• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I have been shooting for since I was 6 (I am 21) and lived in SOMD all my life, but I never have had a chance to go hunting; it has always appealed to me, but no one has taught me how. I would like to hunt deer, and I have land for it, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Starting off with smaller game sounds like a better choice, but the only unprotected species, groundhog and nutria, do not live on my 6.5 acres. I am really looking for a mentor to teach me how to hunt preferable with something smaller first. I have my hunter education certificate, but what’s stopping me is that I want to learn how to hunt, not just go out and shoot things. Is anyone willing to take me under their wing and teach me how to hunt groundhogs and later on deer?

Abraxaslotus

Jan 8, 2012
    Cecil County
    I started with rabbits,

Is a good way to learn your land, practice safe hunting, and to help get a good feel of what shooting game is like.

Remember that the work only truly starts after you get something....haha

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OP,

If you haven't taken a MD DNR Hunter Education course, you should.

They are free. You have the basic Hunter Education. There are Bow Hunting, and muzzloading classes for specialized training.

Did I mention the classes are free?

Being in St Marys; you have the choice of three locations for HE: Sanners Lake, Pax River, and the Coon Hunters association.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Groundhog is easy. Sit in a field, wait for one to show up, shoot it. Repeat throughout the day.

I understand that. I just didn't want to lead the OP into thinking I knew something I didn't. I really want to go Prairie Dog shooting, but Groundhog would be a good start rather than heading out to SD or ND.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If you have the acreage for it...you are ahead of many people! You have an untapped resource of renewable organic venison!! Best bet is to get a muzzle loader and a crossbow to extend your season:) good luck!

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    If you have some larger fields in St. Mary's I'll show you how to hunt them.

There are lots of fields around me, but none that I have permission to hunt, although I have not asked.

OP,

If you haven't taken a MD DNR Hunter Education course, you should.

They are free. You have the basic Hunter Education. There are Bow Hunting, and muzzloading classes for specialized training.

Did I mention the classes are free?

Being in St Marys; you have the choice of three locations for HE: Sanners Lake, Pax River, and the Coon Hunters association.

I have taken my hunter education class.

Where are you in st mary's Rab?

I live about 3 miles away from Leonard town square.

If you have the acreage for it...you are ahead of many people! You have an untapped resource of renewable organic venison!! Best bet is to get a muzzle loader and a crossbow to extend your season:) good luck!

I believe I have enough acreage, or so i have been told, i live on 6.5 acres, all wooded and surrounded by woods.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    How about starting with squirrel with a .22......then moving up to deer. I'm in charles county just over the st marys line and could point you in the right direction in you want.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I hunted on less acreage...but just be aware that deer can run a long ways if you dont have a good shot on it. Even with a well placed shot deer can possibly run up to 100yds or more, but the best shots with my bow the deer ran maybe 40yds...Ive only dropped one deer in its tracks with a bow...With the muzzle loader I dropped 2 in their tracks. Thats why I recommend a bow.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    While I still think it is wise to have someone teach you, here is a good site if you haven't heard of it.
    http://www.foremosthunting.com

I would love to teach you to hunt for groundhog but I have never done that before.

Find an active hole, set up within range and out of sight, wait for it to pop its head up, and fire.

The other way to hunt groundhogs is with long range shooting over open grass fields. You need some decent glass though to look for them and a rifle that can reach out and touch them. Longest shot I tried on one was 500 yards at a group hunt in PA. Bad judgement of the wind resulted in a near miss.

With that said, I rarely plan to hunt groundhogs. They are more of a target of opportunity while I am out hunting for something else. Only time I have actually hunted them is at the request of farm owners, and that was with a rifle whenever they stuck their heads out of the hole. The farmers tend to know where all the active holes are.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Between online reading and the library there is a TON of information out there. Rabbit and squirrel with a shotgun are good starts. Sounds like y6ou really don't know what you're doing BUT want to learn. If you have neighbors... don't go shooting a .22 in the air at squirrel. :rolleyes: What goes up will come down and do serious damage. I don't know but I don't think you're that far out in the boonies.

Kick the brush for rabbit and have fun, I rather eat rabbit than anything. I LOVE it slow fried!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom