• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    Looks like a chain fire, primer wasn't seated properly. Hand loads, you have to inspect every one before you load it in the gun.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    After thinking about it, and looking at the depth of the flame cutting marks in the chambers themselves, my money is on too many high pressure handloads for too long, perhaps followed by the straw that broke the camel's back. A double charge, a squib, a chain fire as Dan said, some or other overpressure event. The cylinder finally cried uncle and broke apart, ripping the top strap off in the process which I'm betting already had significant flame cutting weakening it over the forcing cone. Just a guess anyway.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    email story I got with that picture was gentleman double charged with fast burning powder. He was not injured (except pride & wallet ) was wearing proper PPE at the time.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I would respectfully disagree with ya on that one. If you aren't paying attention to what your doing when reloading then you shouldn't be reloading. Having all the cases in a block as you are working keeps the process simple, fast and more organized in my opinion.

Obviously the guy in question shouldn't have been reloading that day, he blew it. Hopefully he got away intact enough to do it another day. Poo happens and he got bit.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    I would respectfully disagree with ya on that one. If you aren't paying attention to what your doing when reloading then you shouldn't be reloading. Having all the cases in a block as you are working keeps the process simple, fast and more organized in my opinion.

Absolutely agreed. However, having a progressive press with 5 stations, I've incorporated an RCBS lock out die that helps back me up my visual of the case with a mechanical stop. So far it has worked flawlessly although it does not take place of paying attention and visually inspecting the cases before they go into the seating die.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Too many "slightly overwarm" loads over a period of time, would have led to gun being loose and out of time. Before cumulative metal fatigue would have set in, gun would have been through several rebuilds.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    You can't double charge on a Dillon XL650 progressive loader and you can load a lot more ammo a lot faster.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    This is what happens when reloaders reload without starting low and working higher. Unintended pressures can wreak havoc. A small increase of powder can cause a much higher pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom