• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AWOL

Jul 28, 2010
    If you're worried about having to start over again after dropping 2k, think about not getting an eotech and going with an aimpoint H1 instead. I've read too many stories of peoples EOTechs going down followed by poor customer service from L3.

I appreciate the advice! This video is actually pretty interesting:

Aimpoint v. EOTech

Aimpoint does seem like it's potentially more durable; has longer battery life, seals up nice & tight.

Still, I am just inclined towards the EOTech sight for this rig. :P I do wish that I could get my hands on an aimpoint before I buy anything (which could happen as I won't be buying all this in one go). I really, really like the 65 MOA circle that the EOTech has.

But I'm just gathering info here :D This will probably be one of those "birthday + christmas + anniversary" things lol (and a huge splurge at the end :D)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    So...

EOTech 557, flip-to-side 3x Magnifier (does L3 make these to match?) and Matech 600m

All of this mounted to the spot where my handle is currently -

I 100% understand why people like the marksman scopes - the one on my father's Ruger 10-22 is a blast. I originally set out for a simple holo replacement for my iron sights (1x) and then saw a flip-to-side 3x magnifier at the range last weekend (in combo with the holo sight). This particular rifle had an EOTech 557, 3x Magnifier and then front & back flip up BUIS. I was like, "I WANT THIS!" It was, however, picatanny rail all the way up and down.

The thing I don't want, though, is to spend another $2k or so and start from scratch again. I'll drop the cash for the EOTech, the magnifer and the BUIS, but I am sticking with my upper & lower.

So final questions:

Who makes a solid flip-to-side magnifier?

Can I get a BUIS that will fit underneath the flip-to-side magnifier? Is there something *better* than the Matech 600m? I definitely want something solid.

SCARCQB had a picture with a setup I really like:

Looks like the matech 600m is underneath of the magnifer.

Do I need to get new front handguards to fit all this on there? (With extra picatinny rail)

SCARCQB - what is in this setup if you don't mind letting me know? :) You said - Aimpoint 3x magnifier, LaRue FTS and EOTech 557 - are there more specific model numbers for the aimpoint and LaRue mount?

And all, I appreciate the help and advice - you guys are overwhelmingly informative :D

The Larue mount is model# Aimpoint 3X Magnifier 11324 With LaRue Tactical QD Pivot Mount LT649 ( for the mount only # LT69-30 goes for about 150.00, any 30mm magnifier will work with this and is definitely better than eotech/ aimpoint FTS mounts)
    This mount is in absolute co- witness configuration with the Eotech and Iron sights. It is highly recommended that you zero the Eotech and the irons independently, but if you deploy the rear sight, the reticle sits just right on top of the front sight post.

The BUIS ( back up Iron sight) is a Matech 600 meter sight. It is currently issued by Colt and USSOCOM for the SOPMOD M4 assault Rifle. Very accurate when deployed for longer distance shots, the BDC ( bullet drop compensator) is calibrated for 62 grain projectiles fired from the M4 carbine. It is also compact and fits under the 3X magnifier/ mount.

The Eotech 557 sits a bit higher compared to standard models. This makes it hard to shop for magnifiers. You are pretty much stuck with an Eotech magnifier/ mount to get them both to line up. You can play with riser mounts , but that takes rail space. You will also end up with a lower co-witness set-up instead of an absolute set-up.

My Colt groups < 1.0 MOA at 100 yards with this configuration. No brag, just facts. It gives me the sufficient speed to acquire targets quickly in both cqb and Medium distance engagements.

As for the front rail, No need for that... as long as you keep the original CAR type handguard. M4 type handguards are fat and will prevent you from mounting the eotech forward. You can also relieve M4 handguards with a hacksaw to make it work.

I hope this helps.

scar

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    So...

EOTech 557, flip-to-side 3x Magnifier (does L3 make these to match?) and Matech 600m

All of this mounted to the spot where my handle is currently -

I 100% understand why people like the marksman scopes - the one on my father's Ruger 10-22 is a blast. I originally set out for a simple holo replacement for my iron sights (1x) and then saw a flip-to-side 3x magnifier at the range last weekend (in combo with the holo sight). This particular rifle had an EOTech 557, 3x Magnifier and then front & back flip up BUIS. I was like, "I WANT THIS!" It was, however, picatanny rail all the way up and down.

The thing I don't want, though, is to spend another $2k or so and start from scratch again. I'll drop the cash for the EOTech, the magnifer and the BUIS, but I am sticking with my upper & lower.

So final questions:

Who makes a solid flip-to-side magnifier?

Can I get a BUIS that will fit underneath the flip-to-side magnifier? Is there something *better* than the Matech 600m? I definitely want something solid.

SCARCQB had a picture with a setup I really like:

Looks like the matech 600m is underneath of the magnifer.

Do I need to get new front handguards to fit all this on there? (With extra picatinny rail)

SCARCQB - what is in this setup if you don't mind letting me know? :) You said - Aimpoint 3x magnifier, LaRue FTS and EOTech 557 - are there more specific model numbers for the aimpoint and LaRue mount?

And all, I appreciate the help and advice - you guys are overwhelmingly informative :D

L3 does make a magnifier for the EOTECH, but its a 5x mag, still flips to the side n such, but its 500+ bones..

bjones

Aug 4, 2010
    Trijicon ACOG 4x32 w/Docter Red Dot.....

Lil Pricey, but you will not buy another.

AWOL

Jul 28, 2010
    Opinions on this:

"Super Extended Swan Sleeve (14")"
    l_100004847_1.jpg

Has integrated flip-up BUIS. Made by A.R.M.S. - $190ish. Is this cheap junk? Is this worth it? Will this add extra height and throw off, say, an EOTech 557 that already has 7MM built into it for the AR-15 sights? I like the idea of extra rail space :)

AWOL

Jul 28, 2010

I am giving some thought to Aimpoint; 80,000 hours of battery life in a "Zombie Invasion" type scenario could be very useful :P Probly won't come to that lol

I think I need to try one out or at least get my hands on one. I like the EOTech display, but with 600 hours(ish) on a battery, v. 80,000 on a AA -

Thank you for the links to those articles - very interesting. :)

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Personally I will never own another ARMS product. They are made with MIM, they are known to break leavers, they loosen up over time and they are an out dated design.

Add in the owner is a law suit happy prick and they aren't a company that deserves any support from the gun comumunity

Get a quality rail (DD or LaRue) and you have no need for that long of a riser, you can mount the optics on the rail, although not the best idea, if the rail is correctly installed.

The BUIS should be a Troy or LMT, if they are a little pricey, then the MBUIS is another option.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I've read from very reputable sources that the advertised EOTech battery life is vastly overstated. If you wanna carry around lots of spare batteries, and don't plan on depending on your optic, go for it :P Also heard that ARMS sucks for the reasons JeepDriver posted above.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I own both Aimpoints and Eotechs. Both are excellent RDO type optics. You can't really mess up by picking anyone of them. Old school guys like Aimpoints due to it's built like a tank reliability and its extremely long battery Life.

Some like the Eotechs due to its huge 65MOA circle/ 1 moa center dot reticle. which BTW, is a lot faster to pick-up than the Aimpoint's smaller dot. However, The laser Diode burns batteries quicker than the Aimpoint's ACET circuitry.

For SHTF... My Rifle's have Eotech's on them. I have a couple of Aimpoints, but as I got older, and my eyes start getting messed up. The Eotech's 65MOA reticle was easier for me to see. If Aimpoint can make a similarly sized reticle... I'd be the one of the first Eotech fanboy to switchover.

My Set-up results in 1moa groups at 100 yards, It is easy to engage soda cans at 300 yards. That should be good enough. BTW, I also have a BUIS and about 3 sets of batteries riding in the stock and grip for spares. JIC.

As for ARMS..... Their products are good but became outdated when other manufacturers came out with better designs. The standard QD lever mounts and Foregrip rails were pioneered by ARMS. I still have a couple of Rifles with the SIR ( selective interface rail) system on them. 10 years ago, they were state of the art. Better and more cost effective designs by other makers have taken their toll on its popularity

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I own both Aimpoints and Eotechs. Both are excellent RDO type optics. You can't really mess up by picking anyone of them. Old school guys like Aimpoints due to it's built like a tank reliability and its extremely long battery Life.

Some like the Eotechs due to its huge 65MOA circle/ 1 moa center dot reticle. which BTW, is a lot faster to pick-up than the Aimpoint's smaller dot. However, The laser Diode burns batteries quicker than the Aimpoint's ACET circuitry.

For SHTF... My Rifle's have Eotech's on them. I have a couple of Aimpoints, but as I got older, and my eyes start getting messed up. The Eotech's 65MOA reticle was easier for me to see. If Aimpoint can make a similarly sized reticle... I'd be the one of the first Eotech fanboy to switchover.

My Set-up results in 1moa groups at 100 yards, It is easy to engage soda cans at 300 yards. That should be good enough. BTW, I also have a BUIS and about 3 sets of batteries riding in the stock and grip for spares. JIC.

As for ARMS..... Their products are good but became outdated when other manufacturers came out with better designs. The standard QD lever mounts and Foregrip rails were pioneered by ARMS. I still have a couple of Rifles with the SIR ( selective interface rail) system on them. 10 years ago, they were state of the art. Better and more cost effective designs by other makers have taken their toll on its popularity

Excellent synopsis! I completely agree on the Eotech vs Aimpoint sight pictures. It is so much easier for me to pick-up my target with the EOTech. I had an Aimpoint style sight and after my first Carbine class, I was very unhappy with it. On my next class, I had the EOTech and it was night/day. Transitions were much easier and initial targeting was almost instantaneous. I'm now firmly that camp.

I've not had any battery issues, I always carry spares in the handgrip of my rifles. But if Aimpoint came out with the larger window and reticle, I would consider changing...

Jamie

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I despise EOTechs, I dont like having dead batteries, and I dont care that the newest Revision 376fhy5947cnjjjd8 rev: 878030309.1234

I have sold every one of them for 1/3 of what I paid for them and bought other optics that dont eat batteries as fast.

Its sad when cheapo chinese optics dont eat batteries like a $400.00 EOTech does.

Aimpoint for me.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    In 3 years I've put one set of batteries in my EOtech (552 A65) and I've used it a ton and hardly ever turn it off..... I think the battery issues are overstated but I like the ret much better than the aimpoin'st. But I think anyone will be happy with either as long as they pick the one they like better up front. I'd base my decision on your personal preference instead of buying too much into the AR vs. AK argument....

That said I have a 3X ACOG on my goto and have been trying to use it more when I go to shoots, it's not as good at some things but really shines at others and you could hit it with an EMP and it will still work. Not to mention you don't have to turn it on or off or ever worry about batteries going bad or leaking. :thumbsup:

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I despise EOTechs, I dont like having dead batteries, and I dont care that the newest Revision 376fhy5947cnjjjd8 rev: 878030309.1234

I have sold every one of them for 1/3 of what I paid for them and bought other optics that dont eat batteries as fast.

Its sad when cheapo chinese optics dont eat batteries like a $400.00 EOTech does.

Aimpoint for me.

Meh, one of mine is 18 months old, the other a few months older. Both are on their initial set of batteries, both get use, a lot. It's a non issue to me...

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Pat Rogers on EOTechs :
    It will run until it doesn't..
    And then what?

I'll throw my Aimoints across the room, downrange, bounce it off concrete- ant then put it on the gun and shoot it.
    I'll hold the carbine upside down and deop it on the Aimpoint.
    Every class.
    They still work.

Woud you do that with your eeeeoh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom