• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    One works in armalite pattern, one works in DPMS patterns. I forget which is which, type A is Armalite? Anyway, PMAGs are DPMS pattern (DPMS pattern mags are also called SR-25)

Armalite Models come in 2 varieties, the AR10A models take PMags, the AR10B models take the Armalite proprietary magazines. The A model came out after the B model, so check before you buy.

Q

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I bought one of the first run of those...it has run flawlessly....and is very accurate.

I made a few changes, swapped out the trigger for an ALG trigger, Magpul ACS-L buttstock and a VG6 Gamma muzzle break. Recoil is flatter now and trigger helped.

But very accurate (sub moa to 200 yards with my 150 fmj handloads).

Good to hear. Is it fairly easy to take down and clean? I would think it kinda easy, like an AR, but how is it getting the piston cleaned up and such? Thx

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Rather than build a .308 AR rifle, I think you'll be miles ahead buying a factory assembled one...the way you want it. Buying a kit or trying to assemble a lot of parts can be a real pain unless you or whomever does the work knows what they're doing. A friend bought a Black Rain Ordnance that needed assembling. He had someone do the work that supposedly knew what he was doing. That rifle would not function worth a damn. The guy reworked it and it still worked no better. I don't know whether he ever got the rifle sorted out.

I have three .308 AR-type rifles...a Colt LE901-SE, an Armalite AR-10 Carbine and an Armalite AR-10(T). All work flawlessly and are more than accurate for anything I can do with them.

Prices are down on such rifles. It's probably cheaper to buy one than assemble one.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Good to hear. Is it fairly easy to take down and clean? I would think it kinda easy, like an AR, but how is it getting the piston cleaned up and such? Thx

Pretty easy...break down of upper and lower is standard ar15/10....gas piston is removal of the plug at the gas block, then cleaning and scraping carbon off...then back in....have not taken handguards off yet, and honestly see no need to.

I clean the gas block/plug about every 1000-1500 rounds...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Rather than build a .308 AR rifle, I think you'll be miles ahead buying a factory assembled one...the way you want it. Buying a kit or trying to assemble a lot of parts can be a real pain unless you or whomever does the work knows what they're doing. A friend bought a Black Rain Ordnance that needed assembling. He had someone do the work that supposedly knew what he was doing. That rifle would not function worth a damn. The guy reworked it and it still worked no better. I don't know whether he ever got the rifle sorted out.

I have three .308 AR-type rifles...a Colt LE901-SE, an Armalite AR-10 Carbine and an Armalite AR-10(T). All work flawlessly and are more than accurate for anything I can do with them.

Prices are down on such rifles. It's probably cheaper to buy one than assemble one.

Depending, possibly. Cheapest I can find for parts, without sales, is going to run about $700 for the parts.

Also, unless you have a bad part or have no idea what you are doing, reliability shouldn't be an issue. AR-15 vs AR-10 is not all that different other than realizing there isn't one set spec on AR-10s.

Many in here have built dozens of AR-15s (and AR-10s) with no reliability issues. If you've never built an AR-15, an AR-10 is probably not the place to start. I've built 2 complete AR-15s plus a 3rd upper and all work flawlessly. I've have one double feed as the only failure out of about 500rnds between the one rifle, the one AR pistol and the one upper and that was definitely a magazine issue where it picked up two rounds, not an issue with the rifle.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    rob b, for hunting and long range shooting a good bull barrel bolt gun would be a prudent alternative. There are 20" barrel alternatives to the typical 24"26" standard lengths. That is how it worked out for me. More ergonomics than anything else.

jjsat

Apr 14, 2014
    Montgomery Co., MD
    I have an M&P 10. I've only changed out the stock but with ball ammo it's under 2 MOA. With 168gr match king it's MOA. Probably will do sub MOA if you upgrade the trigger and it's under 8 lbs. Runs reliably with steel ammo too.

Sirex