gym Ratz and GLR Enterprises.)

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Sunny Surplus
    That's it! That was the one in Laurel we used to go to all the time. Bought my Boy Scouts uniforms there and always loved looking through the surplus items. I miss that store, every time I go past it (its a seafood place now), I reminisce.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_SFkSo4AI

Can't believe this video didn't bring people into the store

No big loss, I was excited when they first opened but Fox Tactical doesn't score high on my quality list. Their surplus really was junk and considering how much stuff is coming out of Ohio now I'm surprised they don't have current issue surplus. Got a friend that works a store in Bedford VA that is overflowing with with current issue surplus. The two dudes at the Fredrick store were more interested in wanna be survivor man. Hell the place was selling 20rd boxes of AE223 for like $8.99

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    When is was 12 or 13 I bought a 82nd Airborne tee shirt from Sonny’s Surplus in Wheaton that said “Kill them all, let God sort them out.” My mom made me return it. Still a little bitter about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom