• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I am looking for someone who could mentor me in deer hunting. I would like to get into hunting in general, and with the prices of beef now seems a good time as any. I have read quite a bit, but that's not a substitute for experience or a actual teacher. I tried (unsuccessfully) last winter several times, but started to late and the deer, at least on my property, had already gone nocturnal according to my trail cam. I am a competent shooter with a bow/or firearm, and have (I think) most of my own equipment. I am patient and willing to learn, and also willing to share my small 5 acres with plenty of deer.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Keep trying, be patient, learn your property and put the time and you will be successful. I started hunting at 21 and it took me a season or two to have success.

What part of SOMD are you in?

Being in SOMD, you should expect to SHOOT deer about 3% of the time.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Start planning now for next year's hunt.

Look for the game trails. Get 4 inch pipe, hang it 2 to 4 inches off the ground, fill it with corn, cover the top with an old bucket.

Keep filling the deer feeder with corn. They will seek out your feeder and continue coming to it, as long as there is food.

You can also plant a food plot, but that is involved.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Look for the game trails. Get 4 inch pipe, hang it 2 to 4 inches off the ground, fill it with corn, cover the top with an old bucket.

Keep filling the deer feeder with corn. They will seek out your feeder and continue coming to it, as long as there is food.

:thumbsup:Also set up so wind is either blowing from the food towards you or left to right of you and the corn if you cant set up any other way. Clear a path of leaves/twigs etc to your ground blind or tree stand you are going to hunt from. also clear a path to and from you feeder going left and right of where you will be shooting from for a good 20-30yds.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you habituate the deer to food and then shoot them over bait it's trapping, not hunting.

Oh, and the 3% joke is funny once.

jaybee

Ultimate Member

checkout the inner web and get on some local forums and clubs - don't forget a salt lick

BTW - if you or a freind have any apple or pear trees - deer go nuts for them. We would pick apple/pears off the ground and take them into the woods :thumbsup:

http://dthunting.us/deer-hunting-tip-how-to-use-salt-licks/

http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/homemade-deer-feeders.html

http://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/how-to-make-a-homemade-deer-feeder

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Make a zig zag trail to your ground blind or tree stand. Dont make a straight line. Deer will find a straight line trail and use it. Dont go in to your stand at the same time every day.They will know when you've been in there and you will never see em. They will bed down near the trail and watch and wait for you to come in then just move out at their leasure when you have passed.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    If you habituate the deer to food and then shoot them over bait it's trapping, not hunting.

Oh, and the 3% joke is funny once.
    It actually gets 3% funnier each time it is told.

It's only hunting if you chase them down with a pointy stick wearing nothing but a loin cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom