• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Alot of surplus .308 out there at AIM and others. CMP is the only game out there for the '06 though.

If so I stand corrected but there are other sources for 06....there are a LOT of pack rats out there willing to sell it off. Right place at the right time, when I go **** up I suspect there will be quite a few rounds on the open market.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    If so I stand corrected but there are other sources for 06....there are a LOT of pack rats out there willing to sell it off. Right place at the right time, when I go **** up I suspect there will be quite a few rounds on the open market.

You are correct. Alot of cans of '06 being sat on out there. Still I would say alot more .308/ 7.62x51NATO which is still being used. I don't think any nations out there are still producing '06 for their armies.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    You are correct. Alot of cans of '06 being sat on out there. Still I would say alot more .308/ 7.62x51NATO which is still being used. I don't think any nations out there are still producing '06 for their armies.

Maybe not BUT it was produced for 2 world wars, Korea and Vietnam, compared to them most others are mere skirmishes.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Maybe not BUT it was produced for 2 world wars, Korea and Vietnam, compared to them most others are mere skirmishes.

True the 06' had a long run, but there hasn't been a military firearm in the caliber produced in almost 60 years. Surplus of the 06' will last some time, but alot of the resellers are buying from CMP. 7.62x51NATO was the primary machine-gun round of all NATO countries until the mid 90's, and having been through the cold war buildup there are vast quantities out there. 5.56 is now the dominant round for both light machine-gun and infantry rifles.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    06 surplus is now selling for more than 308 again so quite a few guys are looking at converting their garands to 308.

I figure I'll reload the 06 and save the 308 for the M1a and FAL's.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    06 surplus is now selling for more than 308 again so quite a few guys are looking at converting their garands to 308.

I figure I'll reload the 06 and save the 308 for the M1a and FAL's.

Thankfully for reloading purposes you can use the same bullets in both calibers. I do 150gr and 169gr loads in each that work best for different rifles and minimize component cost by buying bulk.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    True the 06' had a long run, but there hasn't been a military firearm in the caliber produced in almost 60 years. Surplus of the 06' will last some time, but alot of the resellers are buying from CMP. 7.62x51NATO was the primary machine-gun round of all NATO countries until the mid 90's, and having been through the cold war buildup there are vast quantities out there. 5.56 is now the dominant round for both light machine-gun and infantry rifles.

Which blows IMHO. 6mm in 100gr would be a better man killer in a minimum size and weight increase.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I looked at that rifle Saturday, and it was a nice looking rifle. Enjoy, and let us know how she performs.

Will do, and likewise on the one you picked up! Which reminds me, how the hell did I manage to step away for 15 minutes and during that time a sweet little SA M1 appeared on your table?? I'm pretty sure it wasn't already in the room, and I was stood by the outside door for all but 5 mins when I went to the john. Grrrr :lol2:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Will do, and likewise on the one you picked up! Which reminds me, how the hell did I manage to step away for 15 minutes and during that time a sweet little SA M1 appeared on your table?? I'm pretty sure it wasn't already in the room, and I was stood by the outside door for all but 5 mins when I went to the john. Grrrr :lol2:

It was already in the room. A gentleman had been carrying it around for a while. He found something at another table he wanted, so decided to part with it. It now resides next to the Winchester I bought there last year ;) This one needs some parts changed to make it WW2 correct, and may not be worth investing that much time and money in to for that purpose. I haven't gauged the erosion yet, but bore looks good, so hope it will make a nice range rifle once I recrown the barrel.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    It was already in the room. A gentleman had been carrying it around for a while. He found something at another table he wanted, so decided to part with it. It now resides next to the Winchester I bought there last year ;) This one needs some parts changed to make it WW2 correct, and may not be worth investing that much time and money in to for that purpose. I haven't gauged the erosion yet, but bore looks good, so hope it will make a nice range rifle once I recrown the barrel.

It looked pretty sweet - definitely not something that'd been kicking around in the back of his truck for years!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    It sure is a purdy rifle. Now you need a CMP Garand in 30-06 AND it's baby sister (M1 carbine) to keep it company. Garands get lonely.

You might as well pick up an M1A too since you already have the .308 caliber.;)

Of my rifles, the Garand is probably my favorite. Enjoy it in good health.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    It looked pretty sweet - definitely not something that'd been kicking around in the back of his truck for years!

It was well taken care of, and worth the money. I went to the range today for a few minutes and thought about trying it out, but had to test another gun and didn't have enough time :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom