• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    True 5.56 barrels are inherently less accurate than Wylde and .223 chambers because of the longer lede section that puts a gap between the ogive and the rifling to allow the bullet to move before making contact with the rifling, preventing extreme chamber pressures. Some people call the space "jump" and blame it for reduced accuracy.

There's still room for experimenting with different rounds for the barrel.

Take note of not only the bullet weight but also the shape of the front and back of the bullet. Some guns like a boat tail bullet, some like a square straight back. Sometimes hollow point will make a difference. My AR shoots boat tail hollow point 62gr the best; my wife's AR isn't so picky.

GetzzBrah

Mar 3, 2016
    I think he is trying to point out that permanent thread locker may not be the best thing to use in this case. Also 35 foot lb seemed a little low for the original torque on the barrel. Good to see you bumped it up some and that may have helped a little

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think he is trying to point out that permanent thread locker may not be the best thing to use in this case. Also 35 foot lb seemed a little low for the original torque on the barrel. Good to see you bumped it up some and that may have helped a little

He would be wrong. #620 Loctite is the proper product to bed the Barrel to the Upper Receiver. Its also preferrable to Permatex when sealing Gas Keys to the Bolt Carrier.

The proper use is important. It only goes on the outer surface of the Barrel Extension, NOT on the Upper Receiver or Barrel Nut threads. Threads get 33MS/Aeroshell 64 Grease.

Its not "permanent", the Barrel can be removed is the Builder/Armorer/Smith has a padded vise and a block of wood.

The lower value of Torque on the Barrel Nut is preferrable if possible. Lower torque values mean less stress and distortion. I cant count how many customers that have brought me ARs that were not shooting well and in cases where the Barrel was not the cause, it was high torque values applied to the Barrel Nut and/or the Muzzle Device.

If people think I am giving bad info they are free to ignore my advice.

Here are pics from my class about bedding:

GetzzBrah

Mar 3, 2016
    I've learned from many of your posts and am glad that there are people like yourself on here. Maybe I read the post before yours wrong, just thought that was what he was trying to say/question

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've learned from many of your posts and am glad that there are people like yourself on here. Maybe I read the post before yours wrong, just thought that was what he was trying to say/question

No offense at all with you wanting explanation. :thumbsup:

The other guy was looking for a fight.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    He would be wrong. #620 Loctite is the proper product to bed the Barrel to the Upper Receiver. Its also preferrable to Permatex when sealing Gas Keys to the Bolt Carrier.

[talk]

If people think I am giving bad info they are free to ignore my advice.

You're so defensive. Never did I say it was wrong, I simply asked if a permanent threadlocker was the most appropriate compound. Beyond that Permatex and Loctite are the same company, using the same part numbers.

I'll feel free to ignore the words coming out of a disagreeable hothead, regardless of their verity.

The other guy was looking for a fight.

Oh shut the **** up Chad. I wanted to know why it's a better choice over blue, red, or purple. Blue and red will fail under heat eventually. Get over yourself dude.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You're so defensive. Never did I say it was wrong, I simply asked if a permanent threadlocker was the most appropriate compound. Beyond that Permatex and Loctite are the same company, using the same part numbers.

I'll feel free to ignore the words coming out of a disagreeable hothead, regardless of their verity.

Oh shut the **** up Chad. I wanted to know why it's a better choice over blue, red, or purple. Blue and red will fail under heat eventually. Get over yourself dude.

I never claimed they were different companies. They are different products. The permatex Gasket Sealer does a poor job for Gas Keys, the #620 Loctite does a great job for Gas Keys and Barrel Bedding.

You were looking for a fight, and you wont bait me. As far as "shutting the up", that wont happen as long as people value my advice and experience.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Or one could just buy one of the newer tighter spec'd BCM uppers. In my experience, the barrel to receiver fit is perfect requiring just a little heat on the receiver.

I've used this too (might have pulled the wrong one off the net). Seemed to work. I think it's more or less the 620 in a stick form. I've also used it to put a front sight base on with no pins or anything. Held until I took it off. Shot a couple position matches using the sling and all.
    http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-39150-Temperature-Bearing-9-gram/dp/B0053ZNOFK

What's the max temperature one could expose a barrel/receiver to and not damage it? I haven't really been able to come up with a solid number. Some time in the oven at 482° F would take care of the 620 according to the spec sheet. IIRC, a lower temperature softens it up too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Or one could just buy one of the newer tighter spec'd BCM uppers. In my experience, the barrel to receiver fit is perfect requiring just a little heat on the receiver.

I've used this too (might have pulled the wrong one off the net). Seemed to work. I think it's more or less the 620 in a stick form. I've also used it to put a front sight base on with no pins or anything. Held until I took it off. Shot a couple position matches using the sling and all.
    http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-39150-Temperature-Bearing-9-gram/dp/B0053ZNOFK

What's the max temperature one could expose a barrel/receiver to and not damage it? I haven't really been able to come up with a solid number. Some time in the oven at 482° F would take care of the 620 according to the spec sheet. IIRC, a lower temperature softens it up too.

Yup. Lots of BCM uppers are very tight at the mouth where the barrel fits. No bedding needed.

The down side is they are often too tight to use a lapping tool unless you heat the upper to about 200+ degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom