• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I recently decided to build an AR myself for the experience, and ran into some HUGE accuracy problems. I started with ZQI (supposedly 1 moa) 55gr ammo, and then tried 62gr green tip. Both types were shooting 6 MOA groups at both 100 and 50 yards, which is down right disgraceful, considering my .17 HMR will shoot 1 MOA at the same distance. I assemble the upper myself, and wanted to walk through what I should do to make it more accurate. Here's what's on it:

80% lower
    Single stage trigger
    Mako group stock
    Magpul M-Lok rifle length hand guard
    Anderson RF 85 upper and BCG
    20'' red x arms SS fluted barrel 1-8 twist (torqued to 35#)
    adjustable gas block
    Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 with Millett 1 piece scope mount.

What should I do to start trouble shooting? I already tried different ammo weights, should I try a different scope rings? I am concerned that the problem may be the barrel itself, but I want to make sure before I drop in a new barrel.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    55gr and 62gr rounds shouldn't be expected to give grand results in a 20" 1:8, hell 62gr greentips - not exactly known to be the tightest flying pills out there.

I'd find some Winchester Match, they use the Nosler 69gr custom comp. pill, should give you better results than what you've already gotten. And they're cheaper and easier to find than FGMM in .223

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I recently decided to build an AR myself for the experience, and ran into some HUGE accuracy problems. I started with ZQI (supposedly 1 moa) 55gr ammo, and then tried 62gr green tip. Both types were shooting 6 MOA groups at both 100 and 50 yards, which is down right disgraceful, considering my .17 HMR will shoot 1 MOA at the same distance. I assemble the upper myself, and wanted to walk through what I should do to make it more accurate. Here's what's on it:

80% lower
    Single stage trigger
    Mako group stock
    adjustable gas block

What should I do to start trouble shooting? I already tried different ammo weights, should I try a different scope rings? I am concerned that the problem may be the barrel itself, but I want to make sure before I drop in a new barrel.

Did you check the headspace?

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Similar thoughts about the accuracy potential of the ammo.

I have an upper with a Red-X SS 20 inch bull barrel that has not impressed me with factory match ammo or handloads. Maybe I'm expecting too much for the price it cost me. I'm thinking of re-crowning it and see if it improves.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Stock trigger?
    Do you have another AR that shoots better?
    6 is pretty bad. My dads bushmaster and my Delton shoot 2-3 with cheap ammo @ 100 from bags 1-2 with better ammo.

Is the POI moving around from group to group?
    What is the time spacing between shots?
    Using bags or some other rig?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Stock trigger?
    Do you have another AR that shoots better?
    6 is pretty bad. My dads bushmaster and my Delton shoot 2-3 with cheap ammo @ 100 from bags 1-2 with better ammo.

Is the POI moving around from group to group?
    What is the time spacing between shots?
    Using bags or some other rig?

Stock (cheap) trigger
    I do have another ar that shoots much better with the same ammo.
    POI in consistent, just not precise.
    Using sandbags.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    55gr and 62gr rounds shouldn't be expected to give grand results in a 20" 1:8, hell 62gr greentips - not exactly known to be the tightest flying pills out there.

I'd find some Winchester Match, they use the Nosler 69gr custom comp. pill, should give you better results than what you've already gotten. And they're cheaper and easier to find than FGMM in .223

I will try some and see what happens.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I did not square the receive face/extension
    The barrel extension was snug, but not tight. Slid in by hand easily.
    I did not check headspace as the barrel extension came installed with the barrel.
    Thanks guys your giving me a lot of things to check.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Squaring the face, if you have the tool and paste already, doesn't cost you anything. You will see improvements if the face isn't square, you just have to address the issue of having exposed aluminum after truing the face, not a large inconvenience.

The fit between the barrel extension and receiver (IMO), should be snug. To the point you need slight force to get the extension fully seated in the receiver.

Green Loctite (I forget the #, Chad would know), will act as a bedding compound. A drop or two goes a long way.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I had an entry level Bushmaster AR a few years ago that shot erratically for nearly a year. Talked with a Bushmaster tech and he said to send it to them (under warranty) so they could evaluate the matter. They retorqued that barrel and the problem was solved.

Shot my best ever match score with that piece, a neat 484/500.

Lew--Ranger63

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Squaring the face, if you have the tool and paste already, doesn't cost you anything. You will see improvements if the face isn't square, you just have to address the issue of having exposed aluminum after truing the face, not a large inconvenience.

The fit between the barrel extension and receiver (IMO), should be snug. To the point you need slight force to get the extension fully seated in the receiver.

Green Loctite (I forget the #, Chad would know), will act as a bedding compound. A drop or two goes a long way.

Loctite #620 :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've shot ZQI out my 20" RRA HBAR ant an Armalite carbine upper and it does no more than 3 moa. With those same guns, Federal 55 grain 223 brown box 100 round packs easily play inside 2" and frequently give me 1"'or slightly less groups.

Barrel or indtall is the culprit maybe?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I have re-installed the barrel after squaring the receiver face. I also used Loctite on the barrel extension. I have some better ammo to try as well, hopefully Ill get better results.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Range report. I reinstalled the barrel with Loctite as suggested after squaring the receiver face, although it required significantly more torque, I don't remember the exact number but some where around 60#, it required a lot of lapping to get it to that point. Its down to 4 MOA with Winchester target 556, which is the best I could find. While disassembling I noticed the end of the barrel was not crowned. I think that might be my next step before replacing the barrel. Any other suggestions?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

80% lower
    Single stage trigger
    Mako group stock
    adjustable gas block

Is this barrel marked 5.56?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom